Remove this Banner Ad

Yezeha

All Australian
Feb 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Ok my heart rate has finally receded to a safe level thanks to some ASMR relaxation vids. Now lets get to it.

First and foremost, not the best performance but a bloody good win. This is exactly the kind of game that we lose 9 times out of 10 in previous years but there's something about this new and improved Collingwood. Something that makes me think they're gonna do great things in 2018. As Bucks said in his postgame presser however, that was probably the most disappointing defensive performance of the season. While Howe and co seemed to control the air in our back 50, as soon as the ball hit the ground, we were cooked. There was also some poor ball use coming out of defence. Our offensive scheme however, made this game watchable and at times, quite enjoyable. I find myself with a newfound faith that we can pretty much generate goals at will against most opposition and this would've been a pretty comfy victory if not for the leaky back 6.

Anyhoo, its that time again where I dub everyone of the 22 with a stupid nickname and give a brief synopsis on how I thought their game was. I'm gonna add a little bit of a new thingy this week where I rate their performance out of 10. Hope it goes well (and once again, I don't have amazing memory so I might not get everything right but this is meant to be a starting point for a discussion amongst the Magpie family. Please don't bite me head off)

Ramble Ramble Ramble... Lets gooooo:

2. Air Jordan (10/10)

After a thoroughly disappointing performance in a big game last week, this dude came up huge this week. His final statline is thoroughly impressive but the way he came through in the clutch, firstly clunking a terrific mark and nailing the kick, then setting up Jet's sealer, was what really stood out to me. This is why you just don't drop this guy even after a poor performance. He's just a gun.

4. El Grundog (5/10)

After being beaten by Nankervis last week, I was hoping for a bit of a bounce back game from him. Unfortunately, he only seemed to regress more. I know the shin complaint might have limited him today but he was once again beaten by Martin, particularly around the ground which is where he normally excels. However, if 90% of the other ruckmen in the league produced Grundy's stat line from today, that would probably be a great game for them (11 tackles is pretty amazing for a ruckman). Just goes to show how much he's raised the bar this year. Hopefully he breaks out of this mini slump and tears Stanley (or Smith or Blicavs or whichever fool is playing ruck for Geelong this year) a new one next week.

7. Ads Treloar (8/10)

I just love it that a running goal from beyond the arc is becoming a weekly thing from this dude. Not as prolific as previous weeks but maintained the great form he's been in since the Crows game. His ball use too has noticeably improved. (He went at 62% today but I didn't notice any howlers) He's back to the A-grade standard that we expect from him.

9. Zippy (5/10)

That may be a harsh grade especially since he's one of my favourites but his ball use exiting the defensive 50 was pretty poor. The stats back this up as he only went at 54% DE for the day with 7 of his 24 disposals being handballs. He also let Taylor get off the leash a few times and was unfortunately a chief culprit letting the ball get over the back at times.

10. Pendles (8/10)

Well that ******* sucks. Was clearly the most influential midfielder on the ground before his injury but I did notice a few of his defensive efforts particularly early on in the game being not up to standard. He missed several defensive 50 tackles early on which we were lucky the Lions didn't punish us for. Still, his offensive output clearly mitigates any defensive mistakes he makes and our chance to beat Geelong would be slim at best without Pendles in the lineup.

11. Weeman (4/10)

Maybe harsh grading him but some of you guys will think I'm being generous. The dude is a limited player. Simple as that. But he gives it his all and was pretty clean in contested situations at times. Not much more to say. He's probably done enough to retain his spot for next week but there are better players than him on the sideline.

12. Schazzzzz (7/10)

Was probably one of the brighter spots in a messy day for the back 6. Along with Howe and Murray, generally controlled the air with some good intercept marking and spoiling but was exposed at ground level. Also got exposed for a lack of height once or twice by McStay and the other forward who has the same surname as an umpire or something. I dunno. But that's to be expected since he's largely been playing as an undersized second tall defender this year.

13. Tay Adams (3/10)

Not a good return for him but probably not entirely his fault. YEZEHA TO BUCKS: TAY ISN'T A ******* DEFENDER! STOP TRYING TO MAKE HIM ONE. He should be in the guts releasing Pendles, Sidey and Treloar or even tagging Zorko. Throwing him back there seemed to mess the entire chemistry of the back 6 up and screwed with Tay's game.

15. Dunn Dunn Dunnnnnnnn (7/10)

Unlike Treloar's running goal from 50, I hope Dunn gifting cheap goals to the opposition isn't becoming a weekly thing. I guess he did his job by keeping Hipwood goalless and largely out of the game. Not much else to say.

