Review Round 18: Dees v the Flat-Track Bullies: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, if you don't think we can manufacture a loss out of anything I'm not sure where you've been the last...forever.
#MFCSS

Tmac can **** right off .. his kicking directly cost us so many times
His kicking and decision making hasn't improved at all and he's player 100 games now
I thought he was a future AA when he first started but how ******* wrong I was
He can **** off to Sydney for all I care he's a slightly quicker Matthew Warnock

Yep, ive had a gutfull, hoping for a bidding war, if we can swindle a first round pick out of someone (since we dont have one) he can * right off.

Straight swap for Hurley pls, pretty sure Tom wants to go to Essendon, doesnt he? :drunk:

Seriously though, if Sydney and GWS really want him, Zak Jones and Sydney first rounder?

They have enough academy bullshit, always looking to trade out picks.

Got to see us live for the first time this year yesterday.
Good: Best tackling performance I've seen from us in a long time.
Only 1 more season of having to play at that shithole of a stadium.
While we should of won being competitive in Perth is something we haven't been for years

Bad: Seeing how easy it is for opposition teams to score on us when we turn the ball over when attacking. We were actually lucky yesterday that the Eagles skill level was also hopeless as there were a few occasions they had guys standing all alone in forward 50 .

Fugly: Tom McDonald's kicking
Forward 50 entries in the last quarter. Kept going down the line to horribly outnumbered situations.

So frustrating to watch us dominate and lose but It's a game we can learn from . We're on the right track.

I agree a first and a player but no one on here would even consider Zak Jones if he wasn't Nathans brother.

I rate Zak but i get your point, hes not just a name to me though, ive been watching him and he was playing very well for a month or so before he rolled his ankle last week.

I rate Zak but i get your point, hes not just a name to me though, ive been watching him and he was playing very well for a month or so before he rolled his ankle last week.

He does some good things but isn't a good kick, and we have enough dud kicks in the side.

Dream scenario if TMac goes is we trade the pick we get along with a future pick for Hurley.

He does some good things but isn't a good kick, and we have enough dud kicks in the side.

Dream scenario if TMac goes is we trade the pick we get along with a future pick for Hurley.

I remember when Biff started a thread about how Nathan Jones cant kick either. :tearsofjoy:

I dont see him as any worse kick than Petracca. Like Petracca though, i like what Zak is made of.

I remember when Biff started a thread about how Nathan Jones cant kick either. :tearsofjoy:

I dont see him as any worse kick than Petracca. Like Petracca though, i like what Zak is made of.

Trac gets obvious penetration in his kicking, just needs to play more at AFL level.

You've played footy before mate, you should know that someone turning around their skills at AFL level is very rare.

Trac gets obvious penetration in his kicking, just needs to play more at AFL level.

You've played footy before mate, you should know that someone turning around their skills at AFL level is very rare.

Im not saying he will ever be a great kick, Nathan still isnt, but its acceptable. Zak's as hard as a cats head, attacks the ball in the air and on the ground, its like saying we have enough Jack Viney's. Sure he's no great kick, never will be, but give me a team who want to the ball as much as him any day. Can never have enough guys who really want the ball and want to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not saying he will ever be a great kick, Nathan still isnt, but its acceptable. Zak's as hard as a cats head, attacks the ball in the air and on the ground, its like saying we have enough Jack Viney's. Sure he's no great kick, never will be, but give me a team who want to the ball as much as him any day. Can never have enough guys who really want the ball and want to win.

Agree on the second point, just would like to see what else Sydney offer.

Frost is our best KPD by a mile (with Dunn seemingly done). Unfathomable that he was stuck in the forward line early this year
It's great we finally figured out he plays in the backline

Also #DunnOrRiot

Agree on the second point, just would like to see what else Sydney offer.

I prefer it if he went to GWS, plenty id like to get my hands on there, plus they have a shitload of picks to on trade.

When assessing performances, I tend to look at three factors:
Did our system/matchups/style of play give us the best opportunity to win?
Where there any technical issues that affected our ability to execute our game plan?
Did we have the game sense/decision making processes to capitalise on the opportunities made available?

