Play Nice Politics #3 - Covideo killed the radio star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't get over how so blinkered you are. Not even for a moment to consider that maybe something you believe in is not all that you think it is. Murdoch is evil. He has turned journalism into a joke. He has destroyed once great newspapers and turned them into nothing better than gossip magazines. I would take anything I read from ALL newspapers with a grain of salt these days, but particularly his. And you know what? I've come to that conclusion all by myself. Not from social media. Not from lefty whatever. That's pretty easy to deduce with your own eyes.
Hahaha right out of the leftist's handbook, you sure you're not Vanessa Van Badham moonlighting on Big Footy?

The big banks collude... which is why is usually pointless to move to another bank. Easier just to buy shares in them which is what I did as can't beat the system.

Proud member of a credit union for 25 years ;)

I wonder how useful this slogan will be when people start defaulting on their home loans.

They had a go, they got a go, now they have to go

So you’ve responded to the first part of the post, are you going to substitute for Carmo?

Kirky it’s absolutely inevitable - NO
Moogle it’s absolutely inevitable - NO
Jenny it’s absolutely inevitable- ?

Carmo to his credit took up the bet.

So far all the other gurus have piked it, how about you?

Whose acting like a 12 year old now?

Thought you would want others to actually have an opposite opinion should it not occur so you can gloat but then again you would probably prefer to have the this political blog all to Bicks and yourself. You would go well in a dictatorship - suits you style.

Economy is growing and fundamentals are strong, that were his words. So are you cherry picking what you believe?

And there have also been criticisms of the RBA for not cutting rates sooner given the inflation rate.
The chairman of the Federal Reserve said similar things a couple of months before the GFC. It's always business as normal until it isn't. Not that I really blame Lowe for that. I wouldn't expect him say to anything publicly that would instill panic.

A low inflation rate is also a sign of a weak economy btw.

Ok I’ll summarise it.

Since the election there have been posters from the left claiming a recession is absolutely inevitable. I’ve called them out on it and suggested a bet where by if there isn’t a recession by the end of 2020 they’d close their account and me likewise if there is one.

Despite all the assurances that one will happen, Kirky and Moogle have piked it. Basically they don’t actually believe what they are posting and are full of s**t.

Carmo has taken up the bet, which I give him credit for.

Last night you said one is absolutely inevitable. So I’ve suggested you to replace Carmo. You can’t lose and you get to see the back of me. So do you really believe and will you take it up?

If we are correct, you don't want to post in this particular blog because you actually lack what the Lion lacked - COURAGE!

We aren't piking it, we are actually going to take our medicene if it doesn't occur as we should but that wouldn't becoming from someone like you because at the end of the day, you are a coward!

Mate , the Chepstowe and Stockyard Hill wind farms are in my "backyard" and the Waubra wind farm is within eye sight to the North of us.....I've seen first hand the amount of bird life that gets slaughtered by these bloody great eyesores. The local brolga and wedge tail eagle population has been decimated by the bloody things.

Just another reason to have a real close look at nuclear. I can't imagine vast arrays of solar panels would be much better for the tiny inhabitants of the ground.

Hahaha right out of the leftist's handbook, you sure you're not Vanessa Van Badham moonlighting on Big Footy?
I am telling you - I don't HAVE any ******* handbook. I didn't vote Labor. I've never voted Labor. I used to be a conservative voter - just like my Dad and my husband. But in the nearly six decades I've been alive, I've seen stuff. I've worked at Parliament House. I've worked for a newspaper and in a press room. And I've developed a social conscience. So for the last two decades, I've been torn. I've seen increasingly callous conservative "nationalist" movements come to the fore all over the world. I see these people trying to rule by fear. Telling us that people legally seeking asylum are "queue jumpers" and must not be let in to this country. I see hundreds of innocents locked up in offshore detention centres for YEARS. I've seen our government even refuse to let them go to Canada or New Zealand - both countries who have offered them asylum. The opposition (Labor) haven't fared much better in this regard. BOTH of them equally abhorrent. As for fiscal responsibility.... I always felt the cycle of Labor spending on infrastructure, and public services, immediately followed by the austerity of the Libs to reign back in debt, was a sensible cycle to follow. But in the last two decades, the debt wasn't being reigned back in. Trickle-down economics wasn't actually trickling down. The haves got to have more. The have nots never got a look in. That doesn't sit comfortably with me - a have. And so I have now developed the opinions I currently have. Not influenced by the media - who I no longer trust. Nor the government/opposition - who I also no longer trust. So don't be shoving me in a box!

I am telling you - I don't HAVE any ******* handbook. I didn't vote Labor. I've never voted Labor. I used to be a conservative voter - just like my Dad and my husband. But in the nearly six decades I've been alive, I've seen stuff. I've worked at Parliament House. I've worked for a newspaper and in a press room. And I've developed a social conscience. So for the last two decades, I've been torn. I've seen an increasingly callous conservative "nationalist" movements come to the fore all over the world. I see these people trying to rule by fear. Telling us that people legally seeking asylum are "queue jumpers" and must not be let in to this country. I see hundreds of innocents locked up in offshore detention centres for YEARS. I've seen our government even refuse to let them go to Canada or New Zealand - both countries who have offered them asylum. The opposition (Labor) haven't fared much better in this regard. BOTH of them equally abhorrent. As for fiscal responsibility.... I always felt the cycle of Labor spending on infrastructure, and public services, immediately followed by the austerity of the Libs to reign back in debt, was a sensible cycle to follow. But in the last two decades, the debt wasn't being reigned back in. Trickle-down economics wasn't actually trickling down. The haves got to have more. The have nots never got a look in. That doesn't sit comfortably with me - a have. And so I have now developed the opinions I currently have. Not influenced by the media - who I no longer trust. Nor the government/opposition - who I also no longer trust. So don't be shoving me in a box!
You seriously believe anyone reading that wouldn't think you're Politically of the left?

