Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Particularly any change we make does jack s**t given the big polluters keep polluting
Travelling the world you appreciate that Australia has relatively pristine environment... but that has been changing. How about we do our best to look after it for future generations & then we can also put pressure on others to do the same.

Eg. I'm pleased to hear our government is looking to ban plastic straws & other plastics that cause so much damage to our water ways.

Travelling the world you appreciate that Australia has relatively pristine environment... but that has been changing. How about we do our best to look after it for future generations & then we can also put pressure on others to do the same.

Eg. I'm pleased to hear our government is looking to ban plastic straws & other plastics that cause so much damage to our water ways.
I’m happy to change in a methodical manner but not by trying to lead the pack to the detriment of our economy and making stupid expensive decisions along the way.

Jay was so eager to be a leader he rushed then he needed bailing out with expensive dirty diesel generators, what the *? All the while hiding their true cost.

The whole rush to green energy has been rushed and ill thought out, just so the lefty politicians can grandstand.

I’m happy to change in a methodical manner but not by trying to lead the pack to the detriment of our economy and making stupid expensive decisions along the way.

Jay was so eager to be a leader he rushed then he needed bailing out with expensive dirty diesel generators, what the ****? All the while hiding their true cost.

The whole rush to green energy has been rushed and ill thought out, just so the lefty politicians can grandstand.
I agree change needs to be in a planned manner... which it hasn't been. Both State & Federal Governments failing to have a coordinated energy policy has been pathetic from all sides... & we still don't have one!

Particularly any change we make does jack s**t given the big polluters keep polluting

Sometimes you just have to do things that are right. An that’s what leadership is all about. And that is what is lacking on the right side of politics, it is always about money. There are not the proponents of social or environmental issues or an equitable society, it always about money. For the love of money is the root of all evil.

We should be making every attempt to leave this world in as good a shape as possible.

Do we want a world that our children and grandchildren can live in?

Sometimes you just have to do things that are right. An that’s what leadership is all about. And that is what is lacking on the right side of politics, it is always about money. There are not the proponents of social or environmental issues or an equitable society, it always about money. For the love of money is the root of all evil.

We should be making every attempt to leave this world in as good a shape as possible.

Do we want a world that our children and grandchildren can live in?
If I thought what happened here made more than 0.00001% difference than yes, spend the money recklessly.

Perhaps you should ask the families now who are doing it tough what they think.

Also how are diesel generators doing the right thing?

Last edited:
Statistically defined by the looks of things, seeing this paper reads like it is acting to justify mechanistic work by sowing a seed.
Yer, it is purely statistically derived, I already knew it before I asked, I just wanted to see if Bicks knew what he was posting to any degree or not. They've basically done the more technical version of coming up with as many functions they can as will go thru two points on a coordinate plane. If the authors actually had any conviction in their method, why didn't they do some hindcasting to check it? After all it was calibrated on data from 1850 to 1980, or something like that, surely it should provide some accuracy going backwards, if it had any validity. It seems impossible to me that it could have any validity, as if there were cycle factors longer than the observed data (which there is milankovich cycles for instance) how could a statistical derivation within a short time frame capture this? In short, it cant. Its theoretically correct and practically useless. It's theoretical correctness allowed it to get published. Its practical uselessness will lead to it being rarely cited, except perhaps by some climate deniers.

Jay was so eager to be a leader he rushed then he needed bailing out with expensive dirty diesel generators, what the ****? All the while hiding their true cost.

If it doesn't get rammed through, it doesn't get through. Don't hate the players, hate the game.

If I thought what happened here made more than 0.00001% difference than yes, spend the money recklessly.

Perhaps you should ask the families now who are doing it tough what they think.

Also how are diesel generators doing the right thing?

Diesel generators are not the right thing.

Look I hated Jay and Tom as much as yourself however their is a distinct lack of leadership on the Coalition side who are captive to the Coal industry and are resisting at all costs.

This needs to be done jointly however if one party isn’t prepared to entertain (Coalition) then sometimes you have to push the agenda thru more aggressively.

Diesel generators are not the right thing.

Look I hated Jay and Tom as much as yourself however their is a distinct lack of leadership on the Coalition side who are captive to the Coal industry and are resisting at all costs.

This needs to be done jointly however if one party isn’t prepared to entertain (Coalition) then sometimes you have to push the agenda thru more aggressively.
Actually no, we don’t. Given the costly consequences of bad policy and the impact that has on those who can’t afford it and given the minute impact on the climate that Jay and Tom’s policies made, them they should have waited. South Australia isn’t going to save the world, the only thing they did is make people feel warm and fuzzy that we were doing something, no matter how dumb or costly.

Actually no, we don’t. Given the costly consequences of bad policy and the impact that has on those who can’t afford it and given the minute impact on the climate that Jay and Tom’s policies made, them they should have waited. South Australia isn’t going to save the world, the only thing they did is make people feel warm and fuzzy that we were doing something, no matter how dumb or costly.

Well it would help if we had a national coherent energy policy but the Coalition seems to be severely lacking in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gas policies have made power rise as much if not more than any renewables, also poles and wires are still the most expensive item in the bundle. What policies were done wrong there? What, from your point of view, should have been done to correct those issues?

Dunno if you know but that's due to two coal units being out of action atm. One broken down. The other for SCHEDULED maint, wtf?
AEMO regards coal as being less reliable than wind & solar. Wind & solar can be predicted. Coal fired units break down at unpredictable intervals, and the aging units we have in this country are breaking down more & more frequently.

Wouldn't have been a problem if Hazelwood and to a lesser degree Port Augusta Power Station hadn't been decommissioned before all the checks and balances had been put in place with renawables/battery. No coincidence it's the 2 ALP states that rushed headlong into renewables with nary a thought to the consequences that are set to struggle over the next couple of days.

They are actually having to use the emergency diesel generators at the moment. Live statistics on the link below:

https://www.energymatters.com.au/energy-efficiency/australian-electricity-statistics/

If they load shed while I'm at work tomorrow I'll have to follow suit and load shed my clothes :D

Reckon they should just give everyone the option of taking tomorrow off instead of Monday.

Yep, well it’s not every day we get 45C. And look for more of those days going forward over the years.

Called weather mate. I presume you believe the record was set last year and the year before that. I’m starting to think that you really don’t know the difference. Still, you’re the most common type of ‘expert’.

Called weather mate. I presume you believe the record was set last year and the year before that. I’m starting to think that you really don’t know the difference. Still, you’re the most common type of ‘expert’.

I understand the difference between weather and climate but the more we have extreme weather indicates the effects on the climate. So if we start having more 45C+ days per summer season going forward, what does indicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back