AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobbs is an interesting pick,

He is not fast
He is not agile
His tank isn't the biggest
His kicking is average
He has no x factor

So why do many rate him in the top 10 and why are Richmond continually linked to him?
Not sure where you are getting the above information, nevertheless he is still rated by all the draft experts as the best inside mid in the draft. If we need/want an inside mid then he is the best available no brainer!

Not sure where you are getting the above information, nevertheless he is still rated by all the draft experts as the best inside mid in the draft. If we need/want an inside mid then he is the best available no brainer!
You don’t seriously believe this do you?

You don’t seriously believe this do you?
What that he is rated by most as the best or that I don't rate him? There is an odd disparity between the negative comments above and the subjective opinions of the draft experts. What will count is where our (RFC) selectors view him. I prefer Ward but would be happy with Hobbs at 7.

Hobbs is an interesting pick,

He is not fast
He is not agile
His tank isn't the biggest
His kicking is average
He has no x factor

So why do many rate him in the top 10 and why are Richmond continually linked to him?
Hobbs has elite agility - see below ... His 2020 testing

Last edited:
Most players improve their times in their draft year but this was his only March of last year

20m 3.16
Agility 8.15

That agility time puts him in the top 10 of this years crop for the National combine and an 83 running vertical jump puts him just outside the top 10. His lack of athleticism is massively exaggerated.

Pick 31 to move up 4 spots is crazy talk.
Maybe. But in 2019 GWS gave up a future first to move up 2 spots (to #4), Brisbane gave up a future second to move up one spot (to #22 & got a F4), GCS gave up a future #11 for #27 and Essendon gave up a F2 to move up 5 spots (to #30 & got #50).

So crazy things do happen, it depends on the draft and how teams view it.

Maybe. But in 2019 GWS gave up a future first to move up 2 spots (to #4), Brisbane gave up a future second to move up one spot (to #22 & got a F4), GCS gave up a future #11 for #27 and Essendon gave up a F2 to move up 5 spots (to #30 & got #50).

So crazy things do happen, it depends on the draft and how teams view it.
Yes these are great examples.

GWS rationale was to protect the pick before the Tom agreement bid so other factors at play.

Brisbane seemed desperate for Devon Robertson, which is probably the perfect example of Richmond trading up to get that slider at the bombers pick. Overpaying but got their man.

The GCS pick swap is still baffling. These are the guys that ponied up pick 2 for Weller.

The Bombers pick swap was probably fair value and not over paying.

I stand corrected on the Agility issue.

I am looking for reasons as to why he is so highly rated and apart from his ability to find the ball better than most there is no stand out reason.

Is his football IQ high?

I am looking for reasons as to why he is so highly rated and apart from his ability to find the ball better than most there is no stand out reason.

Is his football IQ high?
He is the best phone box mid in the draft. Put the ball, him and a an opponent in a phone box, and he is coming out with it.

As the thrust of the game of AFL starts with getting the ball, he is pretty damn good at that and it's probably not a bad place to start.

Is his football IQ high?
Don't forget, the club believes they can contend again in 2022. If that's the case, they will value ready to go draftees who can impact next year highly. Apart from JHF, Hobbs and Ward are probably the most ready to go from day 1.

That's why if either of them are there at our pick, we will jump. Hobbs is more likely.

Is his football IQ high?
Richmond are the worst clearance and contested possession side in the league. He’s the best clearance and contested possession mid in the draft. Not hard to see why the link is drawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair enough. I'd still be wanting a future 3rd or something coming back the other way.
I suppose if a guy like Gibcus was falling I wouldn't be too fussed.
We probably only take 3 picks in the draft anyway and fill our rookie list so I can see 56 heading to you

Depending on whether GWS keeps their pick or trades down, I can see Richmond picking up one of Hobbs, Ward, Gibcus, Rachele. One of those with 7 and Sonsie at 15 would be a good result. Seems likely at this stage it will be Hobbs that is available but it’s a nice spot to be in knowing one will fall. Johnson is the other one I like here but I think Freo will take him.

If Gibcus doesn’t slide I wouldn’t be surprised to see us pick up JVR at 15.

Some good options could also be available with our later picks. Murley, Taylor, Knevitt, McDonald, even Bazzo if we haven’t taken a tall with our first two could be considered here.

Cant really see anyone wanting to do that

Maybe Port if they want to keep to the locals and feel they could still be around later but even then i think theyre confident in non locals with the way Duursma and Butters turned out

With the lack of viewing i suspect most sides will see a mid teen pick as extremely more significant than 2 late 20s
In my opinion Port will trade down if Wanganeen-Milera is taken by Essendon at 11. But it wouldn't be for 2 picks in the 20's. It would all depend on who was available and who you really want if someone slipped and if Port wanted that player too.

In my opinion Port will trade down if Wanganeen-Milera is taken by Essendon at 11. But it wouldn't be for 2 picks in the 20's. It would all depend on who was available and who you really want if someone slipped and if Port wanted that player too.
What would you be trading pick 14 for then?

Port sit in a pretty good spot. I like the first ~15: Daicos, JHF, Callaghan, S.Darcy, Rachelle, Amiss, Hobbs, Mac Andrew, Ward, Erasmus, M.Johnson, Gibcus, Wanganeen Milera, Sinn, Goater (15)

So one of those should atleast be available then you have local product A.Draper aswell

So two of those will atleast still be on the table by your pick. Port probably just pick best non tall available id imagine?

What would you be trading pick 14 for then?

Port sit in a pretty good spot. I like the first ~15: Daicos, JHF, Callaghan, S.Darcy, Rachelle, Amiss, Hobbs, Mac Andrew, Ward, Erasmus, M.Johnson, Gibcus, Wanganeen Milera, Sinn, Goater (15)

So one of those should atleast be available then you have local product A.Draper aswell

So two of those will atleast still be on the table by your pick. Port probably just pick best non tall available id imagine?
I could only see it happening if one of the say top 7 are available at Port's pick and its not a player that Port don't have a need for (ie inside mid). I could see the situation where Port might be interested in 15 and something else for 12. If its a really good player available Port might auction off the pick - I guess Essendon have that option too at 11 if they don't want Wanganeen-Milera. My thinking is Port upgraded to get Wanganeen-Milera and if they don't get him we need to get some value seeing the cost of the upgrade was Ladhams.

Really like richmonds draft hand.
Gonna end up with all the kids they'll need to keep their top 8 spot for the next few years.
It's a great hand for sure, but what's really interesting is how it compares this year compared to pre COVID. It's a lot more speculation and less development given how much footy a lot juniors missed over the last 2 years.

Might be more of a lottery draft than usual.

It's a great hand for sure, but what's really interesting is how it compares this year compared to pre COVID. It's a lot more speculation and less development given how much footy a lot juniors missed over the last 2 years.

I dont think theres much of a lottery in your first 2 picks

The 2nd rounders the SA and WA kids have had plenty of football

Ill be intsrested what the tigers do if an Amiss, Mac Andrew or Gibcus are still on the board at 13 with GWS to pick at 15 (Guaranteed to take one)

Edit: even most Vic kids have played 5-7+ games

Last edited:

Still plenty of talent coming out of SA and WA.
If your recruitment team is half decent you'll find someone.
If not just take any of the decent mature agers available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back