It's important to note that technical skill and "game" skill are different things.

I guess the answers from this game might look like this:
Defensively we were pretty well structured and, for the best part, controlled the space on the ground. Not a perfect performance, but definitely a pass mark. Offensively we looked good in open play, but lacked the ability to manufacture a goal against a well structured defense. Overall a positive.

On the technique front we were vastly improved from previous seasons, but the conditions put a premium on skill execution. Did we have consistent technical deficiencies that cost us the game? Probably not. There were some clangers, but I doubt that we were decisively worse than the Eagles on this front.

Our decision making was likely the decisive factor, in my opinion. Tommy Mac is a serial offender here (as most have noted. Repeatedly.), the phrase I often seem to use with him is "His reach exceeds his grasp". Dean Kent probably has some scope for improvement here, his natural inclination is to score goals (not the wrong idea), but he needs to temper that when the situation isn't ideal. Furthermore, a decision making error in the forward fifty is less obviously damaging than in the back half. We were in a lot of good positions and the choices we made were either wasteful or put us directly under pressure.

In contrast, that game sense is where Petracca really has come along. He is obviously a fantastic athlete, but there are lots of very good athletes in the AFL. When you look at someone like James Hird as a player, he was not a tremendous athlete but possessed outstanding game sense and made very good decisions. Truck is obviously not close on the mental front yet, but is a far superior athlete and probably a comparable technician.

So, are we doing anything to change our decision making skills? What are the players looking for to identify good and bad options?

Obviously a small sample to work from, but a lot of positives on the team front, with some concerning reoccurring individual issues.

Simon Godfrey really wanted the ball and wanted to win
Jordie McKenzie really wanted the ball and wanted to win
Tomas Bugg really wants the ball and wants to win

You can have a team full of them if you like. I'd prefer a team with some ability to use the ball - once they've got it 'cos they really want to win

Simon Godfrey really wanted the ball and wanted to win
Jordie McKenzie really wanted the ball and wanted to win
Tomas Bugg really wants the ball and wants to win

You can have a team full of them if you like. I'd prefer a team with some ability to use the ball - once they've got it 'cos they really want to win

You didnt just compare Zak Jones to Godfrey, McKenzie or Bugg did you?

Sure his kicking isnt elite but its nowhere near as bad as any of those three.

Fugly, all of it.
This one still hurts.
So so so disappointing.
Just should have won.
Had chances all game to be much further ahead but we kept them in it and let them believe they were always a chance.
All over them in every aspect of the game except the scoreboard.
The umpiring in the last was nothing short of a disgrace but we STILL should have won!

Umpiring was terrible but we never should have put ourselves in a position to lose it due to umpires

Good
- Gawn will be the AA ruckman this year.
- Tackling, pressure, our desperation to win the footy.
- Our young kids getting experience in close matches interstate. Even though we lost a game we dominated with another year or two experience we don't lose these types of games.

Bad
- TMac's kicking. Every week he costs us 1 or 2 goals from turnovers. I think it's time Roosy says TMac you don't kick anymore, you handball to someone running past who knows his limitations. Although I can see him handballing to an opposition player calling for the ball who then runs into an open goal.
- There always seems to be tiny little errors every game when we're attacking that costs us a chance of scoring and hands our opponents scoring opportunities on a platter. It's either the last handball not hitting a target or putting the next guy under pressure which turns it over when we should be having a ping at the goals.

Fugly
- Melbourne supporters saying they don't think we've improved this year. This has been my most exciting year as a supporter for a long time. Our percentage is over 100 and we can all see our young players developing into great players.
- I actually didn't think the umpires were terrible. A few of the 50/50 decisions went against us in the last quarter but to blame the umpires for the the loss is fugly.

Overall I'm not disappointed in the game. Actually I'm pleased with our performance and effort levels. If we turn up and put out those efforts for the rest of the year we will snag a few more wins. No more of the one qtr efforts like we saw last week against the Saints please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back