16. The Mayne Man (5/10)

He worked hard but like Blair, is just a seriously limited player who really isn't in the best 22. He doesn't really add anything that someone like Elliott, Fasolo or even Crocker can't give you. His defensive pressure, outside of one or two futile chases early on, wasn't really there. Still, nice for him to hit the scoreboard and (sigh) he probably did enough statistically to warrant another game next week.

18. Trav Varcoe (7/10)

Was probably the best of the 4 ins we brought this week. Just did more of the forward line glue-guy things he normally does and really lifted particularly after Pendles went down. Also kicked a sweet goal on his non-preferred to steady the ship a little in the third quarter.

21. Flippa (9/10)

I thought he was really good today, probably even better than last week and I maintain the opinion that he gets judged way too harshly on here. He's a great role player and his work rate as a link man is exactly what this team needs. Sure he gets the fumbles sometimes and may shank a kick or two but that's the sort of stuff that goes away with more experience. I love him and I think he's having a tremendous year.

22. Sidearse (9/10)

Was our most prolific ball winner on the ground and bounced back nicely after a bit of a downer last week. Also stood up when Pendles went down. Generally used it well but failed to really impact the scoreboard. He could've probably sealed the game early in the last if he kicked that goal but still, good game Steele.

24. Jaytee (9/10)

A welcome return to form for him after a quieter two weeks. Kicked 3 goals in the second quarter to help steady the ship after the first of several Brisbane charges. I admit, I was guilty of quietly thinking he needed a spell in the Magoos but I'm happy to be eating humble pie at the moment.

25. Crispy (6/10)

Was solid without doing anything particularly great or memorable. Ball use was a bit of a concern too considering he went at only 68% DE. I guess it was his turn to have a quieter one today.

30. Please sir, may I have some Moore? (2/10)

Poor return from him. Outside of kicking that nice goal in the second quarter, did just about nothing. I was hoping he'd exceed or at least match Reid's output but he didn't come close. We need Moore out of him (heheheheh) against the Cats who he normally plays well against from memory.

31. Apples (Not Jackson Ramsay) (4/10)

After a promising debut last week in a high pressure game, he came back down to Earth quite hard this week. Was one of the main culprits in allowing the ball over the back too many times and some of his defensive efforts weren't up to AFL standard. Would like to see him make way for Maynard if he's healthy as I don't think he and Murray are experienced enough to play in the same backline together.

32. WHE (4/10)

Was a serious downer this week from him. After a really impactful first half against Richmond, he's really been underwhelming in the 6 quarters since. Like De Goey though, he's just too talented to be dropped and I really expect a bounce back game from him against the Cats.

35. Jet (7/10)

A seriously mixed bag from him today in my opinion. Had a few rookie moments where he either turned the ball over by foot or sold his teammates into trouble with poor decision making. He did bob up at opportune times to kick 2 goals including the sealer. I guess he avoids the demotion to the VFL this week but part of me feels like its coming at some point this season.

38. Howe did he do that? (7/10)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He along with the rest of the back 6 largely controlled the air, particularly early on, but was seriously exposed once it hit ground level. Didn't quite play to the crazy standard he did last week either. Still, 7/10 seems fair for doing some of the typical great things he does week in week out. (Also love it when he hits the scoreboard)

39. Crockerdile (4/10)

More of the same from him. Has failed to hit the scoreboard in his last two games but his work rate and attitude are really first class. Unfortunately, one of he and Mayne need to be dropped as I don't think having two of essentially the same kind of player is good for our forward line's dynamic.

46. Big Cox (5/10)

Played the kind of game we're probably gonna get out of him more often than not. Competed well in the air and kicked a goal. However, in the dying stages of the match, he really showcased the situational value he can bring to this team with those two clutch contested marks, the second of which led directly to the sealer.

As for changes this week, I'd make the following.

In: Fasolo, Wells, Maynard, Sier
Out: One of Crocker/Mayne, Blair, Appelby, Pendlebury (if injured)

The reasoning behind these being Appelby's defensive mistakes and poor use going the other way, Crocker and Mayne being largely the same kind of player, and Blair just being Blair while Wells is Wells. The obvious situational change is Sier in for an injured Pendlebury after a BOG (?) performance in the VFL this weekend.

Overall, I hope you enjoyed reading my weekly thingy as much as I enjoyed writing it. The rating system is a bit of a work in progress too so that might be some fresh cause for debate this week. Feel free to leave your opinions and stuff in the thread. Toodles :D

Good write up. I do thoroughly enjoy reading your player reviews.
I was screaming at my phone when Blair was getting midfield minutes that should have belonged to Adams. Taylor needs to be at the bottom of packs doing grunt work if we are to get the most out of him.

