Play Nice Politics # 4 - The madness continues here.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

Abusing and/or trolling other posters in this thread will not be tolerated from this point on.

Debate away and continue to have strong opinions, but abusing posters ie calling them idiots/stupid etc or trolling posters by laugh liking their posts will not be tolerated going forward.

Last edited:
Thats why I wanted to ask
kirky

if he has cash reserves and if so, what’s he doing with them*

*Serious question, not a political question
When you print more money it has to go somewhere. Sure give it to pensioners and unemployed so they can buy cat food and McDonald’s. It doesn’t disappear after that, the cat food seller and the McDonald’s franchise owner make out like bandits and buy another rental property.
but wait I though it was to support the poor people. 🤔 What just happened, some kind of magic trick? How did the Rich 🤑 end up with all the stimulus money. 😳

When you print more money it has to go somewhere. Sure give it to pensioners and unemployed so they can buy cat food and McDonald’s. It doesn’t disappear after that, the cat food seller and the McDonald’s franchise owner make out like bandits and buy another rental property.
but wait I though it was to support the poor people. 🤔 What just happened, some kind of magic trick? How did the Rich 🤑 end up with all the stimulus money. 😳

Exactly.

The way I see it, is the places this new money is likely to go are:

-Shares/stocks
-Property
-Crypto/precious metals

It is basically an exercise in transferring massive amounts of wealth from the working class/lower middle class.

kirky pls confirm

you'll ban me if i laugh emoji that

The irony of you bringing that up is that you're actually a large part of the reason why the Mods had to crack down on it on the first place.

Rather than just using it occasionally and sensibly like most other posters were, you were one of the main serial offenders (arguably the worst) of just spamming it and using it to troll constantly on every single post.

It's ridiculous that it even reached a point where we had to even police it in the first place 😡

The irony of you bringing that up is that you're actually a large part of the reason why the Mods had to crack down on it on the first place.

Rather than just using it occasionally and sensibly like most other posters were, you were one of the main serial offenders (arguably the worst) of just spamming it and using it to troll constantly on every single post.

It's ridiculous that it even reached a point where we had to even police it in the first place 😡
how can you seriously say that with a straight face..you see what the others on here do and you single me out

Thats why I wanted to ask
kirky

if he has cash reserves and if so, what’s he doing with them*

*Serious question, not a political question

Do you want to know how I’ve invested my retirement? And I’m being serious here as I’m open about this stuff with those close to me because I realise the importance to plan. And I’m not big noting either just informing people. The more knowledge one has the better the judgements one makes. And I won’t get political either.

Oh and this is not investment advice.

Last edited:
You are talking about two different things, recovery versus the size of the downturn.

The US economy and employment rates were in great shape just prior to the pandemic (thanks to orange man bad). Unlike the GFC, the downturn was owing to the economy simply shutting down. It was not for economic reasons but artificial reasons (economically speaking) - so the scope for recovery is massive the minute you go back to the circumstances of Jan 2020 - ie - the Trump economy.

The issue now is obviously the printing of trillions out of thin air.
To me the area under the curve indicates the size of the problem. GFC's was bigger.

Orange bad man had a penchant for racking up deficits too. That's either done by borrowing or printing, which you've also said is a problem. He only increased the US's debt in his time in office.

It’s what was stated. And it is worldwide I’m assuming. Apparently unemployment in Australia is lower now than before Covid.
Does enyone believe we’re actually comparing apples with apples though. I highly doubt it.
Tourism is way way down in the gutter currently especially in places like Cairns where I live. I’m busy here though so kind of depends what we’re looking at.
The GLOBAL financial crisis was also worldwide. The clue's in the name.

So is debt good or bad, i'm kind of losing track here, it feels like some are saying labor's GFC debt was bad, but LNP's covid debt is good??

To me the area under the curve indicates the size of the problem. GFC's was bigger.