You are just ignorant - that is you in a nutshell. Bloody ignorant.

You can still be on the right side of politics and still resonate with some issues on the Left and vice versa.

You need to go have a long hard look in the mirror, you're hardly the one to be judging people's ignorance.

You seriously believe anyone reading that wouldn't think you're Politically of the left?
I voted Green for what it's worth. When I did Vote Compass, it had me aligned closely with Labor. That surprised me because a) I am not a fan of many of their people and b) their policies aren't really things I could get my teeth into. There is no doubt that I now have a very strong social conscience. So if that tells you I'm left leaning, then so be it. That still doesn't give you the right to accuse me of being brainwashed by the leftist communists. I have found myself here thanks to the heartless pricks you seem to look up to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted Green for what it's worth. When I did Vote Compass, it had me aligned closely with Labor. That surprised me because a) I am not a fan of many of their people and b) their policies aren't really things I could get my teeth into. There is no doubt that I now have a very strong social conscience. So if that tells you I'm left leaning, then so be it. That still doesn't give you the right to accuse me of being brainwashed by the leftist communists. I have found myself here thanks to the heartless pricks you seem to look up to.
Thank you for acknowledging you are of the left Politically, I would never have guessed it? The last bits a joke by the way.

No, it was a genuine question. I'd be keen to hear what people think of it and why they think it would be a bad thing.

It's not a 'bad' thing, it's just that large solar arrays have environmental impacts which have bad results for certain populations. I did a quick google and below is an article that identifies a couple of the more obvious types of impacts.

Thank you for acknowledging you are of the left Politically, I would never have guessed it? The last bits a joke by the way.
I don't think I ever said whether I was left or right. Does it really matter? It would have been fairly obvious if you'd read anything that I've written in the past month or so. And Kirky made an excellent point. You can still have a social conscience AND be financial conservative. Though unfortunately not many of those (read: none) seem to make it into the higher ranks of the LIBS.

It's not a 'bad' thing, it's just that large solar arrays have environmental impacts which have bad results for certain populations. I did a quick google and below is an article that identifies a couple of the more obvious types of impacts.

Interesting read, thanks for that. I'll look at some more on that. It's similar along the lines of how many smaller creatures are killed in the planting and maintenance of crops (vs the raising of herds). A balanced approach is very important here. We can go from one knee-jerk reaction to another.

Last edited:
You are just ignorant - that is you in a nutshell. Bloody ignorant.

You can still be on the right side of politics and still resonate with some issues on the Left and vice versa.
Absolutely. I'm pro-nuclear for example. Tell that to a hardcore lefty and they would heckle me out of the room but the way I see it, we have the uranium, we have miles upon miles of unpopulated land to build on and nuclear power is emission free. I just know there are legitimate cost issues with building that kind of infrastructure, so I don't bang on about it that much.

Proud member of a credit union for 25 years ;)

They had a go, they got a go, now they have to go
I have been a credit union member for for 25 years too... but invested in bank shares, but have no account with them. ;)

Absolutely. I'm pro-nuclear for example. Tell that to a hardcore lefty and they would heckle me out of the room but the way I see it, we have the uranium, we have miles upon miles of unpopulated land to build on and nuclear power is emission free. I just know there are legitimate cost issues with building that kind of infrastructure, so I don't bang on about it that much.
My understanding is that it has to be built near water (river, lakes, oceans). That makes it difficult because our water sources are generally surrounded by population. That removes your miles upon miles of unpopulated land. I think Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Fukushima put me off nuclear. HUGE issues if it goes pear shaped.

Nice try.

I’m thinking the bet is not based on a per capita basis so whilst that is a concern and signs the economy isn’t chugging along well, we aren’t in a recession.
The bet is not based on per capita as that doesn't constitute the standard definition of a recession. I'm comfortable with that. My comment wasn't in relation to the bet. Just in relation to the logic of your comment.

Positive growth is nice and all, but if it isn't outstripping the population, then we're kidding ourselves. Most places have population in tune with economic growth somewhat, which means its normal to have a per capita recession when you have a aggregate recession. Its just crazies like us that want to run to an outdated economic dogma that are trying to boost the economy by boosting population, in particular we're trying to save the housing market by it - even though that won't work.

Our per capita recession will have all the effects of a normal recession without being called one.

My understanding is that it has to be built near water (river, lakes, oceans). That makes it difficult because our water sources are generally surrounded by population. That removes your miles upon miles of unpopulated land. I think Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Fukushima put me off nuclear. HUGE issues if it goes pear shaped.
lol I don't blame you for Chernobyl putting you off nuclear but it's not like we would be building a crappy archaic Russian reactor. It's not relevant. Fukushima is a more legit comparison but unlike Japan we have miles upon miles of unpopulated coast line. I think the major road block is simply the cost of building a reactor in the middle of nowhere. Just connecting an isolated plant to the grid would be hugely expensive, not to mention the plant itself. The bean counters would look at our population, look at the cost of building it and determine it's not worth it.

Northern Australia especially north/west WA has no shortage of water, averaging around 50 inches/1,270mm. Would have to cyclone proof the infrastructure but other than that only the tyranny of distance would be against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back