Review R8 Pups defeat Brions - 107-93.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did not get to go to the game.

How did Webb go? Judging by the stats he had minimal impact.

Also I thought in the highlights that the commentator said Lippy had kicked 8 straight this year.??? If so what gun!

Finally, what happens to our backline v Adelaide? We're playing the side with the biggest set of kpfs in the game. Does Roughy come in as a defender? Most seem to think Young should be dropped, is that a given?
Yes Lippy is going at 100% over the season:thumbsu: He has very nice hands too, good awareness in traffic, quite creative. Nice touch generally. The day we get him and Dicko in the same side will be the day we kick a score.
Young has young player lapses but he'll be good in the long term. A nice raking kick too. I'd like not to omit him but wonder whether the Crows might be a bit too much physically for him at the moment. The MC will put a bit of thought into the physical and environmental factors of Adelaide. Older and harder heads will prevail at a guess.

Losing Naughton impacted on both Cordy and Young in particular and the backline generally to a degree. He was a pretty significant loss that we were able to cover adequately enough in the end. Young is possibly touch and go for Adelaide. Perhaps Trengove displaces him. Either way we need Wood back.
Alla-*ing-lieua, couldn't agree more NW.... Losing Naughty was a massive loss and effected both Cordy/Young against a team known for getting out the back... Sure Young wasn't great but it wasn't always his man that got out the back...

Did not get to go to the game.

How did Webb go? Judging by the stats he had minimal impact.

Also I thought in the highlights that the commentator said Lippy had kicked 8 straight this year.??? If so what gun!

Finally, what happens to our backline v Adelaide? We're playing the side with the biggest set of kpfs in the game. Does Roughy come in as a defender? Most seem to think Young should be dropped, is that a given?
Struggled to find the ball again but kept trying, got some nice touches in the third when playing further up the ground and on the ball but truly gets lost as a forward... Lack of midsize depth in the twos may save him for another week.

also missed the game... how was Williams and Crozier?

Williams fantastic again.

Crozier doesn’t look quite at his explosive best yet off the back of the knee injury. And he’s still finding his feet at half back. But I’m happy enough with him.

I really enjoyed watching Ed Richards tonight. No doubt his best game for the club even though his stats were not much different to previous weeks. Not quite a "breakout game" but you could see the player he's going to become. Murphyesque.

Love the way he takes calculated risks in traffic and has the agility to pull it off. Clean ball handling, quick footy brain and pretty good disposal. I'm pleased he's been willing to kick longer in recent matches. Earlier in the year it was all short-passing, probably under team instructions.

I've often said that I felt relaxed and confident when Picken has the ball. I'm starting to get that feeling with Richards. Doesn't even need a lot of space. So much composure for an 18yo.

What a great draft pick at #16!

Look forward to seeing your average age and games played comparison dogwatch.

This observation from the lions board was interesting. Not sure how accurate...

"Well, our "young and promising team" just got proven to be out of date by a younger and more promising team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Macrae and Bont I thought Suckling was among our best. His kicking was exceptional last night. That goal was insane.

There’s being overly negative and then there’s blind optimism Honeychurch plays as a tagger and his opponent kicks 4 and has 24 and he hasn’t been poor? Jong has been constantly defended even though he was horrible for a month. Not everyone’s good enough for the level, that’s just the way it is.

The backline looked suspect all night but when you lose Naughton early and are already without Wood, Morris and Adams it explains a lot. Young’s lacking the confidence he had in his first few games last year he had a number of chances to come in third man and spoil or mark it but just didn’t, he has talent but playing him in the Afl right now isn’t the best option.

Macrae’s the best player in the comp right now, yes he’s winning a lot of the ball but his one on one work has been amazing this year and he’s really starting to hurt teams by foot, there hasn’t been a lot of those little sideways kicks from a couple of years ago.

Maclean is now bordering on elite I’m sure it will take the media a while to catch on but he’s becoming a complete midfielder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Except he almost blew the game by not playing a ruckman.

He almost admitted that in his presser- said that Martin got in top at the start of the last quarter and that he was very nervous. Said that we would not get away with one ruck against Adelaide. That's what I love about Bevo...admits his mistakes and never rabbits on about absolutes.

My take was that he is not convinced about Roughead or Trengoves fitness (or does he think they aren't good enough???), said Campbell was playing well and that English needs to work on a few things. No doubt Boyd is our best ruck- problem is he is also our best tall forward- not sure what is going to happen until English puts on some size.

Look forward to seeing your average age and games played comparison dogwatch.

This observation from the lions board was interesting. Not sure how accurate...

"Well, our "young and promising team" just got proven to be out of date by a younger and more promising team.
Will be away for a few days mate but I'll try to do it midweek.

Webb looks so good when he gets and uses it but nine touches is hideous. Maybe tagging is the go?
I like this idea. A tagging role to help save his career, cause at the moment his career is at the cross roads. Plenty of players made names for themselves as taggers, and otherwise probably wouldn't have been in their team's best 22. Steve Baker and Brent Macaffer are two that instantly spring to mind. Macaffer ultimately wasn't good enough, but he had some very good games as a tagger and only got games due to his shut down ability, IMO. Webb has more traits than Macaffer to afford Webb the luxury of having a solid career as a tagger.

Good

Started with a manic game causing lots of turnovers and repeat entries.

Macrae - 150+ campion data points again is crazy. But it was in the later part of the game when Brisbane was coming back that he showed the leadership and elite status - he willed himself to contest outnumbered and yet won and was steady. Reminds me of Richie McCaw in the rugby - not the flashiest and you can’t see how good he is unless you watch him in replay and see how much of the game he impacts and when.

Bont - last year so many games he exploded but deflated us with missed kicks. Nailed them today.

