Review Round 17 vs Greater Western Sydney @ Mars Stadium (11.07.2021 @ 12:40pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club isnā€™t as upset about losing this one, we have a contract with Darwin and are trying to build something there.
They are still quite bitter about the hawthorn game. The AFL screwed the pooch on that one. Had they got hawthorn to get out of Victoria and go to Queensland on the day of announcement the game could have happened in Queensland or Darwin, they let hawthorn dictate terms in doing so, had to be relocated to Sydney.
Weā€™ve seen how many teams have left their home state immediately, yet hawks were able to push it out till the next day, by the borders were closed.
Had that game gone ahead in Darwin (as it could have) we wouldnā€™t have to be relocating the Melbourne game there.

I feel a bit ripped off. Memberships are pretty expensive and weā€™ve now been short changed a bit.
Not hugely ripped off but still itā€™s a tad disappointing.
I would have thought losing a home game to Melbourne that was never supposed to be played there would be more reason to feel ripped off than playing a game in Darwin that we were always contracted to do anyway. We knew before the season started that one of our home games this year would be played in Darwin. We didn't know one of our home games this year would be played in Melbourne.

On topic. Pretty interesting that Dew and co have faith in Burgess to ruck when Zac Smith is available. It'll be tough but I'm hopeful of a good performance from Burger against Mumford.

On topic. Pretty interesting that Dew and co have faith in Burgess to ruck when Zac Smith is available. It'll be tough but I'm hopeful of a good performance from Burger against Mumford.
Smith gets about 5 hitouts to advantage a match
That's just wasting space because he literally does nothing else
Burgo will be the same witches hat at the centre bounce but will provide much more around the ground

I would have thought losing a home game to Melbourne that was never supposed to be played there would be more reason to feel ripped off than playing a game in Darwin that we were always contracted to do anyway. We knew before the season started that one of our home games this year would be played in Darwin. We didn't know one of our home games this year would be played in Melbourne.

The way Leon Cameron was talking mid week i thought Mummy would be rested.

Burgo is a terrific player. Big heart, smart guy.
I donā€™t understand why Iā€™m so alone in being a fan.
His attack has me as a fan, but his inability to convert simple, 5 - 15m drop punts or snaps for goal makes me want him out of the side. Theres only so many times I can watch him fly for a grab, bring it down, and then spray the simplest shot and waste a great passage of play.

lol we are losing our Rd 19 home match to Darwin šŸ‘Ž. Why after the Richmond game got taken away are they moving another home game interstateā€¦
We empathise your pain, our Victorian clubs all had to cede well over half of their season to Queensland last year, so we do understand. Your players and supporters will be warmly welcomed in Ballarat. :thumbsupv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon Greenwood has been poor?
I admittedly onnly saw about 6 quarters of round 13-15 but

north Melbourne:
17 touches (14 contested) when we got beaten at contested possessions. Only 1 turnover. 11 tackles. Saw him kick a goal and then almost another as we were making a late run at it. Also had a goal assist

port
16 touches (10 contested), 14 tackles including 5 inside 50 tackles, game high 29 pressure acts. Another goal assist.

freo
16 touches, 15 were effective, 2 goal assists and 6 score involvements (3rd highes for suns), 10 tackles, game high 29 pressure acts.

AFL player ratings may be a bit dubious but heā€™s actually the 13th ranked player in the whole league for this metric in 2021 and was in our top 3 each of those 3 games.

he leads the team in goal assists across the season and has kicked the most goals of our midfield. Obviously great in tight with his tackles and pressure.

he is an onfield leader too.

Yeah I would love him to get 20 rather than 16 touches in a game. I also worry if an opposition mid exploits him on the spread a bit. But clearly I think the positives outweigh the negatives for Hugh in the team.

Sorry been away for a few days. My expectations with Greenwood is based off last year great year. So while still one of our better players for the year I still question why with Touk having such a great year - why are we 15th in the league for clearances. We won them last week but Tigers are actually ranked last. Yes we are ranked 6th in tackles thus have been good defensively. Have absolute no issues Greenwood is a terrific leader for the group and easy in the best 22, just query do we focus so heavily on defence mindset in the middle. My other point was I expected Fiorini to be dropped, and surprised to see him there. Side note : we are last for goal assists.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry been away for a few days. My expectations with Greenwood is based off last year great year. So while still one of our better players for the year I still question why with Touk having such a great year - why are we 15th in the league for clearances. We won them last week but Tigers are actually ranked last. Yes we are ranked 6th in tackles thus have been good defensively. Have absolute no issues Greenwood is a terrific leader for the group and easy in the best 22, just query do we focus so heavily on defence mindset in the middle. My other point was I expected Fiorini to be dropped, and surprised to see him there. Side note : we are last for goal assists.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are so low in clearances because Witta isn't out there and we are using a subpar ruck in Smith and makeshift rucks in Day and Burga. Greenwood is 9th in the league for average clearances, he is having a great year and is a driving force in any sort of strength around the coalface

My pass mark at the start of the year was 8 wins, and I haven't changed from that. GWS are flakey and have shown they have a poor game in them. If we can bring that physicality we saw last week against the Tigers and kick a little straighter we are in with a massive shout.

Burgo is a terrific player. Big heart, smart guy.
I donā€™t understand why Iā€™m so alone in being a fan.
You can't deny he plays hard, he plays well defensively and absolutely a better option than Smith but his inability to convert on the scoreboard is very frustrating, i cringe when i see him or Sam Day get a set shot because they are almost guaranteed to miss, which shouldn't be the case for players who play predominantly as forwards.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like there might be some people missing the start of the game. This traffic is shocking not moving one bit...

Edit: there has been a three way collision on the Western Fwy sadly. Down to one row..

I caught the train much easier already here
Unfortunately for me I had to drive as I was coaching junior footy this morning and would not have gotten to Ballarat in time after my game this morning if I got train Seeing it takes an hour for me to get into the city

IMG_9292.JPG

GWS game plan leaked, surely we canā€™t lose from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back