Would you put a rating on Bucks for the game?

You were also spot on saying that this is the type of game we have lost in the past. The boys never threw in the towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was most impressed with Phillips today, I usually sledge him but he was outstanding!! Well done young man.

Shaz pulling out of the contest running back with the flight, pathetic and cost us a goal.

Ok my heart rate has finally receded to a safe level thanks to some ASMR relaxation vids. Now lets get to it.

First and foremost, not the best performance but a bloody good win. This is exactly the kind of game that we lose 9 times out of 10 in previous years but there's something about this new and improved Collingwood. Something that makes me think they're gonna do great things in 2018. As Bucks said in his postgame presser however, that was probably the most disappointing defensive performance of the season. While Howe and co seemed to control the air in our back 50, as soon as the ball hit the ground, we were cooked. There was also some poor ball use coming out of defence. Our offensive scheme however, made this game watchable and at times, quite enjoyable. I find myself with a newfound faith that we can pretty much generate goals at will against most opposition and this would've been a pretty comfy victory if not for the leaky back 6.

Anyhoo, its that time again where I dub everyone of the 22 with a stupid nickname and give a brief synopsis on how I thought their game was. I'm gonna add a little bit of a new thingy this week where I rate their performance out of 10. Hope it goes well (and once again, I don't have amazing memory so I might not get everything right but this is meant to be a starting point for a discussion amongst the Magpie family. Please don't bite me head off)

2. Air Jordan (10/10)

After a thoroughly disappointing performance in a big game last week, this dude came up huge this week. His final statline is thoroughly impressive but the way he came through in the clutch, firstly clunking a terrific mark and nailing the kick, then setting up Jet's sealer, was what really stood out to me. This is why you just don't drop this guy even after a poor performance. He's just a gun.

4. El Grundog (5/10)

After being beaten by Nankervis last week, I was hoping for a bit of a bounce back game from him. Unfortunately, he only seemed to regress more. I know the shin complaint might have limited him today but he was once again beaten by Martin, particularly around the ground which is where he normally excels. However, if 90% of the other ruckmen in the league produced Grundy's stat line from today, that would probably be a great game for them (11 tackles is pretty amazing for a ruckman). Just goes to show how much he's raised the bar this year. Hopefully he breaks out of this mini slump and tears Stanley (or Smith or Blicavs or whichever fool is playing ruck for Geelong this year) a new one next week.

7. Ads Treloar (8/10)

I just love it that a running goal from beyond the arc is becoming a weekly thing from this dude. Not as prolific as previous weeks but maintained the great form he's been in since the Crows game. His ball use too has noticeably improved. (He went at 62% today but I didn't notice any howlers) He's back to the A-grade standard that we expect from him.

9. Zippy (5/10)

That may be a harsh grade especially since he's one of my favourites but his ball use exiting the defensive 50 was pretty poor. The stats back this up as he only went at 54% DE for the day with 7 of his 24 disposals being handballs. He also let Taylor get off the leash a few times and was unfortunately a chief culprit letting the ball get over the back at times.

10. Pendles (8/10)

Well that ******* sucks. Was clearly the most influential midfielder on the ground before his injury but I did notice a few of his defensive efforts particularly early on in the game being not up to standard. He missed several defensive 50 tackles early on which we were lucky the Lions didn't punish us for. Still, his offensive output clearly mitigates any defensive mistakes he makes and our chance to beat Geelong would be slim at best without Pendles in the lineup.

11. Weeman (4/10)

Maybe harsh grading him but some of you guys will think I'm being generous. The dude is a limited player. Simple as that. But he gives it his all and was pretty clean in contested situations at times. Not much more to say. He's probably done enough to retain his spot for next week but there are better players than him on the sideline.

12. Schazzzzz (7/10)

Was probably one of the brighter spots in a messy day for the back 6. Along with Howe and Murray, generally controlled the air with some good intercept marking and spoiling but was exposed at ground level. Also got exposed for a lack of height once or twice by McStay and the other forward who has the same surname as an umpire or something. I dunno. But that's to be expected since he's largely been playing as an undersized second tall defender this year.

13. Tay Adams (3/10)

Not a good return for him but probably not entirely his fault. YEZEHA TO BUCKS: TAY ISN'T A ******* DEFENDER! STOP TRYING TO MAKE HIM ONE. He should be in the guts releasing Pendles, Sidey and Treloar or even tagging Zorko. Throwing him back there seemed to mess the entire chemistry of the back 6 up and screwed with Tay's game.

