Preview Round 1, 2020: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 22nd March, 1:10PM AEDT *HILL 150TH, KING DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 60 92.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People see what they want to see.

The Tiges got smashed possession wise losing both the contested and uncontested possession counts, broke even on the centre clearances but lost the stoppages but won comfortably mainly because of their relentless pressure on the ball carrier across the whole ground (52 to tackles to 23) coupled with an incredible 80% disposal efficiency.

It wasn't just the midfield - all over the ground the Doggies couldn't get the ball and when they did they were forced into shoddy disposal.
I’ve watched both games and the tigers mids used the ball much better than Carlton so forgetting stats and just watching the game then the tigers mids and just importantly the backs were better. Same last night with the pies. Mids and backs will still get plenty of the ball if they get beaten. Forwards have no hope if the mids and backs get beaten.

Last edited:
I’ve watched both games and the tigers mids used the ball much better than Carlton so forgetting stats and just watching the game then the tigers mids and just importantly the backs were better. Same last night with the pies. Mids and backs will still get plenty of the ball if they get beaten. Forwards have no hope if the mids and backs get beaten.
Yep - you've got it - that's my point - its more than just about the mids.

The inclusion of Howard at FB, Clark and Long at HB, the return of Robbo make our defence so much better in so many ways and are as important as the inclusion of the likes of Hill and Jones to our midfield. Just as the inclusion of Ryder/Marshall and King to the forward line will also improve us.

Spread of quality across the field - not just some stars in the midfield (hello Geelong!!!!)

Yep - you've got it - that's my point - its more than just about the mids.

The inclusion of Howard at FB, Clark and Long at HB, the return of Robbo make our defence so much better in so many ways and are as important as the inclusion of the likes of Hill and Jones to our midfield. Just as the inclusion of Ryder/Marshall and King to the forward line will also improve us.

Spread of quality across the field - not just some stars in the midfield (hello Geelong!!!!)
I think you take things to literally. Obviously it’s not just mids. And I agree our backs are better but I completely doubt the forward line is better. Unlike you I think it’s clearly worse however because the mids and backs are better it will help a weaker forward line. And Geelong did lead the eventual premiers by 3 or 4 goals at half time in the prelim last year. If only we were that poor

Feels like it came down to Battle v Kent for the last spot.

Howard on Brown is a lock. Larkey is more of a lead up, mobile player so we will back in Wilkie/Robbo to run with him and the other to intercept?
North have a few smalls with quality so Paton, Long and Gears will need to be right on top of their game.

Feels like it came down to Battle v Kent for the last spot.

Howard on Brown is a lock. Larkey is more of a lead up, mobile player so we will back in Wilkie/Robbo to run with him and the other to intercept?
North have a few smalls with quality so Paton, Long and Gears will need to be right on top of their game.

You could also easily say Kent was a lock because playing battle up forwards really limits our small options when Lonie or another small needs a rest. I would have thought it was Battle or Paton but we all see things differently.

It feels like this is a quick dose of footy before a break. With that in mind, I don't see the point of worrying about selection. I'm just looking forward to seeing our new guys run around, and getting to watch the boys before the season is put on hold.

Hopefully it's a good game and competitive. The first two have been disappointing. It's weird but at this stage I don't really even care if we win, but maybe that changes once it's on.

Our side looks a lot quicker than last year. It seems like a strong side, but the mental side of the game will be vital aswell.

He is shocking below his knees - never seen an AFL player so fumbly. Also no good overhead. Would prefer Battle, or if they want pace, Hind.
Yep - looks like Kent is overrated by everyone except Richo and Ratts.

He pretty much averaged a goal a game and let himself down with some poor kicking by his previous standards. Fixes that and then scores around 1.2 goals a game and everyone will be more than happy with him.

Yep - looks like Kent is overrated by everyone except Richo and Ratts.

He pretty much averaged a goal a game and let himself down with some poor kicking by his previous standards. Fixes that and then scores around 1.2 goals a game and everyone will be more than happy with him.

Hope so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon long would be a lock for round 1 thoughts?
lSnjpur.gif

Just my 2 cents, but l think Battle missing is only about going with the team they think gives us the best chance.
There's gonna be a fair bit of publicity around Winx and a stonking win would do the members and sponsorships a good turn.
I'm not happy about it either, but irrespective of his talant, we realy realy realy need to win this one. Like, really!!

And just to play devil's advocate (so don't jump on me), but where's Battle goint to fit if Bing comes to StKilda??
I wouldn't go getting too attached to him until that little piece falls into place. And before anyone says CHB, you can always find another backman like weve done with our last 3 KPDs. Just say'n.

Battle might fit in the trade.

Bing anda second for Battle and a first

Based on Rd 1, Newnes and Bruce won't be missed this year.
Watching other games? Seems strange for someone who doesn’t care. I think we all knew newnes wouldn’t be a loss. Not sure one game decides if bruce won’t be. Based on that one game naughton is the worst tall forward inthe afl.

Watching other games? Seems strange for someone who doesn’t care. I think we all knew newnes wouldn’t be a loss. Not sure one game decides if bruce won’t be. Based on that one game naughton is the worst tall forward inthe afl.

Nah, watched a bit. Saw the stats. 12 touches and 6 touches. Big losses! 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back