Traded Ryan Griffen + Pick 6 traded for Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyd - let's say he turns out pretty well...
So say you've got him in that top group of young KPFs with Cameron, Patton, Hogan, Daniher and one or two others.
If we assume that the key forwards of today will be roughly as good as these developing key forwards, Boyd might be around a Hawkins/Cloke (at their best) level of out put with some luck, and is unlikely to be better unless he is a freak like Franklin. Is it worth paying someone like this $7 million to get them to your club, when at least 3/4 of these years they are likely to be rubbish (from an AFL level standpoint)?

Wasn't Marc Murphy made part of your leadership group before he even debuted?
Knowing one of his mates, he said from the outset Murphy oozed leadership and was a quality bloke off the field - known things before he'd even played his first game.

Sometimes highly rated juniors show enough to offer strong indications of what they will be - and Boyd debuted as a KPF as an 18 year old after a decorated junior career. It is a risk, but considering our history with forwards - not acting was also a risk

That was Gibbs. Looking at his reputation on Bigfooty and the fact he he was taken out of the group soon after not sure it's a good argument to use. Besides the point though, I find it hard to believe an unproven yet very hyped 9 game player taking a 7 figure annual pay cheque would not cause some sort of tension within the group. Will be even worse if he doesn't perform quickly despite most level headed people realising young KPFs take time.

Tom Boyd removed our captain and coach now?

I know people make up BS online, but wow.
No, the trade with GWS cost you all that. Tom Boyd was just the currency coming the other way.

Maybe you missed the news when your captain walked out without warning saying "I want to go to GWS". That was the start of a trade. From there it was negotiation, and fallout.

So losing your captain was the first bit of the trade.
Losing your coach came next.
Then your president did a few interviews looking like a dill.
Then you finally got Boyd.

Get it now? It's all connected. You can try and separate it if you want, and i know you will, because you've got to spin it as a positive for your club. you kind of have to to keep the faith, because you club's performance on field is pretty bad, but off-field you guys are a complete shambles. And nothing is going to make your players happier than knowing that a 9 game kid is getting 10% of your cap for 7 years, and the ex-captain who just walked out is getting a fair whack of your TPP too, even though he's playing for GWS. "Gee, sorry Dahlhouse... we can't give you an increased contract because we promised Ryan we'd give him your share so he could walk out on you. We'd give some of what's left over, but Tom is 200cm and was a number one pick, so you know... he's just more important to the club."

What a shambles.

Is it worth paying someone like this $7 million to get them to your club, when at least 3/4 of these years they are likely to be rubbish (from an AFL level standpoint)?

Opportunity cost. Remember that if the Dogs spend 95% of the cap next year they don't save $500k in the sense of carrying it through to 2016.

If the Dogs could get Boy for $500k then paying $1m is stupid.

If the pricetag is $1m then what better use of that money should they have made? It's all well and good to say '$1m should get you a Franklin or Ablett' but there are no Franklins nor Abletts available.

Realistically the options were to push for Boyd and pay the $1m or whatever it really is to get him, or accept more draft picks, pay the minimum cap amount and hope there is someone they can go after next year.

Opportunity cost. Remember that if the Dogs spend 95% of the cap next year they don't save $500k in the sense of carrying it through to 2016.

If the Dogs could get Boy for $500k then paying $1m is stupid.

If the pricetag is $1m then what better use of that money should they have made? It's all well and good to say '$1m should get you a Franklin or Ablett' but there are no Franklins nor Abletts available.

Realistically the options were to push for Boyd and pay the $1m or whatever it really is to get him, or accept more draft picks, pay the minimum cap amount and hope there is someone they can go after next year.
Agreed. Good deal / bad deal. They wanted him, they got him. You'd think people are using here own money to pay for him.

