Review Round 17 vs Greater Western Sydney @ Mars Stadium (11.07.2021 @ 12:40pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Lachie Weller and likely no Zac Smith! That's pretty surprising, but I think the right call given how low in form both of them were.

Coaches reading BigFooty, I wonder?
Sharp played quite well so happy enough for him to stay in over Lachie this week.

Who you reckon on the bench?
Greenwood, Markov, Sexton, Fiorini - sub Atkins?

I saw Caleb Graham (in)and my blood froze.Is Collo's leg fine?

We do have to find a way for Fiorini and Greenwood to play in the guts at the same time though. Maybe them and Touk. Swallow playing more forward. Rowell rotating in off somewhere. If we can unlock them all playing in the same side and well then it will make us so much more competitive.

The obvious thought of many was to bring Weller and Greenwood straight back in. The last 3 games they played where we were smashed and they were poor in my opinion . Greenwood averaged 16 disposals. Tackles were good again, but Brodie and Fiorini would be automatic dropped on those numbers. Fiorini while 25 touches last week, with poor disposal likely to be the scapegoat again.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The obvious thought of many was to bring Weller and Greenwood straight back in. The last 3 games they played where we were smashed and they were poor in my opinion . Greenwood averaged 16 disposals. Tackles were good again, but Brodie and Fiorini would be automatic dropped on those numbers. Fiorini while 25 touches last week, with poor disposal likely to be the scapegoat again.

Greenwood is leading the tackles in the AFL and averages nearly 7 clearances a game, he should no way be dropped. Weller however, has been poor and hope he can find some form in the 2's coming back from his hammy. Fiorini had 25 touches last week, but a DE of 56% so he nearly turned it over half the time. Fiorini had an alright game but it wasn't a run away success.

The City of Ballarat are advertising free entry for kids on Sunday which may entice many along considering that it's the last day of school holidays.

Fairly sure that is every Sunday AFL game. Not that I have ever abused this and just ordered kids tickets to games featuring two mutual teams . . . Consistently for years

For some strange reason, i have a feeling we may actually win this one.

GWS just beat Melbourne (massive win), but they also drew to North and lost to Hawthorn.

Now this game has been moved to Ballarat, and the conditions will be very similiar (wind & temp)

GWS are missing Jeremy Cameron now so we don't have to worry about him kicking 10, their midfield is very good. Their defence is solid but very young. Sean Lemmens should be able to take Toby Greene. Maybe a boost from Stephen Cognilo.

Last year we played GWS, we both played pretty horrible but had chances to win, definitely better than previous years where we got smashed by 50+

Surely with our win last week the boys finally have some confidence and belief again. Hugh Greenwood & Lachie Weller coming back in will both be very hungry, just need some support up top for Ben King. We need to find a way to add GOALS
Rory Lobb is gettable by the sounds of it.

I saw Caleb Graham (in)and my blood froze.Is Collo's leg fine?

You reckon Greenwood has been poor?
I admittedly onnly saw about 6 quarters of round 13-15 but

north Melbourne:
17 touches (14 contested) when we got beaten at contested possessions. Only 1 turnover. 11 tackles. Saw him kick a goal and then almost another as we were making a late run at it. Also had a goal assist

port
16 touches (10 contested), 14 tackles including 5 inside 50 tackles, game high 29 pressure acts. Another goal assist.

freo
16 touches, 15 were effective, 2 goal assists and 6 score involvements (3rd highes for suns), 10 tackles, game high 29 pressure acts.

AFL player ratings may be a bit dubious but he’s actually the 13th ranked player in the whole league for this metric in 2021 and was in our top 3 each of those 3 games.

he leads the team in goal assists across the season and has kicked the most goals of our midfield. Obviously great in tight with his tackles and pressure.

he is an onfield leader too.

Yeah I would love him to get 20 rather than 16 touches in a game. I also worry if an opposition mid exploits him on the spread a bit. But clearly I think the positives outweigh the negatives for Hugh in the team.

Fairly sure that is every Sunday AFL game. Not that I have ever abused this and just ordered kids tickets to games featuring two mutual teams . . . Consistently for years
Do we want to talk about getting into the Asian Cup Final like this?

De Boer back in for GWS this week and you would have to think they will try a hard tag on Miller. Be interesting to see how it plays out because if they can limit his influence, they will probably win.

Also Jesse Hogan back in for them this week so really hope Collins gets up for this game....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Boer back in for GWS this week and you would have to think they will try a hard tag on Miller. Be interesting to see how it plays out because if they can limit his influence, they will probably win.

Also Jesse Hogan back in for them this week so really hope Collins gets up for this game....

Thing with touk is he's a great team player and will go with giants best mid and make a 2 on 1. Big chance for Rowell to step up after a few games of fitness and confidence.

Anyone able to post a report?

Super great to hear Collins was good though.
I only got there late. Boys looked really good though.
Atkins & McPherson likely to miss judging on them leaving the track with VFL group.
Powell strapped knee and didn’t participate in all drills. Did join in match practice though so should be ok too.

Certainly all of the local football clubs and Ballarat's media are advertising it via their websites, Facebook and Twitter as "a perfect day out for the family", so there may well be a lot of kids there on Sunday. We'll see.

For the uninitiated with football in Ballarat, the Council puts on free shuttle buses from the city's railway station to and from the stadium on AFL games.

Last edited:
Only one ruckman though is good. Burgess and Day need to get on their bikes when they are rucking against Mumford.
Burgess should find space forward like he did to set up that goal for king last week

Certainly all of the local football clubs a d Ballarat's media are advertising it via their websites, Facebook and Twitter as "a perfect day out for the family", so there may well be a lot of kids there on Sunday. We'll see.

For the uninitiated with football in Ballarat, the Council puts on free shuttle buses from the city's railway station to and from the stadium on AFL games.

d7279f0980771f22bf792c39735f028b.jpg

1:17 in! Stuart Dew talks team selection (goldcoastfc.com.au)

Dewy talks about how loud we were last week - The coaches box is meant to be soundproof however, Dew said he and the coaching staff could hear us inside the box.

Dew has issued a call out to all VIC fans who attended the game last Thursday to ensure we all make it to the game on Sunday.

VIC SUNS Members and Fans do your best to make it to the game! If you are on the fence and still deciding on whether or not you want to come make sure you do! We need to replicate our passion from last week and will our boys over the line!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back