Preview Rd12 2018 St Kilda vs Sydney, Sat June 9th Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it that way. He's not a dominant tap ruck-man, and our mids are already struggling but finding ways to win games. Apart from his work around the ground he's replaceable.
His work around the ground is invaluable. Without him in the team regardless if we had the tallest tap ruckman on earth, it’d be like playing minus a player

Ideally he would be a second ruck, pinch hitting and playing forward. But unless we have a genuine tap ruckman who wins 85%+ ruck contests then its useless. Cameron or Naismith will lose majority of their contests. May aswell stick with 1 ruckman who can do things around the ground rather than 2, of which 1 struggles to get a touch

I can’t remember the last team announcement where everyone just said that’s brilliant :p

I think overall these are good changes

Jacks woefully out of form
Newman a butcher
Stoddart not ready (lacks fitness)

In

Papley- if fit is always best 22
Mccartin fix up forward structure
Robinson- not a fan. But will run out a game better than stoddart right now
I cant remember ever agreeing with you until now.

Armety and Cameron both spanked McCartin last week in the twos. Cameron plunking it everywhere and ran all day. Robbo played well as an inside mid, hopefully he plays here and not some everywhere role he gets given in the seniors. Ronke and Paps in the same team, fantastic; ghey will share the mid rotations KJ does.

He got 10 coaches votes last week. He's our only tall marking target around the ground and our only actual league-standard ruckman. Our season is already on the brink without Tippett, Naismith, Mills, Reid and Melican. Behind Sinclair is a bunch of players not AFL-ready. Sinclair is the one player we can't afford to lose.

True it would be a big blow but I was just saying we would survive without him. IMO there's only one player in our team who we could not win the flag without and that is Heath Grundy.

I cant remember ever agreeing with you until now.

We went for the same footy team

So that’s twice

Do you like apricot chicken? I don’t

Which player is being managed next week, only to be selected as an emergency?
We’re playing West Coast next week. Last 2 weeks we’ve played Brisbane Carlton and of course St Kilda this week. My hunch is there will be no managing next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hunch is there will be no managing next week.

I'm confident the MC will manage to duff it up again.

I am looking forward to seeing Robbo claim a spot this week though.
He's gone from object of derision to respected contributor this year I think. Or will cement that status this week I believe. There should be a BF end of season award for it. 'The Towers Cup'?

His most recent NEAFL game.
30 disposals, 5 marks, 14 tackles, 10 inside 50, 1 rebound 50 and 10 clearances.

Have to reward form and he keeps knocking at the door.

His NEAFL vs last year is up
Disposals +9 (35)
Marks +3 (7)
Tackles + 2 (6)
Inside 50 +3 (7)
Rebound 50 +2 (3)

I don’t have the numbers for clearances but you’d assume +3 or 4.

Shhhhhhhhhhh this is BF. No place for facts or logic around here... this is a place where emotions and opinions rule ;)

I agree that if Sinclair goes down Cameron will be thrown into the deep-end, and Sinclair does need help in the ruck, not just from Marsh or Rohan. But I think the coaching staff kind of missed the chance with Cameron back when both Reid and Buddy were out. No regrets because McCartin was decent in the Geelong-Norf-Hawthorn-Fremantle stretch, but that was probably the time to play Cameron as he could have gotten some AFL experience into him while simultaneously providing some support in the ruck and forward line.

But right now, with Buddy back in the forward line, it makes more sense to go with McCartin who at least has the experience now to work alongside Buddy and possibly get some kind of rhythm going.
I'm not seeing your logic there...
We need the ruck support more than ever.
I think Cameron has the ability to do a lot more for us than Naismith. He won't win as many taps but he will mark it more - and I just want to see some of Buddy's laser like field kicking going to a good mark/set shot. Clearly Cameron's weakness is that he doesn't bring the ball to ground as much....what with marking it and all. Once he gets that out of his game he might get a run....

I'm not seeing your logic there...
We need the ruck support more than ever.
I think Cameron has the ability to do a lot more for us than Naismith. He won't win as many taps but he will mark it more - and I just want to see some of Buddy's laser like field kicking going to a good mark/set shot. Clearly Cameron's weakness is that he doesn't bring the ball to ground as much....what with marking it and all. Once he gets that out of his game he might get a run....

I'm not saying we don't need ruck support.. as I said in my original comment, I think the coaches just see Cameron as a strictly rucking option. Because if he's forward he's not as mobile as McCartin. If he were to play forward it would really rely on him clunking marks that you just can't guarantee a debutant will take. At least McCartin, if he doesn't mark it, can win it on the ground and has some other redeeming qualities like decent pressure and pace.

You are assuming Cameron's NEAFL form will automatically translate to senior form, but the coaches probably don't share your confidence and I'm not surprised as it rarely does with big fellas (just ask Paddy McCartin, Josh Shache, Jonathon Patton, Tom Boyd etc.)

I'm not saying we don't need ruck support.. as I said in my original comment, I think the coaches just see Cameron as a strictly rucking option. Because if he's forward he's not as mobile as McCartin. If he were to play forward it would really rely on him clunking marks that you just can't guarantee a debutant will take. At least McCartin, if he doesn't mark it, can win it on the ground and has some other redeeming qualities like decent pressure and pace.

You are assuming Cameron's NEAFL form will automatically translate to senior form, but the coaches probably don't share your confidence and I'm not surprised as it rarely does with big fellas (just ask Paddy McCartin, Josh Shache, Jonathon Patton, Tom Boyd etc.)

So you don't wanna bring in Cameron cos you think his good NEAFL form won't translate to good AFL form.
But you're happy to bring in AA who's bad/so-so NEAFL form you think could translate to good AFL form? :drunk: :p

Just jesting. Happy with the selection in Mccartin. As i mentioned in an initial post on his debut, i loved his tank. He just seemed to be everywhere. Threatened to take a number of marks on that day too against double teamed hawks. At the same time, also curious to see what cameron can bring, as the ability to clunk a few more would add immensely to the potency of our forward setup ala reid. Cameron has not only shown good neafl form, but he showed that marking ability in the JLT against GWS that was also in the wet. Also seems to be an accurate shot for goal which is not mccartin's strongsuit. At this stage, suspect mccartin has him covered for ground level ability.

Last edited:
Love the ins.

Hoping Robbo does a Kirk and nails a chance.

I really think it is brave and sensible to play Tom. Upside looks great.

Papley is just best 22. Hope he plays forward.

I like Robbo.
Over the last couple of years, whenever he was given a call up, he's smashed his shoulders twice & has never really had a good run at his in & under role.
His two way running ability is rated at the club but like you said, he needs to really grab this chance & make it difficult for the coaches to leave him out.
He was critical against the Hawks. Unlucky to miss the following week.

This thread is absolutely amazing!

We are talking about how Sinclair is pretty much the backbone of our club at the moment and how our season is over if he isn't in our team! Last year, we were saying our season is over if he gets picked in our team.

BF swans board at it's finest. I love every minute of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back