Autopsy Rd 9 Review - Never Go Full Dockery

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what to make of that game to be honest. In a weird way there are a fair few positives to take from it.
Definitely one of the stranger ways to lose by 45 points, and we genuinely seemed to match them around the ground. (Pretty much all stats back this up too).

We definitely need to recruit some good small/medium forwards who can hit targets and kick goals.
Amiss, Treacy and Freddy are good enough.
JOM, Voss, Emmett, Switta, Sturt, Banfield, Erasmus and Walters (the 2024 version) are not.

The resting Fyfe forward experiment is over - play him in the middle.
The Banners on a half forward flank experiment should be over. He has some good games but is not consistent enough. Play him up the ground.
Sturt has not shown enough in 6 years on our list. Yes, he's been given chances.
Walters looks done.
Realistically we need 3 or 4 good players up there. If Deelan and Simpson develop that's potentially 2.

So wasn't able to watch. Tried to listen to the last on the way home, and the commentary was awful.

Why were the flat Paps.. Why??

However from everything read and reviewed, it sounds like we killed them out of the middle, and the torched us on transition?

So if we kick more goals and it goes back to the middle??

All of the external factors aside, it sounds clear what needs to be worked on. Working harder to close down the easy exits (which they've been ok-ish at this season). And conversion inside 50.

We have the last 10% to go to complete this team. Even with gestures wildly everything, we matched it with the team most believe will push for the flag.

The areas for improvement are clear, and can be worked on in-season.

Time to take a deep breath, we've (nearly) got this.

I've said this plenty times before, but I would've thought after 2013, our club mantra shouldve been "bad kicking is bad football". Our only shot at the cup to date and we blew it by bad kicking.

Saturday night was another classic example of that. I was really proud of the effort the guys brought. I thought we really matched the swans, but we just gave them no scoreboard pressure.

there were any easy 5 goals missed in the opening quarter and a half:
  • Voss's set shot
  • Jaeger's 2 relatively simple snaps for a player of his "calibre"
  • 2 more i forget now and dont want to remember

It's not like we had 1:10 on the board because of a bunch of rushed behinds or really tricky shots, we just butchered the ball, whilst Sydney waltzed down and made the tricky shots winners.

Great to see the guys essentially match one of the best teams at their own game, but gee, full dockery to do the hard stuff well and then completely butcher the simple stuff.

hard to be focussed on kicking straight when Grief is deep in many players. even if they didnt know cam they would have felt the pain of thier team mates who did know him.

We all different, we all respond to grief differently.

Lets forget this game and move on. If we win this weekend and follow that up with some wins against top 8 teams we are doing well. a Loss this weekend and failure to beat the top teams is time for a rebuild

Quick reminder to the posters who (like myself!) were frustrated with the game…

The shock of losing a teammate (and for many a close friend that they have regularly caught up with since he left the dockers) will have shaken many of the team’s core beliefs and values - especially the reality of mortality and the finality of death which to many in their twenties is absolutely brutal:(

Only way to deal with this is time (and no, 24 hours isnt even vaguely enough:(

For those who like sticking needles into their eyes, watch the game again, particularly the errors. To me, these werent mainly skill errors - they were a lack of focus, a lack of coordination qnd connection - time and time again. Horror misses and choices, not split second timing being off. Not for a lack of trying, but for a lack of being able to concentrate when keeping their emotions in check was tqking up a lot of available brain space and energy. Put simply, they were always likely to lose the game as soon as the news of mccarthy’s passing spread.

The game was nothing like the eagles debacle - which the team should feel ashamed of. This was a game of failed effort not a lack of it. Big difference.

The boys have shown they are worthy of our support and have the ability to match it with the best. Maybe we can show them we are there to support them - as well as our team - when temporarily unbearable s**t happens?

Rest in peace Cam - your smile and spirit touched a lot of people.

hard to be focussed on kicking straight when Grief is deep in many players. even if they didnt know cam they would have felt the pain of thier team mates who did know him.

We all different, we all respond to grief differently.

Lets forget this game and move on. If we win this weekend and follow that up with some wins against top 8 teams we are doing well. a Loss this weekend and failure to beat the top teams is time for a rebuild
100% agree with this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bought myself to watch the first quarter.

We legit should have had 4 goals on the board before they even created a scoring chance then McDonald kicks a ridiculous snap.

We then had another 3 chances at a goal and they walk another one in.
We then squander several more chances including O'Meara's absolute soda and Emmett completely messing up 2 decent chances in a row and they ping one from 45.

By then I remember all the air had gone out of the crowd at the ground and we were never a chance.

Just a complete comedy of errors. Really bad errors.

Serong was fantastic and I liked Walker's game.
Forwardline was laughable but let's be real even if we kicked with 50% accuracy that was still a 4-5 goal loss.

Momentum matters, and if we had kicked at 50% accuracy we would have been within a goal or 2 at half time.

It's pretty difficult mentally to believe you're in with a chance when you're 8 goals down, and the 2nd half reflected that.

Goal kicking is infectious good or bad and extends to individually and collectively as a team

It's like when you start kicking points it adds to the perceived pressure and from there impacts mentally and physically Also on flipside when you hitting from anywhere it's like you can't miss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back