Play Nice Politics #3 - Covideo killed the radio star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely anecdotal but I work at a business in Somerton Park with a really bad NBN connection. I don't think the owner would be very happy if he got slugged a extra tax for that s**tty service. It's even worse now than it was when it was ADSL.

I don't actually have a problem with taxes like these but the NBN as a product reeks so it leaves a pretty sour taste.

Yes, they Coalition should have completed to implement Fibre to the Home and Business premises and not the current crap Fibre to the Node we now have. It will need to be replaced in due course as it won't be able to cope eventually because the copper lines are degrading and won't be able to deal with the speeds once you see more streaming services come on board - Disney are about to release their streaming service in the US later this year. Won't be long before it is here. Optic fibre had much much more bandwith than using the existing copper lines.

Still it isn't like the Coalition to actually invest in the future, for them it is all about now. Strategists - no they ain't, Foresight - no they ain't, Forward thinkers - no they ain't, they want the status quo no matter what field. As I said, neanderthals.

I'm glad our government thinks this is a useful question. I'm vaguely interested to hear the answer to be honest, and maybe an explanation of why this concerns national security.

Do we have a quota for drinkers? or do they fall under the broader umbrella of "guzzlers"?

I would think the reasons behind are pretty obvious. Whether that particular question crosses the line is open for debate.

Yes, they Coalition should have completed to implement Fibre to the Home and Business premises and not the current crap Fibre to the Node we now have. It will need to be replaced in due course as it won't be able to cope eventually because the copper lines are degrading and won't be able to deal with the speeds once you see more streaming services come on board - Disney are about to release their streaming service in the US later this year. Won't be long before it is here. Optic fibre had much much more bandwith than using the existing copper lines.

Still it isn't like the Coalition to actually invest in the future, for them it is all about now. Strategists - no they ain't, Foresight - no they ain't, Forward thinkers - no they ain't, they want the status quo no matter what field. As I said, neanderthals.
As opposed to the party that comes up with policies on the back of a napkin or compares their costings to Big Macs.

Obviously the idea is to make people seeking asylum uncomfortable in order to ensure that they're not fabricating their story. You don't know the background of the people in question. Perhaps there was flawed intelligence that these 2 guys had trained with a terrorist organisation. I would expect these interviews to be confronting to people without credentials seeking asylum. I know that you greenies favour the open borders method, but I'm very comfortable with awkward questions being asked for the purpose of verifying background stories.

Now, here's a lighthearted illustration of the process. And, yes, I would swallow that cum more than once. I love me some Ryan Reynolds.

So the NBN get a free pass because it's Liberal, hmmm okay then.
No it doesn’t, but Labor shouldn’t either and I think people conveniently forget where the NBN roll out was at when the Libs took over. Way over budget and behind schedule, who knows what it would have ended up costing and when it would be finished. But that doesn’t it matter does it? The Libs have tried to clean up the mess but it hasn’t worked out, but remember they wouldn’t have had to clean it up in the first place if Labor launched it properly.

Labor launched this without proper planning and costings, just like they roll out most their stuff. I prefer my government to be conservative than stuff up and blow money.

Also the NBN is in a space where technology is evolving, it will become redundant as technology replaces it. We should have left this to private enterprise to work it out.

The most hilarious thing I ever heard was Tony Abbott once refer to the NBN as a video entertainment system.

Another pearler from everyone's favourite PM

"The NBN is the greatest white elephant this country has ever seen"

Those comments alone suggest that Abbott was possibly the most backward thinking luddite that has ever been PM of this country.

How about you read the article itself....

NBN users are not be expected to pay the tax because it is already built into the wholesale price they pay.
The legislation for the RBS charge was first introduced to parliament in mid-2017 and a senate committee recommended it be passed in mid-September the same year.
But nothing happened until August 2018, when Labor revealed it would conditionally support the legislation as long as the government agreed to several amendments, including capping the tax at $7.10 a month instead of $10.
“Labor will not be opposing these bills which together legislate certainty that premises in Australia can continue to access broadband services beyond the initial rollout,” Tasmanian Labor Senator Catryna Bilyk said last August.
“Given the current state of the economics of the NBN, it’s difficult for Labor to oppose this tax outright but we do consider its imposition to be highly unfortunate.”

