Review Review v Freo - Rd 13, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not playing inside mid as you asked

Don't blame him he goes where directed by coaches .

Was at game, very little time inside mid .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wherever he was playing it was a lacklustre effort IMO. Made far too many mistakes.

Yes the coaches would be to blame then. Playing inside mid was what he was born for, and especially if Wines is not playing.

Heard Brogans interview at the airport on YouTube within the first 2 mins he said “gotta look at the positives we took it up to Fremantle for the 3 quarters, we really rate freo”... really, f**k this club just doesn’t get it.

We are a mediocre club run by d***heads

To be fair, he would have been told to repeat the company line. I can't imagine the Dean Brogan we knew on the field would dream of uttering such tripe.

I was so chilled for the entire game. Hardly gave a ****. Watched bits and pieces and felt absolutely nothing when we lost.

I have more important things to care about honestly.
Not a word of a lie, saw the quarter time score and wasn't overly surprised. Next score I saw was 3/4 time and predicted a 4 goal loss. The perfect Port Adelaide script.

Ryder had 2 kicks. I remember them both as they resulted in goals early in the first quarter. He did not kick the ball again for the rest of the match. He's not making much of a case for another game let alone another contract.
Ladhams should replace him. But Ken.

One of our coaches will be on fiveAA later today if anyone is interested to listen. These ones aren’t usually available on line afterwards.
I’m guessing Timmy G will bite his tongue when interviewing them though.
There's public Ginever and private Ginever. You have to remember, Tim is still involved at the Club.

To be fair, he would have been told to repeat the company line. I can't imagine the Dean Brogan we knew on the field would dream of uttering such tripe.
There is a company line, I'm sure. It's usually something like "admire your passion", followed by a disclaimer of some sort. I've seen it too often for it not to be deliberate.

Voss makes excuses for Ryder.
Says he has been one of the top rucks in the comp and needs to adjust to working more up up forward.
Kane asks why our two top rucks couldn’t beat Freo’s inexperienced ruck.
Voss said it isn’t about the rucks, it’s about the relationships and connections on the ground.

Accepts we get a lot of kicking pressure in front of goal when it is so congested which makes goal kicking tough.

Says we have to acknowledge our role in the free kicks lol.

Says we didn’t produce in the big moments.

Says we need to look at the positives.

Same old same old hey.
Yawn.

Last edited:
Voss makes excuses for Ryder.
Says he has been one of the top rucks in the comp and needs to adjust to working more up up forward.
Kane asks why our two top rucks couldn’t beat Freo’s inexperienced ruck.
Voss said it isn’t about the rucks, it’s about the relationships and connections on the ground.

Accepts we get a lot of kicking pressure in front of goal when it is so congested which makes goal kicking tough.

Says we have to acknowledge our role in the free kicks lol.

Says we didn’t produce in the big moments.

Says we need to look at the positives.

Same old same old hey.
Yawn.

We have become such a spinless, don't rock the boat, never hurt anyones feelings, Club.

Just full of flimsy words to cover failings, and they wonder why support is diminishing.

We may live in a time where people are progressively moving towards a feel good way of life but there still is a place in all of this for honesty of assessment and aggressive leadership. As soon as the idiots who are running this joint work that out we may yet see a truer Port Adelaide re-emerge but until there has been a drastic change in how we go about things we'll continue to be the ones that fall away every single time it gets tough.

This all starts at the top - Koch.

Cant blame Hinkley for this one.

People saying Dougal isn't a forward, are the same people last week after Saints saying "Woah did you see Dougal up front - smashed it".

We got stitched up hard by the umpires (like this was just ridiculous - Walters wasn't that good he got 3 freebies and another 50m pen (albeit that was probably there are Rozzee didn't move East West).

But the worst part of the game was Motlop who pulled out of a 50/50 where he had a chance to grab the ball and completely murder his opponent, Bonner with his significant lack of awareness chipping in D50, mate his a powerful pass or go straight up the line - he did this twice. What also didn't help was the stupid stupid play on from marks or free kicks to a player running past without even looking to see if he is being closely chased. Again turn over resulting in oppo goals.

