Review Round 18: Dees v the Flat-Track Bullies: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good - Effort, intensity, tackling and pressure, one of the best games we have played this year easily.
Dawes... took a contested mark and goaled, can't remember ever seeing him do that for the demons.

Bad - conversion rate mostly covered above by everyone

Fugly - Vinces 50m against and commentator (Dermie?) saying it was a poor effort by Bernie giving away the 50m
I literally spit beer everywhere yelling at that decision and how bad it was.

Tmac - If he's playing for a contract increase he can GAGF. His second half of the year is as bad as last year. Absolute garbage kicks cost us at least 3 goals. O Mac likewise... but given he has played just 13 games I can cut him a bit more slack but F** me neither can hit a barn 20 meters away.

Luke Shuey... pathetic diving maggot

Feels like the North game (without the shocking first q/comeback).

Should have won, didn't. To be honest it's not that bad, especially at this time of year. Doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things; winning culture is good culture but losing by a goal is hardly toxic.

Really couldn't fault the effort, pressure and tackling. We were ferocious all day. But * me dead some of the execution.....

Those missed opportunities in the 3rd killed us. Yes, we had way more I50's but the delivery forward was pretty bloody horrible. Those set shots in the 3rd were golden oppourtunities to put a gap in the game and we pissed them away.

TMac - It's already been said but the kicking and decision making is genuinely alarming.

Brayshaw - Butchered it a bit today. I know he's coming back after quite a while out but geez, there's a bit of work to do.

Oh and that Vince 50m penalty - utterly shithouse decision.

Shuey: 6 frees
Vince: 5 frees - Against
Gawn: 4 Frees - Against

When does Gawn give away frees like that? Just because you are stronger & can't be pushed out of the way or can control you opponents position, doesn't mean its a free against.

I have seen many games in the west were the crowd clearly influences the umpire but never one like today. The crowd literally paid the free against Tyson for deliberate.
It's amazing they are the only crowd they listen to, because every other crowd at every game I've been to around the country scream just as loud for frees

Good:
- Our midfield utterly dominated their highly rated midfield. One centre bounce play where Gawn tapped behind him to Viney who handballed to Jones was glorious. I thought we really had consistently really good system through the middle all game.
- Speaking of Nathan Jones, I thought he was excellent. Reckon his year has been ordinary by his standard but he was back near his best today.
- Our defence and general all around pressure was excellent. Massive slabs of time, they couldn't even get into their half of the ground.
- Angry Gawn.

Bad:
- Our failure to finish off good work. Horrendous missed shots at goal and constantly failing to hit targets going forward with really poor disposal and decision making after good midfield play wasted an immeasurable amount of opportunities to win.

Fugly
- Snatching a defeat from the jaws of a 6 goal win. The dominance of the statistics matches the impression of the eyeball test. How we could be so much better at every aspect of the game but on the scoreboard is really unfathomable. I've been angry and frustrated after plenty of games this year but that's probably the most hollow and disappointed I've felt after a game this season. So much went right that we should've had our most impressive victory of the year and yet we're suffering through another weekend on the wrong end of the score. It sucks.

Good:
- Our midfield utterly dominated their highly rated midfield. One centre bounce play where Gawn tapped behind him to Viney who handballed to Jones was glorious. I thought we really had consistently really good system through the middle all game.
- Speaking of Nathan Jones, I thought he was excellent. Reckon his year has been ordinary by his standard but he was back near his best today.
- Our defence and general all around pressure was excellent. Massive slabs of time, they couldn't even get into their half of the ground.
- Angry Gawn.

Bad:
- Our failure to finish off good work. Horrendous missed shots at goal and constantly failing to hit targets going forward with really poor disposal and decision making after good midfield play wasted an immeasurable amount of opportunities to win.

Fugly
- Snatching a defeat from the jaws of a 6 goal win. The dominance of the statistics matches the impression of the eyeball test. How we could be so much better at every aspect of the game but on the scoreboard is really unfathomable. I've been angry and frustrated after plenty of games this year but that's probably the most hollow and disappointed I've felt after a game this season. So much went right that we should've had our most impressive victory of the year and yet we're suffering through another weekend on the wrong end of the score. It sucks.
Since when? Eagles would easily be the best team in the league with a good midfield. Excellent defense and attack. Midfield is horrible.

It's amazing they are the only crowd they listen to, because every other crowd at every game I've been to around the country scream just as loud for frees
Of course your shitty stadium at capacity is going to be louder than a half full MCG, are you stupid?

Not to mention the fact that the good people of Perth have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in their cultural wasteland to cheer about aside from a football match...

Feels like the North game (without the shocking first q/comeback).

Should have won, didn't. To be honest it's not that bad, especially at this time of year. Doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things; winning culture is good culture but losing by a goal is hardly toxic.
Feels worse than the North game. That was a contest at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About as pleased as you can be from a loss. They'll learn.

We've got something special growing here. You can see it. I know there's mistakes. I know we throw our hands up in despair. But, of today's 22, literally half have debuted for the MFC in the last 2 seasons. It really is a case of let them learn each other now. We'll play finals next year.

Ah phooey - disappointed obviously but have slept on it and feel better. Should have won clearly, but more games together type experience fixes that. Also did LOL that Topkent did his usual predict the worst (100 point loss this time) in the hope of creating an air of wiser and more measured then any other poster. So we nearly win, and he's still off napalming away :D

I didn't see much of the game, I did see the third quarter. They call the third quarter the premiership quarter for a reason, we really should of put west coast to the sword in the 3rd. Watching us dominate and get behind after behind was excruciating. When they had momentum late in the the third they scored. Probably should of had a 3 goal buffer at least going into the 4th.

Good:
- Angry Gawn.

Bad:

Fugly

Agree with everyone you say. Just to add a couple of others;

Prettacca best game
Kent was good again
Stretch good again, really surprising us all with his development
I thought brayshaw looked more up to the speed of play

We just seemed to be miss some half opportunities. Like if one more handball or kick had of hit its target we were out.

I think a lot of the good in this game is being overshadowed by the fact we should of won and last weeks effort was so poor.

Can Tmac, Wagner and Omac play kick to kick all pre season

I thought Sam Frost was pretty good yesterday. He's an asset when he runs off half-back, fairly quick for a big guy.

15 touches at 100% DE, 3 marks, 4 tackles. Numerically not much to write home about but still.
Frost was very good agreed. Was also really pleased with Matt Jones, Gus (his intensity in the second quarter around the contest was fierce), ANB did enough, as I thought did Stretch. Kent good but * me should have shepherded Doms goal through in the second instead of going for an unlikely mark.

And jones was fantastic. Not sure why someone was ripping into him earlier in the thread.

The back line was pretty sloppy and the forwards were fairly dysfunctional. Really don't like Dawes in the team and disagree with people who claim he's good for our structure.

I doubt any team in history has ever lost having had that many more inside 50s
We absolutely stuffed that up ourselves
Mate do you even remember that game against Essendon in 2014?

I thought Sam Frost was pretty good yesterday. He's an asset when he runs off half-back, fairly quick for a big guy.

15 touches at 100% DE, 3 marks, 4 tackles. Numerically not much to write home about but still.
I'd have him in our best back 6. I like the speed and pressure he brings for a big guy. And kicking is far from the worst but seems to run and carry and handball as a first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back