In the April federal budget, the government reduced the cap from $10 to $7.10 per month, while introducing a “five-year exemption from the RBS for the first 55,000 greenfield premises activated on certain carriers’ networks”.
That wasn't a labor vs liberal thing, it was a the price is going up and I have no way to opt out kinda thing.

He could have worked any of those six days for the money for his gas bottle, I mean, that was an option. Probably only had to work an hour to swap a 9lt gas bottle.
I mean he could've, provided that there was enough jobs for everyone to have a job. (Checks notes) Ahh, well, there's only 1 job for about every 4 job seekers. Guess you'll have to go back to the drawing board on that theory.

You may want to speak to some community women up here in central Australia. Has saved lives. Your bloke’s issue is lack of planning. What happened to the cash portion of his welfare payment? All other necessities are covered by basics card, so he should have easily been accumulating enough to cover his half yearly gas bottle refill. Even in that singular fortnight he’d probably have enough cash component to refill a 90kg bottle.
Im fairly aware of it, they have it here in South Australia too. All I know is that not every town is on it, so the current strategy by the recipients is to move from town to another town that doesn't have it, then they get normal centerlink, until that town goes on the card, then the recipients move town again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously the idea is to make people seeking asylum uncomfortable in order to ensure that they're not fabricating their story. You don't know the background of the people in question. Perhaps there was flawed intelligence that these 2 guys had trained with a terrorist organisation. I would expect these interviews to be confronting to people without credentials seeking asylum. I know that you greenies favour the open borders method, but I'm very comfortable with awkward questions being asked for the purpose of verifying background stories.

Now, here's a lighthearted illustration of the process. And, yes, I would swallow that cum more than once. I love me some Ryan Reynolds.

I'm all for screening to make sure they're legitimate refugees (which I believe the vast majority are), but I'm also all for doing it in a timely manner. It shouldn't take years to work out if someone is a legitimate refugee or not. Legitimate refugees have gone through enough just to get to Nauru or Manus. No wonder they're self harming while Dutton does nothing (to the approval of the people of Dickson)

As opposed to the party that comes up with policies on the back of a napkin or compares their costings to Big Macs.

As they say in Frozen - Let it Go.

You do saying the same thing over and over again. Very repetitious but what would one expect from someone who doesn’t have any strategy for the future and is scared of change.

Again, I will reiterate it is the ALP that has instigated most of the financial and social reforms for the last 50 years.

No it doesn’t, but Labor shouldn’t either and I think people conveniently forget where the NBN roll out was at when the Libs took over. Way over budget and behind schedule, who knows what it would have ended up costing and when it would be finished. But that doesn’t it matter does it? The Libs have tried to clean up the mess but it hasn’t worked out, but remember they wouldn’t have had to clean it up in the first place if Labor launched it properly.

Labor launched this without proper planning and costings, just like they roll out most their stuff. I prefer my government to be conservative than stuff up and blow money.

Also the NBN is in a space where technology is evolving, it will become redundant as technology replaces it. We should have left this to private enterprise to work it out.

Let private enterprise work it out? FMD.

Sometimes nation building projects are the responsibility of the national government.

You do realise that once it was built it could have then been eventually privatised. Surely you as a free marketer would agree that could have been an option?

There is no chance of the current *up being privatised when it is likely to be rebuilt in the next 10 years or sooner from scratch.

PS : you do know where we rank worldwide on internet speeds don’t you? You do realise that this is making our business competitiveness weaker don’t you?

Last edited:

Fibre to the home and business in a country of Australia's size would have cost squillions and we all know Stephen Conroy and Kruddy drew up the plan in flight on the back of a beer coaster and just like their climate change policy they had * all idea what the final cost was going to run in to then and Conroy has admitted he still doesn't know. Not too mention just how long the roll out was going to take, and going by the first 12 months of the roll out where they were running horrendously behind schedule a lot of us would have been pushing up daisies before it was fully implemented.