This was not a Hinkley loss- this was solely on the players.

You can't say that Hinkley should have brought back Dixon and Wines either, because we've seen that play out before. The step from SNAFl to AFL is HUGE, the gamne against the red legs would have bode well for both fo them, they now have 2 SNAFLs under the belt and maybe can have a call back this week. Ebo needs another SNAFL. I'd like to see Rocky come through the SNAFL too as I just don';t think he offers much, hes quite soft, and I like either Drew or Atley (more-so Drew) that him.

This was not a Hinkley loss- this was solely on the players.

Nice sentiment and all, but we've seen this loss every year two or three times a year for the past 5 seasons. The best 22 has been almost entirely turned over since then.

We don't even need to go back 5 years. Let's go back to Round 17 2018, less than one year ago. Same opponent, same ground.

OUT: Hombsch, Wines, Polec, Wingard, Rockliff, Dixon, Ebert, Thomas, Watts.
IN: Hartlett, Burton, Lienert, Duursma, Rozee, Lycett, Butters, Farrell, Bonner

Nearly half the team changed. Not to mention positional changes like Dougal up forward and Houston into the middle. But the 0.0 quarter in both games which cost us a win remained the same. There's one constant, and it's not the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whateley just said the third quarter between Freo and Port was the best quarter of footy for the year.
Sick of these commentators praising Port this year, this is the fourth person I have heard praise Port for that game. No mention of the fourth.
Ugh we are stuck with Ken.

It’s one of those weird ones. If we’d enjoyed their rub of the green with the free kick count and enjoyed a handful of phantom goals we probably go into the last quarter 5 goals up instead of just the 1 point.

The dreadful final quarter replete with all the usual Hinkleyball failings is another thing altogether, but the chicken-egg factor of what could’ve been with anything approaching a fair shake is undeniable.

Nice sentiment and all, but we've seen this loss every year two or three times a year for the past 5 seasons. The best 22 has been almost entirely turned over since then.

We don't even need to go back 5 years. Let's go back to Round 17 2018, less than one year ago. Same opponent, same ground.

OUT: Hombsch, Wines, Polec, Wingard, Rockliff, Dixon, Ebert, Thomas, Watts.
IN: Hartlett, Burton, Lienert, Duursma, Rozee, Lycett, Butters, Farrell, Bonner

Nearly half the team changed. Not to mention positional changes like Dougal up forward and Houston into the middle. But the 0.0 quarter in both games which cost us a win remained the same. There's one constant, and it's not the playing group.

Hinkley and the coaching group definetly need to take some blame through poor selections, poor positional moves and then no moves during teh last quarter when needed

But the on field leaders need a massive kick up the a***. Time and time again they let us down in big moments, thats why we have such a shocking record in close games.

I hate geelong, but gee their leaders stand up in big moments, ours dont and never have.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After feedback, this'll be the first round that I'm adding Champion Data's centre square clearances stat to the information. As this was a close contest, final quarter stats are provided separately.

Overall Summary - 31 Bounces

Duursma 27 wing
Boak 27
Amon 25 (14w, 11i)
R.Gray 21
Westhoff 20 wing
Houston 20
SPP 10
S.Gray 3 (2i, 1w)
Motlop 2

Rucks:
Ryder 17
Lycett 14

Centre Clearance Data (Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Boak 4
Amon 2
Lycett 2
R.Gray 2
Houston 1
SPP 1
Westhoff 1

1st Half - 17

Amon 15 (7i, 6w)
Duursma 14
Boak 14
Westhoff 12 wing
R.Gray 10
Houston 9
SPP 8
Motlop 2
S.Gray 1

Ryder 6
Lycett 11

2nd Half - 14

Duursma 13 wing
Boak 13
R.Gray 11
Houston 11
Amon 10 (6w, 4i)
Westhoff 8 wing
SPP 2
S.Gray 2 (1i, 1w)

