Autopsy Round 22, 2021 | Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

He looked like he got hurt very early, in the game

He got tackled, and his leg buckled. Got up grimacing.

Seemed to soldier on, like a tough bastard.

I might be wrong.
Nope you're not.

It should go without saying that I want flags... But top 4 (I guess not so much these days) and finals are obviously pre-requisites for winning flags.

I've seen this story play out before. Battling team with some promising kids has a few morale building wins towards the end of the season or generally shows some decent form, the expectation and hype builds, only for them to remain battlers the next season.
For some it seems a foregone conclusion that wont happen because it's 'different' for us. Perhaps they are right, but I just think we still have a lot of work to do to get there.

It’s not going to be easy - of course. 17 other teams are trying to win the flag as well. However, undeniable signs are there that we have our house in order and we are building in a coherent manner. Our midfield could be anything. Our forward line is suddenly looking very promising. We need another young tall in the backline. Since R8, we’ve been one of the most consistent teams in the league. What happened before that and last year was horrible and won’t be forgotten for a long time. However, that’s firmly in the past now, hopefully.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, we have TWELVE first round draft picks in our best 22. Top end talent is not our issue.
But every team
Every year
Has a 1st round draft pick
We are North Melb
Lynch or May or Lever or Dangerfield do not come to our club
We don’t have Academies (ignore TT)
We don’t have endless free draft picks
We aren’t a virtual State team
We are a small club in Victoria
Like Fitzroy
Like South Melb
We are like the Sts and the Dogs and the Dogs have showed us up these last 5 yrs

it’s rather more complicated than draft picks but the comp is somewhat balanced because of the drafting and here we are
Happy or not Happy
Let’s make the best of it

A wooden spoon would be tough for a North kid to deal with but reading adults melting about it is astounding.

We have tried all the other options since 1999 and they have bitterly failed.

If this is the equalisation course we need to take then so be it.

For each of those 12 first round picks we have that are maturing there are the high picks leaving at the other end from across the league this year, next year and so in, that eventually those 12 plus this years lot become the list that is doing exceedingly well in 3-4 years time.

We all know this and there’s been glimpses this second half of the year that given time will become four quarters.

This game will only be remembered when Chom is discussing his first game (that North Media captured so well) at the peak or end of his career.

It's not the spoon itself Gaso, it's the celebration of it that is grinding my gears.
There's optimism that all our kids will make it and our team will become great, but there is no guarantee.
We've had 7 wins in our last 39 games and I'm ******* sick of it. I was 4 years old when we won our last flag so have only vague memories, and I don't want to turn into another Melbourne or St Kilda.

Was very conflicted like many coming into the game tonight about the merits of win and loss, and there hasn't been a game in my life that I've wanted to lose. In the end, as I knew it would as soon as the first ball was bounce I inevitably wanted Swan's blood. The win was what mattered.

Our first half was awful. Kick to the stomach really after all the ground we've made up in the last 2 months. We looked tired, seemingly lacked effort and both our skills and decision making were appalling. As others have noted, the North side from the first part of the year would have rolled over at that point and been smashed. The fact we came back to within 4 points, and if not for a criminal non-HTB decision in the last quarter probably would have had the momentum to win this game, well like all of us I was again reminded of why I've been so excited for the first time in years by the quality of our list.
Ok yeah, the half glass people here will say, how the hell can you say that when we finished 18th? Well sometimes you need to look past wins and losses.
Compare where we are now to the witches hats and bunch of broken footballers that we were at the end of 2020 when we were left with no coach, well you can see the the entire list has bought in and is excited about the future.

We'll trim the list some more over the off season, bring in the first ever no. 1 draft pick the club has ever had, and importantly we can have faith that more talent will be brought in via the draft and through the trade period.

I'm excited. I'm pissed off. Angry to finish 18th but realistic as to where we're at. Next week I'm absolutely confident we smash Adelaide and go into a well deserved break with more hope and excitement than we've had in years. Go Kangas!!!

A great fight back out scoring them 9 goals to 5 in the second half.
Ford has been impressive, knows where to be is averaging 6 marks a game that for a fwd is well above average. Big Charlie is my new Majak lol. Loved his intent and am sure he'll be putting on searing leads soon enough.
Also I thought our backline again stood up structurally I'm talking about.
Still probably 4/5 out there that I don't think will be best 22 for us soon enough.

Yes we finished last and it's no great surprise to me or should it be to anyone. Brown Higgins, Wood, Atley, Polec, Williams, Daw, Macmillan,Pittard, but yeah had we kept them we'd probably be 2 games outside the eight and I for one would be ropable.