Unlike Treloar's running goal from 50, I hope Dunn gifting cheap goals to the opposition isn't becoming a weekly thing. I guess he did his job by keeping Hipwood goalless and largely out of the game. Not much else to say.

16. The Mayne Man (5/10)

He worked hard but like Blair, is just a seriously limited player who really isn't in the best 22. He doesn't really add anything that someone like Elliott, Fasolo or even Crocker can't give you. His defensive pressure, outside of one or two futile chases early on, wasn't really there. Still, nice for him to hit the scoreboard and (sigh) he probably did enough statistically to warrant another game next week.

18. Trav Varcoe (7/10)

Was probably the best of the 4 ins we brought this week. Just did more of the forward line glue-guy things he normally does and really lifted particularly after Pendles went down. Also kicked a sweet goal on his non-preferred to steady the ship a little in the third quarter.

21. Flippa (9/10)

I thought he was really good today, probably even better than last week and I maintain the opinion that he gets judged way too harshly on here. He's a great role player and his work rate as a link man is exactly what this team needs. Sure he gets the fumbles sometimes and may shank a kick or two but that's the sort of stuff that goes away with more experience. I love him and I think he's having a tremendous year.

22. Sidearse (9/10)

Was our most prolific ball winner on the ground and bounced back nicely after a bit of a downer last week. Also stood up when Pendles went down. Generally used it well but failed to really impact the scoreboard. He could've probably sealed the game early in the last if he kicked that goal but still, good game Steele.

24. Jaytee (9/10)

A welcome return to form for him after a quieter two weeks. Kicked 3 goals in the second quarter to help steady the ship after the first of several Brisbane charges. I admit, I was guilty of quietly thinking he needed a spell in the Magoos but I'm happy to be eating humble pie at the moment.

25. Crispy (6/10)

Was solid without doing anything particularly great or memorable. Ball use was a bit of a concern too considering he went at only 68% DE. I guess it was his turn to have a quieter one today.

Poor return from him. Outside of kicking that nice goal in the second quarter, did just about nothing. I was hoping he'd exceed or at least match Reid's output but he didn't come close. We need Moore out of him (heheheheh) against the Cats who he normally plays well against from memory.

After a promising debut last week in a high pressure game, he came back down to Earth quite hard this week. Was one of the main culprits in allowing the ball over the back too many times and some of his defensive efforts weren't up to AFL standard. Would like to see him make way for Maynard if he's healthy as I don't think he and Murray are experienced enough to play in the same backline together.

32. WHE (4/10)

Was a serious downer this week from him. After a really impactful first half against Richmond, he's really been underwhelming in the 6 quarters since. Like De Goey though, he's just too talented to be dropped and I really expect a bounce back game from him against the Cats.

35. Jet (7/10)

A seriously mixed bag from him today in my opinion. Had a few rookie moments where he either turned the ball over by foot or sold his teammates into trouble with poor decision making. He did bob up at opportune times to kick 2 goals including the sealer. I guess he avoids the demotion to the VFL this week but part of me feels like its coming at some point this season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. He along with the rest of the back 6 largely controlled the air, particularly early on, but was seriously exposed once it hit ground level. Didn't quite play to the crazy standard he did last week either. Still, 7/10 seems fair for doing some of the typical great things he does week in week out. (Also love it when he hits the scoreboard)

39. Crockerdile (4/10)

More of the same from him. Has failed to hit the scoreboard in his last two games but his work rate and attitude are really first class. Unfortunately, one of he and Mayne need to be dropped as I don't think having two of essentially the same kind of player is good for our forward line's dynamic.

46. Big Cox (5/10)

Played the kind of game we're probably gonna get out of him more often than not. Competed well in the air and kicked a goal. However, in the dying stages of the match, he really showcased the situational value he can bring to this team with those two clutch contested marks, the second of which led directly to the sealer.

The reasoning behind these being Appelby's defensive mistakes and poor use going the other way, Crocker and Mayne being largely the same kind of player, and Blair just being Blair while Wells is Wells. The obvious situational change is Sier in for an injured Pendlebury after a BOG (?) performance in the VFL this weekend.

Overall, I hope you enjoyed reading my weekly thingy as much as I enjoyed writing it. The rating system is a bit of a work in progress too so that might be some fresh cause for debate this week. Feel free to leave your opinions and stuff in the thread. Toodles :D
Would be better if I knew who Jet, Zippy and Flippa were.

