AFLW Round 3 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game. Grind of a last quarter but bloody exciting to watch. Didn't think Melbourne could hold out that long.
Very impressive fightback by North.

Hope the Crows vs Freo game is as good - great way to showcase the game.

Should move the debate away from whether the women’s game can be a decent spectacle and move it to where the debate needs to be - how we can establish a more even comp...because the gap between the best and the worst is too big.

But jeez - if anyone else ever comes on here to ignorantly bag women’s footy then point them to this game, and then the Freo vs Doggies from last year.

I'd have to check the replay but centre bounce with scores at 53-51, don't think Garner was in there which summed up the night (even if I'm wrong about that particular instance, she definitely wasn't used very well throughout most of the match).
Great game
Be interesting to see the numbers on how often whoever is ahead at halftime wins.
Might be a short game thing, I noticed it with the mens last year too.
I've got fairly definitive numbers buried in a spreadsheet somewhere but from memory it's surprisingly around 75% regardless of whether the match is men's or women's or long or short.

Probably didn't deserve to win after conceding 6 goals in the second, but our fightback in the third was brilliant and all the momentum and play was heading in our direction, until that 50m penalty to Paxman. I think it deflated us for a bit, and we never really got that run going again.

That said, probably the best game of woman's football I've seen despite the result. It seems to be the way with the NMFC, be it mens or womans footy.

Just watched the replay. I've probably watched most AFLW games that have ever been played, and I'm pretty sure that was the highest skill level ever on display. And congrats to both coaches for letting it flow, and realising that the answer to a team scoring goals against you isn't to clog up your backline, but to score more goals yourself.

The future will look more and more like this, only better. The only people who wouldn't pay money to see it are those that don't like footy.

Just watched the replay. I've probably watched most AFLW games that have ever been played, and I'm pretty sure that was the highest skill level ever on display. And congrats to both coaches for letting it flow, and realising that the answer to a team scoring goals against you isn't to clog up your backline, but to score more goals yourself.

The future will look more and more like this, only better. The only people who wouldn't pay money to see it are those that don't like footy.

Now that I am not so FURIOUS... was so impressed by Melbourne's skills.

Now that I am not so FURIOUS... was so impressed by Melbourne's skills.
Meanwhile I’m in bed trying sleep but still simmering over the Paxman 50, the ball bounced straight into her hands ffs.

I didn’t think it was possible for someone to stick their hand that far up their own arse but that Umpire not only managed it, but also managed to pull out a doosey of a penalty that has left me totally flummoxed.

Are we going to see 50m penalties every time someone doesn’t deliver the ball on the full, of course not because it happens a dozen times a game. I hope this is the only time we will a decision that stupid.

Rant over.

Meanwhile I’m in bed trying sleep but still simmering over the Paxman 50, the ball bounced straight into her hands ffs.

I didn’t think it was possible for someone to stick their hand that far up their own arse but that Umpire not only managed it, but also managed to pull out a doosey of a penalty that has left me totally flummoxed.

Are we going to see 50m penalties every time someone doesn’t deliver the ball on the full, of course not because it happens a dozen times a game. I hope this is the only time we will a decision that stupid.

Rant over.

My head nearly *in exploded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rant over.

Mind you... We did get one as well which was equally stupid

Tegan Cunningham managed 2 goals, 32 disposals and 10 marks (6 contested) from 7 games in 2020. This season: 5 goals, 27 disposals and 9 marks (5 contested) from 3 games. I'm interested to hear what Mick Stinear thinks the reason for the difference has been, because he/Todd Patterson would have surely delisted her last August if she wasn't midway through a two-year contract. Didn't get asked about her in the post-match presser though.

Also feels like a good time to point out that if the competition hadn't expanded beyond 10 teams, Georgia Patrikios would probably be playing for Melbourne right now... Does it look like they need her in order to produce a quality brand of footy?

sh*t this is a good game.
This is what's so frustrating with those who seem fixated on the scoreline to determine if it was a good game or not

There'll be those who haven't watched enough of this weekend's matches but based on nothing other than 111 points being scored last night between Melbourne & North, they'll decide that was the best game this round

They then look at 15 points scored between 2 teams in the first half today and if they haven't been watching then it's easy to be kinda dismissive of the match as "obviously not being much", rather than seeing the contest and battle between the 2 teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back