Preview Round 1 2019, Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday March 22nd 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd keep Ablett on the flank. He created three goal assists last night.
He will kick his own from there, but also distribute accurately to others.
I agree. I think sometimes people confuse Gary with his old man - but he doesn't have anything like the leap (who does?) or the explosiveness. He's a far smarter player, and more nimble, and a better disposal. He's not really a deep forward IMO.

Yeah, definitely want him up in as much of the action as possible.

I reckon if he plays forward and averages 15+ or so touches we will be very good things :)

Ablett's vision to be able to quickly sum up a situation and weight a kick to the advantage of a team mate is crazy … Roos in his commentary made mention of this and he was bang on.

To do this from ground level is uncanny, it's like he has an aerial view of the game … god-like if you will.

"They" are saying leg soreness for Bews, which could be anything from an ingrown toenail to an amputation below the knee.
Not sure who 'they' are but Bews carried a shoulder injury for some time last year, hope that's good now because we don't have much in the way of small defenders. Seen someone put Clark in that category but for mine he's more a Tuohy replacement.

On Constable, really liked what I've seen and he should get games but IMO still looks green.

Who is our designated tagger, Guth was very good at this a couple of seasons ago. The Pies have a lot of class in the midfield and fast fwds to capitalise on their input.

It's not even close Dubs. Menegola is on an entirely different level.
I go to the same games you do, but just see it differently. Menegola had a better year 18 than Guthrie, but if I could only choose one in a knockout final, I'd go Guthrie

I go to the same games you do, but just see it differently. Menegola had a better year 18 than Guthrie, but if I could only choose one in a knockout final, I'd go Guthrie
Ditto. Menegola also gets more time up around the football compared to Guthrie. The only caveat on that is that Guthrie is capable of having the odd Barry Crocker, but his flexibility and his game when on-song wins it for mine.

Yep, Guthrie will perform better than Menegola when things aren't on our terms.
That's hardly an achievement though.
It's no wonder we're struggling in finals.

Ablett's vision to be able to quickly sum up a situation and weight a kick to the advantage of a team mate is crazy … Roos in his commentary made mention of this and he was bang on.

To do this from ground level is uncanny, it's like he has an aerial view of the game … god-like if you will.
Atkins alluded to it in an interview last week, saying gazza was always thinking one or two steps ahead the split second he got the ball. Could just sum up the situation and what to do almost instantly. You can’t practice those sort of instincts.

Henry Blicavs Stewart
Clark Taylor O'Connor
Duncan Kelly Selwood
Ablett Hawkins Atkins
Rohan Sav Dahlhaus
Stanley Danger Parfitt

Int: C Guthrie, Menegola, Henderson, Constable
Honestly, I would do the somewhat unthinkable and drop Henderson from that lineup. I'd then move Cam Guthrie back onto a flank, and promote Narkle as another midfielder.

We were so ponderous in our ball movement last year coming out of the back half, I don't think that playing Blitz, Taylor, Henderson, Stewart and Henry in the same team will work. They are all easily in our best 22 players, but not in our best team.

I wish I could like this twice. Perfect summary.

Hasn't changed since 2007 imo. I still remember when he hit up Johnson in the forward line from the centre of the ground in the prelim.

It was perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie was deplorable in the elimination final last year and Menegola was one of our better players. I know stats don't tell the full story but they're better than Guthrie's in each of his years in Geelong colours.

The quicker Guthrie gets traded the better. He's a peaheart.

Guthrie was deplorable in the elimination final last year and Menegola was one of our better players. I know stats don't tell the full story but they're better than Guthrie's in each of his years in Geelong colours.

The quicker Guthrie gets traded the better. He's a peaheart.
Menegola was f**ken s**t in that final.
Guthrie was a total s**t truck too. His last qr wasn't too bad though.

He's a good chance to be in the emergencies but I'd think if he was in contention for round 1 he would've played more game time than that. Where did you find the time on ground stat by the way?

Advanced stats on the AFL website..TG%

Honestly, I would do the somewhat unthinkable and drop Henderson from that lineup. I'd then move Cam Guthrie back onto a flank, and promote Narkle as another midfielder.

We were so ponderous in our ball movement last year coming out of the back half, I don't think that playing Blitz, Taylor, Henderson, Stewart and Henry in the same team will work. They are all easily in our best 22 players, but not in our best team.

And if we have an injury to a defensive tall?....I like Narkle but he has disappointed me so far this campaign...plenty of time to impress though.

I think your alteration unbalances the side....but the MC might well agree with you.....

Do you reckon he’s any good though DtC? I worry he doesn’t have a weapon other than keen goal sense and that doesn’t tend to be enough at AFL level. I think he will lose out to Atkins for that last small forward spot.

Yes..I like what I've seen....he's a quick thinker....good in traffic ..great defensively....good awareness and... good by hand and foot on both sides. His kicking lacks a little penetration I grant you, and the oft quoted "he's a bit slow" hasn't impacted his effectiveness to date. And it looks like he can run all day....

I didnt have him in my Round 1 side, but I think he is certain to get games this year, and it will be interesting to see how he progresses.

And he's more than a just small forward....I thought he was effective when roaming the midfield.

I guess we should all say hello to A Cut Above given he can’t stay away from here long enough to not vote we’ll lose.

Got your September holiday booked yet Bosk?

Also known as Meds btw....got more aliases than EL Chapo....

The kick to Rowan from GAJ was perfection.....perfectly weighted ....he's a freak.

The team I selected has both Henderson and Chook Constable in it.....I really hope Constable plays...
Sorry, typed “Henderson”, meant “Kolo”. Although I’m indifferent between Taylor, Hendo and Kolo, pretty much.

Good 1st up game

If we get walloped - Chris Scott in the after match press conference will say - look we are looking at playing our best football later in the season - and we are very confident that our best football is as good as anyone in the comp

Now when did i hear that before
On the other hand if we win, the Scott Haters will claim that it was nothing to do with the coach, but in spite of Scott.

Sorry, typed “Henderson”, meant “Kolo”. Although I’m indifferent between Taylor, Hendo and Kolo, pretty much.

Understandable confusion.....I guess.....:oops:....

I'm not big on Kolo....so my fear is your right...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back