VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a kid that can kick the ball they are gold in the modern game you can’t teach that you have it or you don’t.
The crap kicks turned to elite don’t happen Binns won’t improve his kicking much maybe when he’s 27 like carrazo.
Fitness can be improved dramatically over a three year period.
I didn’t watch his game but I’ve seen him kick he’s a natural .
Sos isn’t fast and can’t kick so I wouldn’t be too negative on a guy who at the moment has one elite trait with couple of years to work on his deficiencies
Kids that don't have the "eye of the tiger" will not make it. Austin is betting Lemmey and Moir will find it. Attitude is even harder to teach than kicking skills

Arr0w Jovan Petric, if it's the same bloke I'm thinking off. I liked him in his draft year, not last year but the year before. I think he might be worth a look at a rookie spot.

Arr0w Jovan Petric, if it's the same bloke I'm thinking off. I liked him in his draft year, not last year but the year before. I think he might be worth a look at a rookie spot.

Same AP, liked him enough where you could consider him as a late pick in his draft year or after, might be one of those kids that is a slow burn

Just some thoughts.
I watch our VFL side every week, and for me, I think Mirkov is improving. He took a couple of good overhead marks last week (none this week, though). His mobility is improving and he's not bad below his knees for such a tall guy and his taps are now starting to go to his team mates instead of the opposition, and his handballs seem to be pretty good. If he keeps improving at the rate he has since his return (which is a big 'if'), he may not be delisting material at year's end.

As for Lemmey and O'keefe, though, I know they are young and all that, and you need to give tall guys more time to develop, but for me, I just can't see either of them making it. Just my opinion, and I could very well be completely wrong. And, Akuei (unlike Lemmey and O'keefe) has a great leap and is fast and athletic, but, to me, his skills just haven't improved and there's nothing to indicate they ever will, so this year may very well be his last unless he turns it around very soon.
I agree with this .

I would also maybe move monohan and moir to the backline, push Wilson and cowan to the midfield.

I agree with this .

I would also maybe move monohan and moir to the backline, push Wilson and cowan to the midfield.
Hadn't thought of moving monahan and moir to the backline ... nothing to lose by that, and I think it would mean they would be made to be more accountable and be lead to the ball more often. So sounds good to me as it may fast track their development. Definitely have Wilson and Cowan play in the midfield now, and keep Bins playing on ball (as he did yesterday).

Hadn't thought of moving monahan and moir to the backline ... nothing to lose by that, and I think it would mean they would be made to be more accountable and be lead to the ball more often. So sounds good to me as it may fast track their development. Definitely have Wilson and Cowan play in the midfield now, and keep Bins playing on ball (as he did yesterday).
Monahan has played 5 games of footy in his life. How about letting him get settled in a position before throwing him around?

Monahan has played 5 games of footy in his life. How about letting him get settled in a position before throwing him around?
Hey, I'm not throwing him anywhere! ... just expressing a few thoughts on this thread as a non-expert, or aren't I allowed to do that! As far as I know, this thread is not only for the club's selectors to use.

Of course, you are free to disagree with anything I say, but couldn't you try a more respectful, less confrontational way? E.g, "For me, I would prefer him to get settled in one position before he is tried somewhere else."
Now I'm reminded why I don't here much anymore.

There's actually a Saad clone playing for the Bullants who's available in this year's MSD believe it or not named Saad El-Hawli.

My eyes were bugging out of my head when I checked out some of his highlights on the AFL website. Absolute mirror image of our man Saady the way he moves, runs, kicks...the lot!!! Except he's a right footer. They even look the same at a similar age!!

View attachment 1993476View attachment 1993478
Link?

Not video but quote from Code sports article posted last week
Welsh is also promoting his wingman Saad El-Hawli. The former Western Region league Rising Star winner is averaging 24.8 disposals from his six matches and seizing the eye with his speed. Welsh likens him to Carlton dasher Adam Saad.

“When I pick players who I think are draftable, I pick AFL players who I think they play like, and to me he’s like Adam Saad,’’ he said. "He plays exactly the same way. Speed, good overhead, tough and a good ball-user. Good footy brain too. I think he’s got all the attributes to play in the AFL, absolutely.’’
Edit there's this of one goal

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not video but quote from Code sports article posted last week

Edit there's this of one goal

Looks like he’s had a big leap in performance this year, averaging 25 disposals a game this year. If he’s lightning quick and can find the footy, I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He'd be an improvement on our current small forwards. What a player.
We got his nephew Zak Saad at Heathcote, 1st game played midfield then switched him to half forward in the second half where he kicked 6 goals. He has already won a B&F in the EDFL. Done a knee ligament in the second game, a real talent.

The 2's play on Saturday at 10:25 at Carlton.
As usual, the team sheet is unavailable.

We can't be favourites, even though we went up one spot last week, even though we lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back