Preview Round 1 v West Coast @ Mineral Resources Park - Saturday 30 January @ 4:40pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Melbourne one day, Perth the next.

So we go across country (and up about 10 degrees) to play West Coast in a warm Perth instead of Melbourne at a rainy Casey Fields.

How do you think we'll go as we mulligan the title defence? Who will shine? Will we win?

As the last 4 seasons have gone, it'll depend alot on the fitness/form of both Phillips and Randall
Marinoff had a down year too, Hatchard stepped it up. Hope to see Scheer back soon.

Jones developing, would like to see Ponter step up. There's a huge amount of improvement from young players and the returning injured to be bullish about this year.

Should win, West Coast’s only hope is to turn it into a real scrappy 3-5 goals each game and rely on the Crows having no legs in the last quarter, which isn’t an unreasonable gameplan given where they’re at in their development as a team and round 1 being a historically scrappy fixture. Dangers will be Eagle’s ruck Parris Laurie giving Dana Hooker a lot of first looks out of stoppages, that’s where their main strength is through clearances with Hooker, Emma Swanson and now former Bulldog Aisling McCarthy running through the midfield, they’ll need to stop those Eagles mids getting it to their speed on the outside.

Simple things get the Crows over the line, sort the forward line out and make sure not to get lots of numbers sucked into contests in the midfield.

Interested to see if SA girl Amber Ward gets a debut and how she goes, liked her as a player at North Adelaide and she really wanted the Crows to draft her.

Last edited:
Website-Lineup-1080x1080-.png

Five players were unavailable for selection including Chloe Scheer and Deni Varnhagen (both knees), however both players are set to be reintroduced to full training next week.

Rachelle Martin (slight stress reaction in shin) and Hannah Munyard (shoulder subluxation) weren’t risked for Round One but should be available for selection in Round Two.

Dayna Cox is rehabilitating a hamstring injury and is likely to miss the first month of the season.

Like the look of the team overall. Great spread of youth backing in players like Charlton, Gore, Newman and Button instead of choosing the easier more experienced route with Forth and Sedunary

Interesting to see the selection of Metcalfe and Biddell in key tall roles, as opposed to McKinnon or Gould

Shame about missing in my opinion 4 1st choice players with Scheer, Cox, Varnhagen and Munyard, was looking forward to see how Munyard would go playing back with her close mates.

Excited for Charlton and Woodland to get a go, they’ll play forward in the hope of reinvigorating that area of the ground.

Metcalfe over Gould and McKinnon is the worry especially the form she showed on return last year and makes little sense to me especially expecting her to shoulder basically all the ruck with a tiny bit of help from Biddell. Shows to me Clarke doesn’t have faith that the young rucks have developed enough, the match up against an athletic ruck in Parris Laurie is a big problem given Metcalfe wasn’t the most athletic even before her knee.

Considine lucky as hell as well as she was awful last year, must’ve looked competent enough in the practice match. Definitely would’ve gone Forth over her or even been desperate enough to look at Sedunary instead.

Shame about missing in my opinion 4 1st choice players with Scheer, Cox, Varnhagen and Munyard, was looking forward to see how Munyard would go playing back with her close mates.

Excited for Charlton and Woodland to get a go, they’ll play forward in the hope of reinvigorating that area of the ground.

Metcalfe over Gould and McKinnon is the worry especially the form she showed on return last year and makes little sense to me especially expecting her to shoulder basically all the ruck with a tiny bit of help from Biddell. Shows to me Clarke doesn’t have faith that the young rucks have developed enough, the match up against an athletic ruck in Parris Laurie is a big problem given Metcalfe wasn’t the most athletic even before her knee.

Considine lucky as hell as well as she was awful last year, must’ve looked competent enough in the practice match. Definitely would’ve gone Forth over her or even been desperate enough to look at Sedunary instead.

Judging by her social media posts, Considine put a heap of work into fitness and preparation. Looks in far better shape so hopefully that will transfer over to the field

Judging by her social media posts, Considine put a heap of work into fitness and preparation. Looks in far better shape so hopefully that will transfer over to the field
Improving her fitness has no impact if her lack of adaptability or inability to know where her opponent is or where the fall of the ball is going doesn’t improve, they were playing one down on field last season when she was on ground. Still annoys me she got a spot on the list over a local SA player when local players have improved so much and have gone past a player like her. Irish recruits are good when they add something unique to the team that the team doesn’t have like a Staunton & Bonner (GWS) or McCarthy (previously WB) and Rowe (Coll) Considine provides nothing unique to the Crows, just wasting development time with her now.

Stevie-Lee Thompson also needs a big opening game, looks like she’ll play a bit more up the ground on a Wing with Jones to try to provide a bit more outside run in Varnhagen and Munyard’s absence, probably still has the ability against a inexperienced team like West Coast to expose them in some areas that better teams shut her down in last season.

Is Randall actually going to play forward, or are they just playing funny buggers with the team list?
Yeah all over the shop with the team selection in that graphic, suspect she actually will run down from defence and hang around in the forward 50 at some stages, they actually named 2 different teams, that one on the AFC site & this other one on the AFLW site

33-A6-F7-C5-8409-4-A9-F-8-AE2-D9-B84-F26-EFE9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah all over the shop with the team selection in that graphic, suspect she actually will run down from defence and hang around in the forward 50 at some stages, they actually named 2 different teams, that one on the AFC site & this other one on the AFLW site

33-A6-F7-C5-8409-4-A9-F-8-AE2-D9-B84-F26-EFE9.jpg
Now that team looks better. Swap Ponter and Ebony though

Thanks but I unsubscribed last year
I am able to see the other games in my 7 App will try again thru Telstra App

Pretty sure you can watch it on AFL Womens website. Just click on the match centre for the game and a video stream should pop up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back