Autopsy Rd 14 Loss: Here comes another one, just like the other one

Who played well for the Blues vs the Giants (Blues supporters only)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s strange seeing people commenting on our lack of effort without it all being put down to Murphy being in the side.
I think we have a poor game plan and we have overrated a lot of our players. We probably have 8-9 who have never really played consistent good AFL level football at any time of their career. We also have probably the worst midfield in the league.

I was looking forward to seeing the players tear it up knowing the club has commenced a review. Was hoping to see tackles, 2 way running, defensive intent, hitting up players in space. I am so disappointed.
I feel for ya. I'm pretty much the same.

There are some fundamentals in football. Irrevocable facts. 'You don't need to be the best player to be able to tackle, you need will' is one of them.

We have no will.

Jsos tried to rally the troops at times, but had another one of those 'almost' games. No one else seems capable of leading. I say that as a 100% proponent of giving Cripps the Captaincy. (not so sure about Doc, and not at all a fan of co-captaincy, it reeks of indecision.)

Indeed.

But I would argue it is hardly the players' fault that we have very clearly put a club structure around them that is failing miserably. The impacts of that have destroyed any chance the squad has of generating said passion.

Hopefully we are at the bottom. Suspect we are not.
Yep, that’s fair

Unfortunately I agree that this might not be the lowest we can go, suspect some players might want to leave after this season...

No.15 would be close to the worst captain of all time for Carlton.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. His constant fumbling and woeful disposals are not the quality we want in a leader. The constant kick to a contest bomb on the wing is extremely frustrating to watch.

We need to accelerate this review now. The club has to either come out and stand up for Teague and give him more help with better assistants or end his tenure now. One or the other has to happen

I don't think it is totally Teague's fault, either...the joint is rotten all over.

Agreed. I think I edited my post after you read it but I said much the same thing.

That’s why there is not much point in getting hung up on ins and outs (except for enforcing standards and, perhaps, playing young ones), or how much difference Plow would or wouldn’t make etc etc .. even including the coaching situation and coaches ... it’s just trying to paper over cracks that are running running very deep, imo.

I’m guessing all aspects of the club require change and all required it yesterday. I include the captains in this conversation.

We’ll get there eventually..

Last edited:
It’s time for a Ross reset
I’m really curious from the Ross fans how they think that is going to go?

Rule changes have made his game style even less effective. He tried to switch to an attacking game in his last year and his teams were slaughtered.

Our recruiting and list is focused more on attacking styles of play. Are we ready for another Malthouse style churning of the list if we bring Ross in?

Lol. Great that you can be so positive still, but many of us are mentally exhausted.
mentally exhausted? over a ball sport? that you're not even participating in? do you think you might have deeper issues beyond carlton?

1624107477337.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game plan struggled at VFL level . We played a bottom 4 side with the likes of Murphy, SPS, O'Brien, Casboult, Williamson in the team.

Should have lost with the effort we showed the first 2 and a half qtrs.

Just hope this external review puts us in the right direction in all aspects of the club as this club needs a spark and a plan that's implementable.
This is a very telling observation, IMO. I thought the 2nds looked lke a very good side on paper. It is disturbing to hear they played without effort.

That means -
1, a Club wide acceptance of mediocre effort has become ingrained
2, the likely suspects for inclusion in the 1's don't want it enough

*I have not seen the game, relying on your report for this comment.

Worst performance of the year
Players showed up for one quarter
-35 in tackles
Players looked like they’ve quit on the coach, like in 2012, 2015 and 2018/9. Like clockwork - every 2 or 3 years
Horrendous and I hope Sayers takes the broom through the joint

I’m really curious from the Ross fans how they think that is going to go?

Rule changes have made his game style even less effective. He tried to switch to an attacking game in his last year and his teams were slaughtered.

Our recruiting and list is focused more on attacking styles of play. Are we ready for another Malthouse style churning of the list if we bring Ross in?

The tactical part of coaching is the job of the assistants. Have you heard how Freo and Saints players gush about Ross and the cultures he built. That’s what we need, a playing group willing to do what is required to win. The how Ross can get from the assistants (although I’m pretty comfortable he has a good enough footy brain to do that to).

Juddy was right, we didn’t need a coach with training wheels, we needed a finisher.
Chris copped a ******* shellacking over that comment, but guess what, would anyone like to challenge Chris mutha ******* Judd on what he knows about football and how the game works?
Teague is done, I thought I’d never say this, but I think we should get Lyon if the Pies haven’t already put the paperwork in front his Manager.
Stanton giggling in the box is the worst thing I’ve seen in my 50 odd years of footy, that is ******* deplorable, and he played at my junior footy club and I was happy for him and his success in making the big time, but * that, it was amateur hour in our box and I ain’t giving one more red cent to my club whilst that type of shite happens.
Pull the bandaid now and give Lyon half a year to work the group out, we have loads of talent, clean a few out, bring in a few and at least will have a coach and system that doesn’t leak accountability and goals like Teagues shitty worldview.
Every week I think, “jeez, this mob ain’t that good, we have just as much talent on the ground or in the stables, what the * is going on”.
That’s the bloke in charge, I was on the Teague train, but I’ve pulled the pin on my carriage, my stop was the last station, I’ll walk home from here, see ya’s later, good luck to wherever that caboose takes ya’s!👍

Sh*t you would be worried if this was your draft year and Carlton had you in their sights. A tragedy if you could play a bit as well because you know your just going to regress.
Hats of to Matty Kennedy tonight. He at least kicks the ball with intent, well most of the time. There were a few hiccups but still it was pleasing to see when he did.

Last edited:
Of course they do.

But we can't just bin 'em all, can we?

We have more problems than you can poke a stick at, but the players we have are the players we have. Lots of pain to come (hopefully as little as possible), but the constant kicking of the players is absolute rubbish.

And if we're not here to support them, then why are we here?
I agree kicking players is not on. But a good coach should play players to their strengths and give clear instructions as to what he doesn't wan them to attempt in pressure situations. some times holding onto the ball for a hopeful ball up, or even a holding the ball against (providing it is not in the opposition deep forward fifty), gives su time to reset & pick up your men,

the amount of time we dish out a handball to a teammate under pressure and that handball is so bad it always results in loss of possession and good midfielders cut us up.

dont think we have any clearance set plays at stoppages. Under pressure we pick up the ball and just look for the nearest navy jumper to dish it off to. obviously we have not been coached in this regard or alternatively our players are not fottballers.

No.15 would be close to the worst captain of all time for Carlton.
i cant believe how much he's deteriorated , he was rock solid down back, Never been the same since his knee,
Probably needs to go to the 2's, just to beat up on some players to get confidence back

Back