Polec chooses Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole "promoted from within" in regards to Poulos is bollocks. Season 2013 was his SECOND year with us. He hired him from outside to replace Schwerdt, with a one year handover. We helped facilitate Schwerdt move away, after all.

When Burgess became available, it was due diligence to chase him (he's a more qualified candidate), but we didn't secure him, so we went with our original plan.

It's not like we promoted the tea lady because of it.

Yes, I realise it was his second year with the Crows, however, 2013 was his first year in charge of our fitness programme. He did a great job in 2012 as our strength and conditioning coach, but that doesn't mean he's suited to setting out an entire fitness programme for AFL players. From my understanding, he'd done very little work with Australian Rules Football before coming to the Crows, then in his second year involved with the sport, he finds himself in the head fitness role. Like I said, we'll find out if he's the best person for that position next season.

Do you know for a fact that there was a succession plan in place regarding Schwerdt and Poulos, or are you just assuming that?

Poulos was not hired to replace Schwerdt, but when it became known that Schwerdt would be leaving (and it was known a fair way in advance) he became the logical replacement.

I'm pretty sure Poulos is more qualified than Burgess as well, though I had a debate about this with someone a few weeks back without any real conclusion so I won't say I'm sure.

Did any other club give up their first round pick? Melbourne and Port only I think.

Seems to be most other clubs desperately held onto their first round picks with a helluva lot of trading for second round picks.

Hawks Pick's 18 & 19 both went to St Kilda. Hawks no 1st rounder.
These stayed in the first round:
Pick 2 - Melb -> GWS Pick 9
Pick 6 - Pick 11 swap Coll/WCE

Poulos was not hired to replace Schwerdt, but when it became known that Schwerdt would be leaving (and it was known a fair way in advance) he became the logical replacement.

I'm pretty sure Poulos is more qualified than Burgess as well, though I had a debate about this with someone a few weeks back without any real conclusion so I won't say I'm sure.

Poulos & Burgess have similar qualifications, but I think Burgess' history with the Power & Liverpool makes his experience "better".

NP - PhD in Exercise Science
DB - PhD in Kinesiology & Exercise Science

I know SFA about Poulos, but IMO he has next season to save his job. We were among the least fit teams in the AFL last year. Very poorly prepared. It might not have been his fault alone but FFS that cant happen again and keep your job as fitness coach.

Poulos & Burgess have similar qualifications, but I think Burgess' history with the Power & Liverpool makes his experience "better".

NP - PhD in Exercise Science
DB - PhD in Kinesiology & Exercise Science

My impression was that Poulos had considerably better international experience, but Burgess has actually worked in AFL circles before which in my mind counts for more anyway.

I agree that this is an over reaction. But if I'm honest, I do feel like the club as a whole is slowly becoming less attractive. I love the Adelaide footy club, it's my club. But I see ports appeal growing rapidly. I think the next generations of fans will slowly even out the numbers. Port seem to be more community based, their merchandise more appealing, marketing more progressive. They get results and are becoming a contemporary and attractive club. I think the crows have become stagnant. Almost gimmicky. Logo is average, merch is unappealing, 19th man is tacky, the club seems less connected to the community. On field success is where we can counter all of that, and I believe we have the better potential. I'm not trying to be negative, I've just been thinking about our appeal as a club. We have great people at our club, but I still have concerns. Any comments?
Do you see Port pushing for 60k members next year? Adelaide still dominates in terms of corporate sponsorship as well.

It was always going to even out to a degree off field, but one decent year after many s**t ones for Port won't affect Adelaide all that much. I think the clubs are as even onfield as they have been since the very early 2000s, and Port are steadily getting much better off field, which is great for SA footy in general.

Let me put it in a language Trigg and Board will understand. Our BRAND is tarnished.

Get rid of Trigg and Chapman and there is hope we will gradually regain some lustre.
Leave them in place and the stench of mistrust and incompetence remains.
If our brand is tarnished, why are we still able to sell out corporate sponsorships and memberships, and push for our largest ever membership base? I'm not saying it hasn't taken a hit, but corporates and the general public move on a lot quicker than people on BF.

Adelaide still dominates in terms of corporate sponsorship as well.

I dont believe that is correct but am happy to be corrected.

If our brand is tarnished, why are we still able to sell out corporate sponsorships and memberships, and push for our largest ever membership base? I'm not saying it hasn't taken a hit, but corporates and the general public move on a lot quicker than people on BF.

Tarnished doesn't mean eradicated from existence.

There is no doubting our brand has been tarnished to some degree. The only real question is whether it's been a significant tarnishing or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure we have well and truly sold all our corporate suits at AO, don't think you guys are close too?

Its not just corporate suits at Adelaide Oval, We dont know the facts on what Toyota give to Adelaide against Renault give to Port. That would indicate corporate $ 's and probs have more impact on their financial position, and any other corporates that donate to the club. Which is why I said it would be interesting to see the facts and proof. . But going on that it would be a fair indication on why the Adelaide Football Club is so much more financially viable than the Power. Which is probs where BACCS was coming from talking about the strenght of the Corporate $.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-10-25/noble-pleased-with-trade-result

“We had a real dip at trying to get Jared Polec. It wasn’t like we sat on our hands. We created a second-round pick to discuss that option with Brisbane but by the time we’d secured that pick Jared had made his decision on where he wanted to go,” Noble said

Does anyone still want to argue that if we had a second round draft pick in the first place, we were a good chance of getting Polec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back