Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick crunch of numbers on the VFL says he is averaging 30 disposals and 5.5 tackles across his four games

Ball use has been very ordinary though in what I've seen.

Ball use has been very ordinary though in what I've seen.

He is never going to be a fantastic kick, needs to know his limitations and be conservative with it. Looking at the three games with full stats available, effective kicks was 55%, 73% and 45% while handball effectiveness (which is probably more valuable for him to feed the outside) was 93% (15 H/B), 83% (23 H/B) and 82% (17 H/B). As far as I'm concerned, if he can draw a tackler and give it accurately to Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and Phillips I'll be happy.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if he plays more than 65% of total game time, meaning he'll be at around 80 minutes on ground. If he gets 15 disposals and 10 of those are meaningful handballs and he provides tackling pressure I think it'll be serviceable.

He is never going to be a fantastic kick, needs to know his limitations and be conservative with it. Looking at the three games with full stats available, effective kicks was 55%, 73% and 45% while handball effectiveness (which is probably more valuable for him to feed the outside) was 93% (15 H/B), 83% (23 H/B) and 82% (17 H/B). As far as I'm concerned, if he can draw a tackler and give it accurately to Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and Phillips I'll be happy.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if he plays more than 65% of total game time, meaning he'll be at around 80 minutes on ground. If he gets 15 disposals and 10 of those are meaningful handballs and he provides tackling pressure I think it'll be serviceable.

I've always thought he was average at best by foot but some of that was always situational. Definitely better by hand, but his handball radar was way off in the game against the Bombers. Time will tell if that was an outlier or more a reflection of where his ball use is currently at.

Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL 5 mins ago

Rupert Wills looked super in Collingwood’s summer intraclubs. Leap a standout. Surprised it’s taken this long. Can play.

@7NewsMelbourne
Even a blind pig finds the occasional acorn.

Last edited:
Or better still a truffle.

Be a truffle Rupert!
I was referring to m Stevens the journalist, if you can even call him that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was the blind pig and Wills the acorn? Wills is a truffle rooted out by the pig, which is actually how they're found.
Yes.

That does fit.

So we ageee, Wills is fine, Stevens oink oink.

Saintly made it up, around the time he was jinxing the Vikings.
I loved Ragnar Lothbrok.

And what happened to the greatest of all Vikings?

Went to Valhalla after being tossed in a pit of deadly snakes.

Great to see him get a rare opp to show what he can offer. Rare because is clearly seen as 2nd fiddle to Sier who himself is pretty much depth and is still out injured.
May not have the luxury of a "warm up" mediocre game though.

Just remember Rupert and team.

The practice cones in this game are not orange, they are navy blue. o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back