That's how it should work.
Doesn't though.
There is already a chasm between some of the players at Footscray.
There will be a few noses out of joint.
I think you'll find most of the poison has been removed . While your in the art of clairvoyance can you give me the winning lotto nerd for the next 12 months? Was there any noses out of joint with Martin flirting with GWS? Give the guessing game a spell

The biggest risk is not taking any risk. As for Boyd's salary, with the feeding frenzy that would have been for his services in 12 months' time, he would have matched that salary. And just wait and see what monstrous salary Jeremy Clayton will be on in 2016, whoever he plays for. It will dwarf Boyd's contract.
According to McKay he was being already courted by Carlton

I think you'll find most of the poison has been removed . While your in the art of clairvoyance can you give me the winning lotto nerd for the next 12 months? Was there any noses out of joint with Martin flirting with GWS? Give the guessing game a spell
Ok.
You say I'm guessing.
That's up for you to decide. And as for Martin that doesn't even make sense as a comparison?
He came back with his tail between his legs on less money than he otherwise would've been.
It's pretty much the complete opposite.
Footy players have egos and are very selfish by nature.
Just the way it is.
At all clubs not just the bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he's overpaid for output, but the club are investing in the futures market. Just as Melbourne are with Hogan .
The difference is that we aren't paying him $1M/year. You have just made an 8 game player one of the top 5 paid player in the AFL. All while still paying a million dollars of Griff's wage.

I personally believe there are a few ( maybe quite a few) who think the dogs should know their place, and be a s**t no threat loveable loser footy club.
As for the lazy fluffy sloth pathetic excuse for an accredited afl journalist Robinson ..
Who gives a flying f*** what you think

Ok.
You say I'm guessing.
That's up for you to decide. And as for Martin that doesn't even make sense as a comparison?
He came back with his tail between his legs on less money than he otherwise would've been.
It's pretty much the complete opposite.
Footy players have egos and are very selfish by nature.
Just the way it is.
At all clubs not just the bulldogs.
So nobodies nose was out of joint ?
Tend to recall Tiger media mouthpiece Caro wanting him out and tiger talkback was pretty scathing if I recall.
Stop talking hypotheticals and playing a guessing game.

So nobodies nose was out of joint ?
Tend to recall Tiger media mouthpiece Caro wanting him out and tiger talkback was pretty scathing if I recall.
Stop talking hypotheticals and playing a guessing game.
Players noses out of joint!
Who gives a •••• about Caro or the fans?
They don't have any affect on the results.
You've just missed the whole point.
Forget about it.

Did you actually read what I wrote? You just repeated what I said. Sorry typo, and 90% not 9and0%
"Darling has been good but a more half forward flank type key forward. Push up, lead up, figure 8 leading pattern, needs distance on his opponent and 90% of possession outside 40m"
Why are you so defensive? I never said Darling was not good, I just said different. It's obvious Darling is not your no1 forward, Kennedy is. If you had to choose, would it be Darling or Kennedy?

OK if you insist Darling is like J Brown and Dermie....... Happy?
He isn't, but still very capable of playing a deep forward role. It's the 0% that threw me, also the ommission of his year as a KP target

No, the trade with GWS cost you all that. Tom Boyd was just the currency coming the other way.

Maybe you missed the news when your captain walked out without warning saying "I want to go to GWS". That was the start of a trade. From there it was negotiation, and fallout.

So losing your captain was the first bit of the trade.
Losing your coach came next.
Then your president did a few interviews looking like a dill.
Then you finally got Boyd.

Get it now? It's all connected. You can try and separate it if you want, and i know you will, because you've got to spin it as a positive for your club. you kind of have to to keep the faith, because you club's performance on field is pretty bad, but off-field you guys are a complete shambles. And nothing is going to make your players happier than knowing that a 9 game kid is getting 10% of your cap for 7 years, and the ex-captain who just walked out is getting a fair whack of your TPP too, even though he's playing for GWS. "Gee, sorry Dahlhouse... we can't give you an increased contract because we promised Ryan we'd give him your share so he could walk out on you. We'd give some of what's left over, but Tom is 200cm and was a number one pick, so you know... he's just more important to the club."

What a shambles.

All dogs supporters see is

"blah blah blah blah got Boyd blah blah blah" :)

Western Bulldogs big winners and Giants know it. I hope Boyd lives up to the hype but gut feeling is will be a jet

The Bulldogs have been bent over with this deal.

GWS didn't even use lube
I don't understand this? He is what we need...griff was going whether we like it or not....as soon as that happened his worth plummeted. Pick 6 and a late mid 1st rounder is worth it for potentially the best power forward drafted since John brown

Wait until he's off contract, refuse to trade Griffen and certainly kept pick 6. There's a kid by the name of Peter Wright who 'may' be available at #6, and he'll be a better player than Boyd ever will.

One of the worst trades I've ever seen.
Lol Peter wright doesn't deserve to carry Boyds footy bag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back