Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you post a couple of days ago that everyone should pay their own way and government money is only to keep the poor housed and fed.

Yes I did and if you afford it absolutely and I generally still stick to that view however the future of the nation’s children is of greater importance. What is wrong with 100% funding of those families on low incomes? So childcare should only be for the wealthier in our society?

Bicks is a bitter person, not sure why but then again don’t really care. Happy that any tax I pay goes to childcare, education, health etc. Not handouts or tax cuts to the wealthier in our society.

Looking through the Senate nominees working out who to put last is actually rather hard.

The Great Australian Party, Fraser Anning, Citizens Electoral Council and Pauline Hanson's One Nation all running on overt racism.

And that's before you even get to the Clive Palmer, Australian Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and Shooters, Fishers and Farmers end of the spectrum.

Honestly, of the nominees there's only a handful of parties you'd feel comfortable with anywhere near the senate on the basis of sheer competence/not nazis before you get to ideological issues.

For what it's worth Libs in SA are running:

1. Libs
2. UAP
3. Conservatives
4. Liberal Democrats
5. Centre Alliance
6. Democrats

Likely means that those votes will likely be exhausted before they count for someone.

Interesting to see who gets the sixth seat given Libs 2, ALP 2 and GRN 1 almost certain.
You guys have it easy. You have to number a minimum of 6 boxes above the line, or 12 below the line.

In the ACT, we only have 17 candidates for the 2 Senate seats available. With Palmer, the Libs and the Nazi party all having 2 candidates, that means there are only 11 sane options. I have no choice (for a valid vote) but to give 1 vote to a Liberal candidate - though it sure as hell won't be going to Zed Seselja.

What did Labor award Rudd recently? The guy they said was a psycho, who they then voted back in for another shot at PM?

The posting in this thread is similar to the election advertising I have got back to from holidays... focusing on the negatives of the other, including stretching the truth!

Once again, there appears to be little debate over actual policy differences between the sides.

Negativity/scaring voters is seen as more effective that positivity... which is a sad reflection on society. Easier to be sucked into irrelevant BS.

So do we all think of Bills Big Mac analogy?

First of all, if you don’t buy Big Macs, you save money, it’s not a cost.

Secondly, does he think this is one big joke?

To my left leaning friends, are you not concerned what the cost of Labor’s climate policy will be or is the cost and the potential damage to our economy and cost of living irrelevant? Because without the costings, you have no idea what the impact will be.

Surely a party going to the election has to come clean with costings in such a major policy that’s implications will reverberate throughout the country?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my left leaning friends, are you not concerned what the cost of Labor’s policy will be or is the cost and the potential damage to our economy and cost of living irrelevant? Because without the costings, you have no idea what the impact will be.

Surely a party going to the election has to come clean with costings in such a major policy that’s implications will reverberate throughout the country?

Any particular policy in particular, or just the vibe?

The climate policy

If we cook the planet, then that makes the cost of living somewhat moot right?

Also, considering the economic vandalism the current government has done over the past 6 years (doubling of debt etc - I note the 'budget emergency' cries have gone awkwardly silent), then any cost for renewable energy will probably have less impact to the cost of living than economic blunders the current government has done such as the marriage equality survey, or the economic cost of coal power stations failing due to old age.

Door knocking and phone calls? Seriously.

The problem the right as a general rule have and historically has shown is their supporters don't march in the streets, it basically is not part of their DNA.

The right want the status quo whilst the left are the change makers of society. Most of the changes in social policy have been implemented by the ALP.

The climate policy

And if we do nothing the cost is over $130b by 2030.

The cost of doing something is about 0.6% of GDP. Not much in the scheme of things.

You can bleat and carry on but the majority of Australians want action on climate change. The only way their wishes will be met is to get rid of Scott and his mob of corrupt politicians. They will spend $3.5b over 10 years - $350m per year. Seriously? That amount of $3.5b is half the franking credits cost for one year. FMD.

So if we had a 'budget emergency' in 2013, and debt has doubled in the 6 years of this government, then we must truly be in a budget emergency now right?

They replied on the economy recovering and that is it. Tax collections as a % of GDP are higher than ever and where has it gone?

They have done basically nothing for the past 6 years.

By a practicing economist
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/co...g/news-story/ddcaf82c6a10b1bfff35be5c8e97f962
You can count the cost and it is terrifying
Judith Sloan is an economist and company director. She holds degrees from the University of Melbourne and the London School of Economics. She has held a number of government appointments, including Commissioner of the Productivity Commission; Commissioner of the Australian Fair Pay Commission; and Deputy Chairman of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

No more The Australian articles - we know they are that far right it is not funny.

She gets paid $357k per annum for her articles in The Australian. An overpaid economist.

The thing is you have to subscribe to read those articles, fortunately I prefer to spend my money on things worthwhile.

It is a paper that only old codgers like you read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back