Preview Round 7, 2020: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 19 July 2020, 3.35pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe get someone to run through Gawn at the opening bounce and draw a line in the sand. We may not be fantastic but we will at least be competitive and make an opponent have a tough day.

He shouldnt be captain. Never has our team lacked leadership in this way.
And never has leadership been more important than during this challenging hub period. Expect clubs with strong onfield leadership - such as Geelong - to show the resilience required to thrive. Our lack of leadership within the playing group (notwithstanding the age of our group) is going to hurt us during hub life (and already has).

Fb: Frost, Frawley, Sicily
Hb: Day, Scrims,Hardwick
C: Smith Mitch, Shiels
Hf: Silk, Tob, Morrison
FF: Jekka,Gunston,Wingard
R: Mcevoy, Jom, Worpel

Ic: Morris,Impey,Finn,Cj

Patto - Jekka - straight swap
Hendo - Finn - straight swap
Pop,Stratts,Cegs, 🚮 in Silk,Impey,Cj

Last edited:

Backing should look like this,

Hawdwick, frawley , Sicilian

Day, frost , impy

I'm worried about Statton... in his days was our best defender, I think the game is past him.

The back line we had last night was way to tall and pies made us look soo slow

As much as I want to see Lewis and Scrimshaw back in, I’m not sure if they’ll recover in time.

Puopolo has to be one of the omissions. He’s been a great servant but his time is done. It’s evident he’s lost his leg speed.

If Stratton wasn’t captain, then he would’ve been omitted by now. I would prefer to see Jiath come in.

Clarkson needs to stand firm just like he did last year with Roughead and Gibson the year before.

IN: Burgoyne, Minchington, Jones

OUT: Patton (injured), Ceglar (omitted), Puopolo (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton

HB: Sicily, Frost, Morrison

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Wingard

F: Minchington, O’Brien, Morris

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Worpel, Day, Scully, Jones

EMG: Ceglar, Hartley, Puopolo, Jiath

As much as I want to see Lewis and Scrimshaw back in, I’m not sure if they’ll recover in time.

Puopolo has to be one of the omissions. He’s been a great servant but his time is done. It’s evident he’s lost his leg speed.

If Stratton wasn’t captain, then he would’ve been omitted by now. I would prefer to see Jiath come in.

Clarkson needs to stand firm just like he did last year with Roughead and Gibson the year before.

IN: Burgoyne, Minchington, Jones

OUT: Patton (injured), Ceglar (omitted), Puopolo (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton

HB: Sicily, Frost, Morrison

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Wingard

F: Minchington, O’Brien, Morris

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Worpel, Day, Scully, Jones

EMG: Ceglar, Hartley, Puopolo, Jiath
Clarko said that Scrim is going to be out for 3-5 weeks in his weekly presser. Unfortunate

I think we will see Minchinton and Burgoyne come in for Morris and Puopolo.

No idea who comes in for Patton. I'd like to see Ceglar and McEvoy share that FF role, and see Gunston play deeper, but who knows.

Impey will need another run in the scratch matches. CJ would be a handy in, but suspect Morrison gets another game.

From there I suspect Clarko gives Hendo/Scully another run before replacing them with Maginness.
I don’t think Hendo has been right since he copped a head knock against Geelong and then another one a game or 2 later. Either way the guy clearly isn’t performing and needs a break. Poppy albeit a great servant of the club he’s been is the guy that has been getting games that shouldn’t be. Every aspect of his game has declined to the point where even his forward pressure doesn’t make up for all the other shortcomings.

Players to maybe come in next week should be: Burgoyne, Hartley, Maginness, Jones

Players to be on the chopping block or injured: Henderson, Puopolo, Patton, Scully. I could add 3-4 more names but due to injuries and depth they’ll unfortunately be safe.