Sorry, but I don't buy into "they're cleaning up the mess", not even for a second. The current mess is the work of Liberal's as they came in and essentially restarted the project from scratch.

Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered whether it was on time or what the budget was, the Liberals proposed to scrap the Labor's plans and use their own supposedly "cheaper" MMT iteration because $40 billion (Labor had their plan costed at $43 billion) was apparently too much money to spend on a "video entertainment system". Tony and Malcolm (the man who invented the internet) promised that they could apparently do it cheaper and faster ($29.5 billion and finished at the end of 2016)

Once the Liberals won the election they fired the NBN board and put in their own people and relaunched their own roll out. The cost, slow progress and issues with the project since the election have been the result of the management of the LNP.

Here we are mid 2019 and $50 billion later and it's still not finished, even if Labor's dark fibre NBN plan blew out to $60 billion it would have been worth it compared to the $50+ billion mess that we're going to be left with.

Aside from Labor coming up with the idea and launching it, I think it's hard to try and pin the blame for the LNP failings on them. The reason that the end product is a joke is a result of a poor choice of technology and that's completely the fault of LNP for not going with Labor's original plans.

Last edited:
Im fairly aware of it, they have it here in South Australia too. All I know is that not every town is on it, so the current strategy by the recipients is to move from town to another town that doesn't have it, then they get normal centerlink, until that town goes on the card, then the recipients move town again.

And imagine how happy the remaining inhabitants in the town are when the problem is moved on. Eventually they won't have the opportunity to move on and perhaps multi-generational problems can begin to be addressed.

Yes, let us dare not question their incompetence and willingness to do nothing that will stand the test of time.

It's always ironic when those who are so quick to jump on Labor and call them incompetent seem to be incapable of the same type of reflection when it comes to the Liberals.

The post 2013 NBN is a turd that is impossible to defend.

Let private enterprise work it out? FMD.

Sometimes nation building projects are the responsibility of the national government.

You do realise that once it was built it could have then been eventually privatised. Surely you as a free marketer would agree that could have been an option?

There is no chance of the current fu**up being privatised when it is likely to be rebuilt in the next 10 years or sooner from scratch.

PS : you do know where we rank worldwide on internet speeds don’t you? You do realise that this is making our business competitiveness weaker don’t you?
I get 50mps thanks to private enterprise and wireless satellite so yes I understand how private enterprise works and it didn’t cost taxpayers anything

It's always ironic when those who are so quick to jump on Labor and call them incompetent seem to be incapable of the same type of reflection when it comes to the Liberals.

The post 2013 NBN is a turd that is impossible to defend.
It is if you understand they were trying to reign in Labor’s mess.

Sorry, but I don't buy into "they're cleaning up the mess", not even for a second. The current mess is the work of Liberal's as they came in and essentially restarted the project from scratch.

Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered whether it was on time or what the budget was, the Liberals proposed to scrap the Labor's plans and use their own supposedly "cheaper" MMT iteration because $40 billion (Labor had their plan costed at $43 billion) was apparently too much money to spend on a "video entertainment system". Tony and Malcolm (the man who invented the internet) promised that they could apparently do it cheaper and faster ($29.5 billion and finished at the end of 2016)

Once the Liberals won the election they fired the NBN board and put in their own people and relaunched their own roll out. The cost, slow progress and issues with the project since the election have been the result of the management of the LNP.

Here we are mid 2019 and $50 billion later and it's still not finished, even if Labor's dark fibre NBN plan blew out to $60 billion it would have been worth it compared to the $50+ billion mess that we're going to be left with.

Aside from Labor coming up with the idea and launching it, I think it's hard to try and pin the blame for the LNP failings on them. The reason that the end product is a joke is a result of a poor choice of technology and that's completely the fault of LNP for not going with Labor's original plans.
How do you know it would have only blown out to $60B and when would it have been finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back