Preview Round 1 v West Coast @ Mineral Resources Park - Saturday 30 January @ 4:40pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

on Marinoff, is she still not playing the level below throughout winter? Heard that last year which I thought odd. Playing footy makes you better at playing footy. Marinoff seems to think differently.

I'm not sure about the 2020 season. I know that she didn't prior to the 2019 season, the rationale being that she had played footy non-stop for several years and her body was beat up at the time. It seemed to pay dividends since she had a great 2019 season, not sure if she continued it beyond that.

Clarke is a joke of a coach. Our flags are built upon having both Randall and Phillips playing full seasons fit and well. The AFP chick no different. No Randall/Phillips, no crows. It’s that simple. Where was his great coaching last year?

Randall and Phillips have contributed enormously, no doubt about that, but this is too simplistic of an analysis. If we're happy to pot a coach when the team underperforms, we should be willing to give them credit when they overperform, and in the second half of that 2019 season we were unbelievable. Clarke has also made a bunch of positional moves in his time and most of them have worked out well.

2021 and beyond will determine whether Clarke just struck lightning in his first season, or if he has something more than that.

Goddard is a slightly different story. Clearly limited as a coach, but she offered exactly what we needed in the first ever season of AFLW with our team split across two states. I'm glad that we went our separate ways after 2018 but will always be grateful to her for 2017. In 2019, we were clearly the best side and deserved to win the flag. In 2017, we were the second-best, or arguably even the third-best side in an eight team comp. To win a flag from that position was a credit to her.

I'm not sure about the 2020 season. I know that she didn't prior to the 2019 season, the rationale being that she had played footy non-stop for several years and her body was beat up at the time. It seemed to pay dividends since she had a great 2019 season, not sure if she continued it beyond that.

Randall and Phillips have contributed enormously, no doubt about that, but this is too simplistic of an analysis. If we're happy to pot a coach when the team underperforms, we should be willing to give them credit when they overperform, and in the second half of that 2019 season we were unbelievable. Clarke has also made a bunch of positional moves in his time and most of them have worked out well.

2021 and beyond will determine whether Clarke just struck lightning in his first season, or if he has something more than that.

Goddard is a slightly different story. Clearly limited as a coach, but she offered exactly what we needed in the first ever season of AFLW with our team split across two states. I'm glad that we went our separate ways after 2018 but will always be grateful to her for 2017. In 2019, we were clearly the best side and deserved to win the flag. In 2017, we were the second-best, or arguably even the third-best side in an eight team comp. To win a flag from that position was a credit to her.
Marinoff has played for Glenelg the last 2 seasons.

Clarke is a joke of a coach. Our flags are built upon having both Randall and Phillips playing full seasons fit and well. The AFP chick no different. No Randall/Phillips, no crows. It’s that simple. Where was his great coaching last year?
Getting the ball into the hands of your best users is smart coaching. As the skill levels increase we won't need to rely on those two as much. All teams need their best players playing well. Even Richmond relies on Dusty to win games.

Finally got the chance to watch the full game early this morning. Looking at the different areas on the ground.

Defence

A year without Randall in defence has probably allowed for her to be able to now play up the ground with Sarah Allan’s improved off opponent play, but still some issues with the one pace nature of that defence. Gore was put down there in the first half to provide a bit more speed but the likes of Thompson and Ponter maybe should see time down there as well as it can really look slow down there with Whiteley, Foley, Rajcic and Newman not fleet of foot and were exposed in that area, especially in the 2nd quarter.

Midfield

Still lacking a run and burst player in the middle of the ground, Chelsea provided a little bit of it in the 2nd & 3rd quarters and the team looked better, Marinoff and Hatchard both ball hunting still didn’t work perfectly together with Hatchard not having the freedom around the packs that she likes and was down in that 1st half, so there’s improvement to be made there. Against more seasoned teams the lack of run in that midfield will eventually be exposed, the Varnhagen and Munyard inclusions are desperately needed for this reason alone.

Ruck

Metcalfe pleasantly surprised me and played one of her best games in Crows colours, she used her extra 7cm over the Eagles ruck well, and really took on the game with some good fend offs. Looked a totally different player compared to the one post knee last season and the one during her poor 2018 season.

Forwards

Still not confident in the forward line targets or inside 50 process, was pleased Woodland got 2 goals but she has a lot to work on as against better defenders her movement and ground ball efforts will be exposed more. While the pressure & ability to lock it in the forward line was immense the delivery into 50 was again abysmal, they were just kicking in hope most of the time where the Eagles had flooded with some lucky free kicks and fumbles providing most goals. A fortuitous rush kick to Jones in the 3rd and Phillips’ chip kick to Considine in the last were the only real hit-ups of targets.

They need to find a way to get Ponter more involved, thought when Hatchard went off at 3qtr time Ponter should’ve been the one moved into the middle not Gore, she’s too talented not to get her hands on the ball more than 10 times, either they use her and kick to her more often as a target up forward or she plays somewhere else on the ground.

Around the ground

Thought the pressure around the ground was brilliant for most of the game with Hannah Button leading the way with 13 tackles on return, younger players like Jones, Charlton and Gore brought a lot of tackling pressure to. In a game where they were clearly outmatched with West Coast speed especially in the 1st half those girls ability to stop a lot of Eagles free flowing run was important and allowed the lot more seasoned class to take advantage of an inexperienced team in trying conditions.

on Marinoff, is she still not playing the level below throughout winter? Heard that last year which I thought odd. Playing footy makes you better at playing footy. Marinoff seems to think differently.
Marinoff has played for Glenelg the last 2 seasons.

Well 1 game in 2019 and 2 games in 2020 for Glenelg.

S’pose you can include the 5 games for NT Thunder in 2018 and 1 in 2019 as well.

So if you’re making a correlation her best season in 2019 was off the back of her 5 games in the VFL the previous off-season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Her ball drop a least looks a little better this season

Well 1 game in 2019 and 2 games in 2020 for Glenelg.

S’pose you can include the 5 games for NT Thunder in 2018 and 1 in 2019 as well.

So if you’re making a correlation her best season in 2019 was off the back of her 5 games in the VFL the previous off-season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Her ball drop a least looks a little better this season
I noticed that, and it's a tricky thing to change for someone who's been playing footy for 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cos he's been around forever and I don't really think our rucks have been that great under his tutelage.
The ruck position has been one of our best assets for the entirety of his tutelage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back