• Brodie Smith

• Elliott Himmelberg

• Patrick Parnell

• Lachlan Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With the exception of the 3rd quarter, just about every other Crows goal was answered by an immediate Richmond centre clearance, target hit and goal.

Our midfield doesn't know how to assert a momentary ascendancy and our backline are in full panic mode when ball come in quickly when numbers are even.
Do I need to point out - AGAIN - the differences between the two midfields in terms of experience and games played? It is not surprising that their midfield were on top for longer. It WAS, however, surprising that we gave them a run for their money in the third.

If all you want to do is parrot television personalities why post? People can just receive their opinions directly from them.

In all seriousness, our 'best' has looked better than we have since 2017.
Our worst is still bloody awful though that's the problem and the best isnt for long enough.

Do I need to point out - AGAIN - the differences between the two midfields in terms of experience and games played? It is not surprising that their midfield were on top for longer. It WAS, however, surprising that we gave them a run for their money in the third.
Do I need to point out - AGAIN - that run ons can be stopped.

By COACHES

In all seriousness, our 'best' has looked better than we have since 2017.
Our worst is still bloody awful though that's the problem and the best isnt for long enough.

No, it hasn't. In 2021 we beat serious contenders in Geelong and Melbourne.

This year we had one good quarter against an average Richmond team.

Do I need to point out - AGAIN - that run ons can be stopped.

By COACHES

All of that should be done during the week so it is likely an indictment on both. I am sure the team have strategies to go to when run ins occur - but they either aren’t executing it well or the strategies are no good.

Will be interesting to see if we can turn it around

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hallelujah

This is Sydney-speak.
We need more experience in the midfield... which should be Dawson himself.

He can be more influential than playing in a back pocket on a 2m forward/ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So our experienced players like Smith are playing well, we just need more of them to make up for the youngsters like Rachelle, Soligo, Fog and Max who are underperforming.
In all seriousness, we need our captain's experience in the middle of the park to help with instructions on how to defend... rather than in a back pocket!

Yes they should.. and quite possibly they are. We just don’t have the experience to make it click… yet.
The problem is we are getting worse, not better.

The guys who were showing positive signs at the end of 2021 have nearly all gone backwards since - Jones, McHenry, Butts, Schoenberg, Hamill, Thilthorpe, Berry, and then there's McAsey who lost all interest in being a professional footballer.

Some duds there but it's still too many players going backwards.

The lack of development should be a bigger concern than the results at this stage. The coaches constantly changing the structures and the gameplan would not be helping.

The problem is we are getting worse, not better.

The guys who were showing positive signs at the end of 2021 have nearly all gone backwards since - Jones, McHenry, Butts, Schoenberg, Hamill, Thilthorpe, Berry, and then there's McAsey who lost all interest in being a professional footballer.

Some duds there but it's still too many players going backwards.

The lack of development should be a bigger concern than the results at this stage. The coaches constantly changing the structures and the gameplan would not be helping.
That's the thing that sticks out for me also, so many youngsters come in and look good and by their 3rd year, they are going backwards

Ugly: When Himmelberg refused to leave his man in the square to contest and instead chose to just concede a goal kicked over his head rather than chance his direct opponent chalking up a score. Screamed “me first” not “team first”.

I’d drop him for that and while I’m at it I’d let the whole squad know why he’s playing reserves this week.

So our experienced players like Smith are playing well, we just need more of them to make up for the youngsters like Rachelle, Soligo, Fog and Max who are underperforming.
No. Smith is not playing well. Sloane was good week 1, struggled week 2, and clearly far from his best. Tex made some silly mistakes but was probably the best of the four of them. Laird, while he got a lot of touches, wasn’t as effective as he could have been. Also seemed off last week. So of our four experienced players, none are near their best, which is essentially leaving the kids to sink or swim and explains why we were unable to stem the tide.

Well yeah.

I stated an in game observation. I did not pass judgement on the midfield or backline on this. Hence, I did not really need to be reminded of the excuses, reasons, defense or contributory factors to this.

No. Smith is not playing well. Sloane was good week 1, struggled week 2, and clearly far from his best. Tex made some silly mistakes but was probably the best of the four of them. Laird, while he got a lot of touches, wasn’t as effective as he could have been. Also seemed off last week. So of our four experienced players, none are near their best, which is essentially leaving the kids to sink or swim and explains why we were unable to stem the tide.
Smith hasn't been the same since his last major concussion. He should retire because he doesn't need another concussion and he isn't helping us onfield. Sloane isn't over his knee. It's fairly obvious from the internal trial onwards. He can't run so I don't see the point in playing him. We looked better last year without him tbh. Tex is still capable and but his goal kicking has been slowly deteriorating over the last 12-18months. He isn't the guaranteed kick for goal he use to be. Laird is Laird. One of our best but doesn't have a lot of hurt factor unfortunately. Doedee for a experienced player by age has also been rather disappointing.

Last edited:
So more experience won’t necessarily fix it and it’s not on the kids

I’d drop him for that, and Smith and Schoenberg and Sloane, and while I’m at it I’d let the whole squad know why they're playing reserves this week.
Ftfy :sneaky:.

While each side has players with more and less experience, they hate hierarchies and favoritism based on games played and not actual performance.
Likewise, they respect a Coach who rewards performance and sends the underperforming back to the 2's for poor play, regardless of age, games played, or reputation.
Playing senior players because they are senior players is a lose-lose situation. They play badly, are not held accountable, and keep playing badly. The Crows continue to lose games and the young talent get discouraged.
Dropping them is win-win. It puts games into promising youth, even if the team loses (which it was doing, anyway) and if the dropped player/s pull their finger out, great, get'em back in the side playing better.

So more experience won’t necessarily fix it and it’s not on the kids
What? The statement Was that we have experience on every line so should be able to stop a run-on. My original response was to compare the two midfields and you can see why WE can Not yet compete consistently. We only have a handful of experience out there, and they aren’t playing particularly well in any case. we Are the second youngest team in the league. It will take us a while to get that balance that many of the teams above us have.

Back