Orange bad man had a penchant for racking up deficits too. That's either done by borrowing or printing, which you've also said is a problem. He only increased the US's debt in his time in office.
I think you are looking at it too narrowly in that the GCF was a financial problem only. The pandemic is a financial one, a health one and a lifestyle one and we are coming up on a year and a half since international borders with other countries have been closed - utterly unprecedented almost ever. This thing is also not done yet as we are told it will likely be 2022 before international borders open up but really who knows. It is the multifaceted impact this pandemic has and the length of time it is hanging around that puts it all in a league of its own when compared to a financial crisis only

Edit: currently the world has lost 3 331 970 people officially to the virus with over 160 million contracting it. Numbers are likely to be higher in countries that can't report accurately due to a variety of factors. I highly doubt the world will return to the old normal either after the worst of the virus is behind us in terms of what is expected of people / governments etc

Do I really have to go back and point out the litany of posts that you've laugh reacted to?
or i have now checked do you want me to go back and point out all the post of mine you lolled at? Point is that if you want to make out like I am the only one that lol's posts, you would want to be sure that no one else was guilty of that high crime on anything like a regular basis either

Last edited:

Surely no one gives a s**t about an emoji.
Oh that’s right, we’re living in offended times. 🤣

Last edited:
Do you want to know how I’ve invested my retirement? And I’m being serious here as I’m open about this stuff with those close to me because I realise the importance to plan. And I’m not big noting either just informing people. The more knowledge one has the better the judgements one makes. And I won’t get political either.

Liked for the disclaimer 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GLOBAL financial crisis was also worldwide. The clue's in the name.

So is debt good or bad, i'm kind of losing track here, it feels like some are saying labor's GFC debt was bad, but LNP's covid debt is good??
My rule of thumb is if it is used for an appreciating asset 👍.
if used on a depreciating asset like a car, even for work uses 👎.

or i have now checked do you want me to go back and point out all the post of mine you lolled at? Point is that if you want to make out like I am the only one that lol's posts, you would want to be sure that no one else was guilty of that high crime on anything like a regular basis either

I thought you were anti whataboutism?

Also the issue was never about people using it, but more about people using it to troll other posters by constantly laugh reacting to every post they were making.

It wasn't just you, but you were one of the biggest offenders for doing it.

Surely no one gives a sh*t about an emoji.
Oh that’s right, we’re living in offended times. 🤣

It's not so much of being offended, but more trying to stop the thread turning into more of a dumpster fire than it already is.

At the end of the day if one of the Supers or Chief came across a thread full of garbage posting where people were just trolling/insulting each other they would ask us why we haven't put a stop to it.

People can debate and discuss what they like in here, the mods have just cracked down on the sophomoric garbage that was going on

Last edited:
Can you clarify one thing? If someone LOLs at one of my jokes, then that's a good thing, n'est-ce-pas? Surely you're not going to ban them. ;)

No, of course not

It's more about the small minority of posters who were blatantly abusing it by reacting to every post certain posters were making it to the point of where we made the decision to crack down on it.

Definitely. It was a serious question, as every credible source I’ve heard is talking about inflation like it’s going to be devastating for anyone with cash savings

It's not so much of being offended, but more trying to stop the thread turning into more of a dumpster fire than it already is.

At the end of the day if one of the Supers or Chief came across a thread full of garbage posting where people were just trolling/insulting each other they would ask us why we haven't put a stop to it.

People can debate and discuss what they like in here, the mods have just cracked down on the sophomoric garbage that was going on

This thread a dumpster fire - never.

We all pay each other out but at the end of the day, we are all very fortunate to live in this country. We can bitch and moan (and I’m just as guilty but moreso it is an unbelievable hatred for our PM, the Coalition not so much) but we are very lucky to live in a society where we are genuinely conform and get about our business.

Slippery Pete I’ll get back to you on investments.

Definitely. It was a serious question, as every credible source I’ve heard is talking about inflation like it’s going to be devastating for anyone with cash savings
I would generally have as small an amount in cash as possible. Unless it’s offsetting interest on primarily your own home. It’s good to have some cash to react to opportunities and in case of urgent needs. It’s a horrible store of wealth though.

I think you are looking at it too narrowly in that the GCF was a financial problem only. The pandemic is a financial one, a health one and a lifestyle one and we are coming up on a year and a half since international borders with other countries have been closed - utterly unprecedented almost ever. This thing is also not done yet as we are told it will likely be 2022 before international borders open up but really who knows. It is the multifaceted impact this pandemic has and the length of time it is hanging around that puts it all in a league of its own when compared to a financial crisis only

Edit: currently the world has lost 3 331 970 people officially to the virus with over 160 million contracting it. Numbers are likely to be higher in countries that can't report accurately due to a variety of factors. I highly doubt the world will return to the old normal either after the worst of the virus is behind us in terms of what is expected of people / governments etc
In some ways I agree with this, in some ways I don't. No financial blip the size of the GFC is ever just a financial blip, it makes real differences in people's lives, unemployment increases, govts cut spending, some medical improvement that might have been slated to come in, gets put on hold, people live on less, some die, etc etc. However, I get that the pandemic was a disruption of the like we haven't seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back