Suckling - he has managed a purple patch - taking the game on by foot but being more controlled with his kicks. Really proving a lot of people (including myself) wrong.

Hunter - was in the best again. His two way running in Defence and across the ground is unbelievable- actually think he could be leading our B&F at the moment. He completely burns his opponent and so often appears to be on his own.

McClean - is arguably the player on the fastest rise. Is getting better and better and still appears to have tremendous upside.

Ed Richards like Caleb seems to shine when the heat is on and players are tired. Weaves through congestion brilliantly and both he and Caleb add incredibly to our kicking efficiency.

Boyd - how many of us thought Martin would smash us. He only did when Boyd wasn’t there. And Boyd got his frame to a lot around the ground. Think it is a mistake to turn him into a tractor - play Roughy, Campbell and English will we eventually own this. Boyd needs to work on his Power not learn to play 65 mins in the Ruck. Will hurt him and us long term. He should be a 25 min max Ruck where he smashes it. But he was asked to be the traditional Ruck and he his own against one of the best in the Business including a number of selfless drops in front of packs to stop easy marks. Hope he gets the respect he deserves for it.

Gowers is getting better and better / can he be our next rookie to star - has the grunt of those players and really adds something to us. How about the half volley goal! If our talks can contest he will be an absolute menace.

Bad

Obviously losing Naughton didn’t help. He is still a kid but takes intercepts and also hits packs allowing players like Williams to take more markets or clear ground balls.

Young just seemed lost - he is there because of his marking but doesn’t go for marks. He is 19 and just needs to back himself to go for it. He is watching others when he is the best mark and needs to go for it and bring our Small’s into the game. I am very confident he will make it but Trengrove will be a big improvement for us at this stage.

Webb was statistically poor but when he got it he did some very good things in traffic. To me he is an outside player that needed to toughen up - playing him in the VFL as an inside is a great way of doing this but not where he should play at seniors where he is up against seasoned contested nuts. Also for his career - next year we get Libba and West and a rapidly improving McClean. He has good skills and we need this. Play him on the wing in the AFL.

Decision to play one Ruck. Could have cost us the game. We have a few players with less than 15 touches - would we have been better with a Campbell or Trengrove - no doubt. Even Campbell haters will admit he gets a reasonable number of touches and takes a couple of marks. In this game Trengrove would have delivered exactly what we got him for contesting in the Rick and covering for Naughton

Dalhaus has gone quiet hasn’t he. Coincidence that he is in contract discussions and appears to be being told he is behind a resolution on Bonti (wouldn’t bother him) and McClean (may have him thinking he can get a better deal elsewhere). Despite everything people say we consistently see players underperforming when this is going on in the background. Dalhaus is a star when confident but without his spirit he doesn’t have the other traits that allow him to be OK when he doesn’t bring it. Was way under his standard.

RFI

I thought Badger played OK on Dorko but 4 goals and 26 ain’t great. Problem is this is something we would have thought Jong could do better but hasn’t come along quite as we like. On our list only these two have the speed and application to do this well. Picken was the best in the league but now is too valuable on his own. Not sure what to do here.

I am a huge fan of Wallis and he is always in my 22 but he seems to play too many roles to settle. He is a rover or Centre- on the guts. Yes he can kick goals but this is not his best. Again he does a job but remember last Libba injury when he went straight in to play the same role - he was a star. We play a few though there to get there development going but just put him in the guys and let him be the leader we want. Bonti - Macrae - Wallis is a gun Centre bounce group. In his floating role he is only a marginal performer - well under his ability.

Dale and Lipinski are both developing well so this is not a criticism but just part of their development - both show flashes of brilliance but still watch a lot of the play when they are both smart and skilled players who need to take the game on more. See Ed Richard at 18 is prepared to take on the game more than these. Both are in critical areas we need to improve and have the tools to do it. I have no doubt they will and a few more kgs on both and they will be a very dangerous pair.

Cordy has mongrel and an aggression that allows him to play a little bigger than his height. But sometimes he tries to be too neat and not JSU going hard. It is now time for him to take Morris’s Chair. Morris will be back but at 36 even his greatest fans will admit (reluctantly) that he can’t keep going much longer. This means Cordy being first to initiate contact and hardest to attack every contest.

Williams has been fantastic and came into the game but had a slow start. He is too good for this and meters gained last week were 2nd in the league. That is what he is capable of. Again - he is on the right trajectory and a bit of up and down is normal. We have found a Matty Boyd v2 in Defence but also brings his own great boot and will play More and More minutes in the middle as a contested beast. Down this week but still going well.

Crozier - was better than many say - consistent and attacks contests. He still needs to attack more in the air and is still a bit unsure about when to go and when to wait - too many times our defenders were just watching the opposition mark not knowing who goes up - and where everyone else is placed. Needs to work on this. Is particularly unsure with Wood there - seems to want to be the intercept marker but doesn’t want to get in the way. Problem is he is not using his great overhead marking.

JJ - was ok but well under his standard - he was being outrun by Hunter - nothing to be embarrassed about but to little involvement for me. Not his best game not his worst but he can do much better.

Next week we need:

- Crozier to have his best game on Eddie

- Roughy or Campbell to take care Ruck and allow Boyd to attack More in the forward line and be more impactful- he will beat Jenkins in the Ruck. Unfortunately - probably for Webb

- Trengrove to CHB on Jenkins - can’t have easy marks to better talks. He will not spray them like Hipwood

- Cordy has his coming of age game on Tex

- Waliy to beat Crouch head to head

- but most of all bring the manic pressure - against us previously and Richmond they struggle if the space is closed on them and they get out tackled. If they can run free they will win by 10 goals but we can win if it is manic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back