Ryder 11
Lycett 3

Final Term - 4

Boak 4
R.Gray 4
Houston 4
Duursma 3 wing
Westhoff 3 wing
Amon 2 wing

Ryder 3
Lycett 1

Notes:
- As an outsider, with Rockliff & Wines out it was genuinely surprising to see Amon & Houston receive more inside time than SPP
- Amon smashes his previous high for inside starts in analysed games of 4 in Rd 7, 2018
- Only the 2nd appearance of Houston as a mid in analysed games and first as an inside mid
- SPP has now finished outside the top 6 mids in 3 of the past 4 analysed games

Hinkley and the coaching group definetly need to take some blame through poor selections, poor positional moves and then no moves during teh last quarter when needed

But the on field leaders need a massive kick up the a***. Time and time again they let us down in big moments, thats why we have such a shocking record in close games.

I hate geelong, but gee their leaders stand up in big moments, ours dont and never have.
For a brief moment in Ken's first year or 2 they did.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After feedback, this'll be the first round that I'm adding Champion Data's centre square clearances stat to the information. As this was a close contest, final quarter stats are provided separately.

Overall Summary - 31 Bounces

Duursma 27 wing
Boak 27
Amon 25 (14w, 11i)
R.Gray 21
Westhoff 20 wing
Houston 20
SPP 10
S.Gray 3 (2i, 1w)
Motlop 2

Rucks:
Ryder 17
Lycett 14

Centre Clearance Data (Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Boak 4
Amon 2
Lycett 2
R.Gray 2
Houston 1
SPP 1
Westhoff 1

1st Half - 17

Amon 15 (7i, 6w)
Duursma 14
Boak 14
Westhoff 12 wing
R.Gray 10
Houston 9
SPP 8
Motlop 2
S.Gray 1

Ryder 6
Lycett 11

2nd Half - 14

Duursma 13 wing
Boak 13
R.Gray 11
Houston 11
Amon 10 (6w, 4i)
Westhoff 8 wing
SPP 2
S.Gray 2 (1i, 1w)

Ryder 11
Lycett 3

Final Term - 4

Boak 4
R.Gray 4
Houston 4
Duursma 3 wing
Westhoff 3 wing
Amon 2 wing

Ryder 3
Lycett 1

Notes:
- As an outsider, with Rockliff & Wines out it was genuinely surprising to see Amon & Houston receive more inside time than SPP
- Amon smashes his previous high for inside starts in analysed games of 4 in Rd 7, 2018
- Only the 2nd appearance of Houston as a mid in analysed games and first as an inside mid
- SPP has now finished outside the top 6 mids in 3 of the past 4 analysed games
It's a typical Ken over reaction.

You think I play too many inside mids and poor kicks?

Let me show you how that doesn't work by playing all outside mids.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was so chilled for the entire game. Hardly gave a ****. Watched bits and pieces and felt absolutely nothing when we lost.

I have more important things to care about honestly.

I watched 2 and a half quarters of garbage and then for about the last 10 mins of the third term when it started to appear that we'd actually started to wake up and get our game going...... well i got my hopes up.

I then went into last term thinking here we go, we've clicked.

But no, the same worrying s**t that was glaring for the first 2 and a half quarters all came to the fore in one massively disgraceful shitstorm of impotent football.

Oh dear, I even have crow supporters telling me we lost it at the selection table. Fremantle have one of the strongest midfields in the competition and we went in with our lightest midfield options. Amon instead of Drew? And what’s up with SPP?

Ryder seems to be having a sook. If he doesn’t like his role, he can get lost.

Edit: Ryder does not chase and it is a real problem.

Not a word of a lie, saw the quarter time score and wasn't overly surprised. Next score I saw was 3/4 time and predicted a 4 goal loss. The perfect Port Adelaide script.
Too true. We have senior players who are serial offenders in constantly letting us down in crucial moments. Hence the continual losing of close games, winning when we are not expected to win, losing when we are expected to win etc etc. I dont blame our young players one bit. To allow the clearance and inside 50 count in that last quarter on saturday to be be so lopsided, is all down to a lack of desire and that comes from within. Senior coach and some senior players to blame. Motlop, Ryder, Westhoff, Jonas are the worst offenders in my opinion. We need to get some grunt into the team and get some of the softies out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back