The sad truth is that we, probably, would have finished last either way.

It should go without saying that I want flags... But top 4 (I guess not so much these days) and finals are obviously pre-requisites for winning flags.

I've seen this story play out before. Battling team with some promising kids has a few morale building wins towards the end of the season or generally shows some decent form, the expectation and hype builds, only for them to remain battlers the next season.
For some it seems a foregone conclusion that wont happen because it's 'different' for us. Perhaps they are right, but I just think we still have a lot of work to do to get there.

Hang on. I am not expecting things to just click next year. Due to the age profile of our genuine talent on our list as well as the cliff approaching of our senior players, that is very unrealistic. The last 3 losses should be a clear reminder to all supporters that we still have a way to go.

The undeniable positive truths from my perspective are though:
- We have the most talented young group we’ve have since the 90s,
- We have a coach who is already my favourite since the 90s (albeit early days),
- The club has clear direction, which it’s lacked since the 90s.

A lot still has to go right, time & patience. But the signs thus far are positive despite ladder position.

Only one more game in the season. It's been an enduring yet cathartic journey.

It was the year we needed to have unfortunately, our list was a mess, we debuted Powell, Phillips, Ford, the speed wagon Lazzaro & Comben.
You remember when the media said we wouldn't have enough players to fill our list? THen we went out and grabbed Young, Corr, Stephenson and Atu all for not much.

Managed to get a lot of games into Taylor, TT, McKay, LDU, Scott, Mahony, Larkey & Zurhaar so much so that we'll have a fair few aover the 50 plus games mark next season.

Also got Edwards and yes for mine our year I'll give it a 9/10. It was after all a rebuilding year. Next year is a different matter and I expect we will see a better balanced side with the intent on winning.

No more of Tarrant, Walker & McKay in the backline- ridiculous. Also Perez will be back and he can play. Ditto Corr.

It's not the spoon itself Gaso, it's the celebration of it that is grinding my gears.
There's optimism that all our kids will make it and our team will become great, but there is no guarantee.
We've had 7 wins in our last 39 games and I'm ******* sick of it. I was 4 years old when we won our last flag so have only vague memories, and I don't want to turn into another Melbourne or St Kilda.
Nobody is celebrating the spoon.

The sad truth is that we, probably, would have finished last either way.

Exactly. Because like it or not, that is where we are at.

Trying to paint anyone who is unhappy for us to be at the arse end of the ladder for an extended period as the same people that were happy for us to finish mid-table and keep mediocre players on our list is quite a disingenuous comment from our own resident Love Guru.

Hang on. I am not expecting things to just click next year. Due to the age profile of our genuine talent on our list as well as the cliff approaching of our senior players, that is very unrealistic. The last 3 losses should be a clear reminder to all supporters that we still have a way to go.

The undeniable positive truths from my perspective are though:
- We have the most talented young group we’ve have since the 90s,
- We have a coach who is already my favourite since the 90s (albeit early days),
- The club has clear direction, which it’s lacked since the 90s.

A lot still has to go right, time & patience. But the signs thus far are positive despite ladder position.

Well we are in furious agreement then. Despite my frustration I am very bullish on our list and rate our coaching staff very highly. If it all clicks for us I think we will be a great team. I just want to see more signs that it will click before I go all in declaring our rebuild a complete success.

There are quite a few that don't share your view however and expect us to play finals next year.

I think we expect too much from Goldy, to be honest. When he just breaks even with an opponent, we’re inclined to say he was flogged. For mine, he was battling manfully against the tide in the first half when a lot of our players were completely ineffectual. He ran his heart out and shaded the overall ruck battle in the end - in my view.

Fair call. Hickey was still great, and he's now a legit excellent ruckman.

All I know is whenever Thomas gets his hands on the footy in midfield we look an elite side. He just made things happen in an attacking sense and brings others into the game. We just need to see that more. He is crucial to round off our midfield combination.

Will Phillips was the key driver in the last qtr. think he set up the first 3 or 4 opportunities going forward and got us within reaching distance of Sydney. Didn’t think his kicking was a strength at junior level, but he weights the ball beautifully and is just a smart player. What a great addition to our side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second week in a row where it was a tale of two halves. The first was putrid, although having said that, Sydney is a top team in the competition and were applying insane pressure. It was very pleasing to see the team fight back from that in the second half to get within 4 points at one stage. I would put this down to Noble and the coaching group keeping the feedback simple and direct, it seemed to spark some lift in the playing group.