There's simply no point asking for Fasolo and Wells to come in at this stage. Bucks doesn't seem interested in adding class to the side for some unknown reason.

We're simply carrying way too many "tryers" and "hard workers" at the minute. I'm willing to trade some "effort" for silk.

There's simply no point asking for Fasolo and Wells to come in at this stage. Bucks doesn't seem interested in adding class to the side for some unknown reason.

We're simply carrying way too many "tryers" and "hard workers" at the minute. I'm willing to trade some "effort" for silk.
Wells needed condition to run out a game.. How hard is that to understand?

Yep, the coaching group are keeping the elite talents of Wells out of the side for what you said.

Not sure that’s quite correct.

Good write up.

A few notes:

1. I think Adams was forced back because of how badly we were getting beaten at ground level. But he didn't really have much of an influence so moved onto the ball late. I agree, he needs to play in the guts.

2. Sidebottom was great, but he was also responsible for Zorko. Both were great, but I'd probably give Zorko the points. So he gets some points deducted for not minding Zorko more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should let our conditioning staff know, I'm sure they'll appreciate the advice from a seasoned pro like yourself.

Maybe I should. Because our fitness and conditioning has been a shining example of how to get injured and underdone players back hastily right?

In the last quarter I said "they know they've got us" as they made their surge. I was overwhelmed by the response from us that came after they drew level.
I disagree with the criticism of Appleby. He looks a long term prospect as a medium small defender. The speed with which he has moved from rookie list to seniors suggests that the club thinks so too.
Phillips is slowly gaining recognition for his quality. He carried the criticism Appleby is getting last year.
Cox is showing why he was recruited and retained.
Stephenson continues to surprise me, not least with his stamina. I thought he was too lean to get many games this year.
Mayne is holding down Aish's spot, and should do so for a while. He is not playing as the third tall forward, and should not be assessed as if he is.
Blair did a lot, and although he is limited, he has to be pushed out from below, because he was adequate yeasterday.
Adams and Moore will benefit from the run. I thought they were both alright.
Grundy is not fit, but will probably keep playing.
Tactically, our players were caught out a bit running too far ahead of contests. Hawthorn do this on the assumption that the likes of Burgoyne will always beat their man and therefore it is safe to go early. I think our players have to persist, but be aware of who they choose to run for and when. More conservative decisions for the ones that win fewer contests, keep the attack for those that win more. Not easy.
Not having Langdon upset our defensive tactics. His ability on the ground as well as his exceptional marking opened up a lot of the crumbs that Brisbane got.
Likewise Maynard was missed.

2. Air Jordan (10/10)

4. El Grundog (5/10)

7. Ads Treloar (8/10)

9. Zippy (5/10)

10. Pendles (8/10)

11. Weeman (4/10)

12. Schazzzzz (7/10)

13. Tay Adams (3/10)

16. The Mayne Man (5/10)

18. Trav Varcoe (7/10)

21. Flippa (9/10)

22. Sidearse (9/10)

24. Jaytee (9/10)

25. Crispy (6/10)

32. WHE (4/10)

35. Jet (7/10)

39. Crockerdile (4/10)

46. Big Cox (5/10)

Liked your review. A few comments

Murray - Someone needs to get in his ear and explain not every pass needs to be an exocet. Needs some finesse in his delivery and teams have worked him out a bit. Love how he has started his career but he has reached a bit of a challenge.

Shaz - Great year to date but struggled on Sunday along with most of the backline. A mobile tall in particular could be asking too much of him. His free in the 1st then the two strong marks close to Brissie goals left him in situations where he was undermanned for the job. With time we need a Moore or McLarty down back to cover thos types.

Blair - 4/10 too harsh , he was effective and did his job. One of his better recent games. He is not best 22 and I hope Wells, Sier, fas etc come in over he and Mayne this week but both were 5-6/10 for me.

Seems the fitness and coaching staff disagree.
They obviously think he's fit enough to run full games in the VFL and it also doesn't mean they're right though.

I don't think Shaz had a bad game. Just think he was outgunned against a super tall and athletic opponent. He was monstered in the same way Mason Cox often monsters opponents.

But you can hardly say Brisbane's talls smashed us. The damage was done at ground level.

Clearly not one of Scharenbergs best games, but I wouldn't call it a bad game either. I think the whole defensive group was off their game a bit.

You should let our conditioning staff know, I'm sure they'll appreciate the advice from a seasoned pro like yourself.
Looks like our conditioning staff need all the advice they can get given that they thought Adams and Moore were ready to play in the seniors yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back