Now if I was given final on selection then I’d go with:

INS: Burgoyne, Hartley, Maginness
OUTS: Puopolo, Patton, Henderson

B Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB Sicily Frost Hartley
C Smith Mitchell Day
HF Gunston O’Brien Wingard
F Morris McEvoy Burgoyne
R O’Meara Ceglar Worpel

INT Shiels Morrison Maginness Scully

Due to both Lewis / Patton both being injured I’d be rotating those 2 from ruck to forward and abandon the experiment which is why Hartley makes his debut for the club. Maginness also makes his debut and brings some much needed grunt, speed and mongrel that we’ve sorely lacked. I was also inclined to bring Jones in for Scully but we all know that won’t happen due to Clarko liking to play things safe. Burgoyne and Morris up forward gives our forward line 2 guys at either end of their careers that will bring the effort all game long.

Dees will win comfortably.

OUT:
- Puopolo
- Henderson
- Scully
- Stratton
- Ceglar
- Patton (injury)

IN:
- Finn
- Jones
- CJ
- Walker
- Ross
- Moore

And as sad as it would be, Burgoyne should not be playing again. No point given our situation.

Having said that you know Clarko will be stubborn and still try and go for it.

OUT:
- Puopolo
- Henderson
- Scully
- Stratton
- Ceglar
- Patton (injury)

IN:
- Finn
- Jones
- CJ
- Walker
- Ross
- Moore

And as sad as it would be, Burgoyne should not be playing again. No point given our situation.

Don’t be surprised if Burgers is still there next year will be pretty close to 400 games by the end of this season.

OUT:
- Puopolo
- Henderson
- Scully
- Stratton
- Ceglar
- Patton (injury)

IN:
- Finn
- Jones
- CJ
- Walker
- Ross
- Moore

I hope so. I'm not giving up yet

OUT:
- Puopolo
- Henderson
- Scully
- Stratton
- Ceglar
- Patton (injury)

IN:
- Finn
- Jones
- CJ
- Walker
- Ross
- Moore

I'm not confident but I think it'll be relatively close, both teams really struggle to score so I can see it being a low scoring slog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always been in the “do not play Hardwick as a small forward camp” but given our lack of small forwards. What about bringing in Greaves for example and have him take Hardwick’s spot and play Hardwick up forward for a few games?

I wonder if he has guaranteed him 400 he did have a 2 year option to go to the Suns i think?

Yes you're right about the Suns deal. The minute you start giving guys extra years for milestones you become a club that values individual achievement over the club and that's never been the Hawthorn way. (note I love the guy)

OUT:
- Puopolo
- Henderson
- Scully
- Stratton
- Ceglar
- Patton (injury)

IN:
- Finn
- Jones
- CJ
- Walker
- Ross
- Moore

Dees have only won one game
Lets see how they go against the Suns

Hoping to see an improvement - but it just depends which version of Jekyll or Hyde Hawthorn turn up. Given our draw at the start of year - most of us would have been happy to be 3 - 3 after playing how we have; however the disappointing part has been how we have lost our games.
I think losing Breust has had a big impact on our forwardline - hoping we have an improved improvement with Burgoyne / Impey coming into the team, keeping the youngsters playing. Am just hoping we play a more aggressive type of gameplan like we did in the second half of last year.

In the last five games, Ceglar has been utterly battered in three of them. Destroyed by Rhys Stanley, battered by Goldstein which I can accept, but I cannot accept six frees against, and now blown away by Grundy. Why was so much faith placed in him while Pittonet was head and shoulders better as a ruckman? I don't buy the lack of around the ground stuff, because Ceglar has been every bit as bad, if not worse. McEvoy has to ruck solo. Minch was apparently quite good in the scratch match today, but don't see Puopolo going anywhere until he passes 200 games. At least we're close now I guess. Hartley pretty good too from what I read before. I'd personally play all of Jones, Morris, Day and Maginess as much as possible with these shorter turnarounds, but not holding my breath.

Expecting Burgoyne in for Morris and I don't know, Hartley in for Patton.

Going by the normal 2 changes max for Clarko

Out - Patton , Puopolo
In - Burgoyne , Jones

Will be tempted to play Impey but may be worth giving him an extra week .

Need to pressure them and let there poor kicking skills do the rest for us then capatilise. If we dont pressure properly they may run all over us .
Im not confident but we should beat them

Wont be a pretty game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back