Sydney were very sharp with their laser like passing, it was really a stark contrast to many of our players butchering short passes and delivering it back to the opposition - we got killed in terms of scores off turnovers.

Given the number of young players in the team, and an ageing backline against an well coached finals bound team - the result wasn't that suprising/depressing. To come back from 38 and put some fear back into Sydney was probably the most pleasing aspect of the game tonight.

Loved Phillips delivery tonight, he has incredible poise for a first year player. Eddie ford showed us why he has such glowing praise from the coaching staff. Zurharr is a superstar in the making - he will bring our supporter base up for years to come. Tarryn Thomas missed a couple of passes inside 50, but his game overall was very silky.

We will smash Adelaide next week

All I know is whenever Thomas gets his hands on the footy in midfield we look an elite side. He just made things happen in an attacking sense and brings others into the game. We just need to see that more. He is crucial to round off our midfield combination.

Will Phillips was the key driver in the last qtr. think he set up the first 3 or 4 opportunities going forward and got us within reaching distance of Sydney. Didn’t think his kicking was a strength at junior level, but he weights the ball beautifully and is just a smart player. What a great addition to our side.
Before Thomas had his break, he was just about to explode.

All about continuity for our young players.

We beat the Eagles at home (something even the Tiges couldnt do with Martin playing).

Beat Carltank convincingly.

Beat Hawthorn with a miraculous comeback.

Served it up to Geelong twice.

Competed well against top 4 sides fundamentally more superior on paper until the final siren. In some games, leading them in stats and on scoreboard.

Besides the early horror, we've been a more formidable opponent trusting our own style and being more adventurous with ball in hand.

The excitement alone from the younger guys very much suggests we are on the right track.

Brisbane just belted Collingwood and Carltank just got done too.

Next year will be interesting.

What I 'require' is for my football team to not be sh*t. I just honestly don't understand how anyone (despite our minor improvement) can look at these results and say "yep I'm happy with this". I know where we are at, I've come to terms with it despite hoping otherwise. But the cognitive dissonance of some on here that can see us finish dead last but at the same time have this notion that we are somehow better than we actually are is just baffling.
Your holding on too tight man.

This year was never purely about the W’s and L’s, it was about trying to correct the mess left by Brad Scott and looking for our next premiership group.

If Pick 1 turns out to be a star player that helps us win a flag, you might actually look back and say, well maybe it all worked out for the best.

Best to not be short sighted my friend and look at the long game. This business is about winning premierships and if you aren’t you are nowhere.

I also think our mix isn't even anywhere near finished. Like, it's still in version pre-alpha stage.

Some of the most exciting football I've ever seen has come from this year since being old enough to watch my beloved footy club.

That says something.

I’m sorry to say but as a team we have gone past having Jed spend time in the middle. The bloke is a warrior and a great competitor, but lacks that polish to be playing too many minutes in there.

We looked so much better after half time when Noble was rotating Simpkin, LDU, TT and Phillips.

He lacks any weapons outside of hardness.

Bit harsh on Jed.

We were crying out for him when he was sidelined.

He matches the contested situations that ultimately, shouldn't and cannot be left to our young guys to carry as they are just not quite there. They can do it for a while, but there needs to be rotation.

I agree he has his limitations, but he has the experience to offer and that alone eases the load and settles the nerves.

As the young guys continue to rise, Jed won't be as crucial factor as he has been previously.

The short term contract is indicative of the situation. We know his worth and hes there as support.

Ecstatic with the result. The first half left us in no doubt how much more work we have ahead of us this off-season. Then we won the second half, Charlie kicks his first goal and we get the first pick in the draft.

i couldn’t give a rats toss bag that we finished last. The development and potential of the players and the game plan is there for all to see.

A solid win against the crows would top it all off. A bag from Charlie and I will be in heaven.

I don't want mid table. I want top 4 and finals.

Rebuilding and potential can be (and are often) used as excuses for underperforming, and we had plenty of underperforming under Scotts.

As you said, we have the talent, we have the plan. So why do so many feel the need to celebrate us coming last?

Noone’s REALLY celebrating it. But every one of us had us locked in for the spoon with maybe 4 or 8 points total at Round nine.

So to be maybe the tenth best team in the back half of the season, finishing with momentum AND get Pick 1 is a bit of a leg up. So people feel better about it than if we’d finished 2-20.

Cool your jets, everyone wants to win, we’re just capable of seeing good within the bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back