SA v Aus - First Test wash up.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd make a few changes, we almost threw it away on the 4th day. The players need to wake up to themselves.

1. Renshaw (Bancroft is a turd of a batsman)
2. Short (Warner should be sent home in disgrace after the De Kock incident)
3. M. Marsh (best batsman should be at 3 and he is the best we have)
4. S. Smith [vc] (would want to make runs this test or I would consider dropping him or maybe playing him at 8 as a bowling all rounder)
5. S. Marsh (borderline, will give him one more chance)
6. Henriques [c] (will stiffen the batting and bring some true leadership and funky field placements)
7. Wade (seen enough of Paine, won't make another run in these conditions)
8. Agar (Lyon gone unless it's a raging turner and we need 2 spinners, should have taken 10 on that Durban pitch)
9. Starc (MotM means he is safe
10. Siddle (need a workhorse in case South Africa bat for five days. Hazlewood doesn't have the penetration)
11. Stanlake (big Billy to bring the pain)

58506.jpg

Gee whiz, severely underrating the Aussie attack.

No, I'm not. In SA with green top conditions, the SA bowlers will have more control of the ball from what I've seen so far of the Aus bowlers in really bowler friendly conditions. I always expect Haze to go well when it's nipping around but Starc can turn bowling with the new ball into a bit of a crap shoot at times.

I'd make a few changes, we almost threw it away on the 4th day. The players need to wake up to themselves.

4. S. Smith [vc] (would want to make runs this test or I would consider dropping him or maybe playing him at 8 as a bowling all rounder)
6. Henriques [c] (will stiffen the batting and bring some true leadership and funky field placements)
8. Agar (Lyon gone unless it's a raging turner and we need 2 spinners, should have taken 10 on that Durban pitch)
10. Siddle (need a workhorse in case South Africa bat for five days. Hazlewood doesn't have the penetration)

A bit too obvious a troll, I'm afraid. :p

I love that it took me until smith to realise you were trolling

Ussie's form hasn't been so dire that it demands he be dropped and I think there's value in retaining a winning team. We certainly aren't hearing about rotating fast bowlers anymore.
That's because Pattinson, Coulter-Nile and Behrendorff are injured.
Rotating fast bowlers tends to happen more for our one day team format anyway.

Experts think that Warner might be suspended and de Kock fined if they were dishing out suspensions.

Starc was the main difference between the teams. ABDV's run out was crucial. Think oz has the fielding edge.

Doubt anyone would get suspended. Would be stupid. Test cricket of this intensity is good to see.
Fine the two clowns and tell them to tone down the personal stuff and learn to be funny with your sledging to each other.

Pretty over Usman. For someone with his experience he seems rather rigid in his batting approach.

When he was first dropped they asked for him to improve his ability to rotate the strike and I've never really seen a change in that regard. Now he's either led footed or prancing every ball to the spinners, just not intelligent batting. That reverse sweep was also putrid

Big positive was M Marsh. Great innings and has immensely improved and proven me and many others wrong. Hope it can continue

His batting yes, his bowling well not so much. While he is making runs he will justify a spot. Khawaja on tour just does not work. Not sure how many more tours it will take before they work it out. Bancroft should have been dropped for playing that appalling shot in the first innings.That is a park cricket shot. Having said that SAF has a lot of short comings i.e. Amla only makes runs against weaker teams,their long tail, and their lack of heart when things become difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His batting yes, his bowling well not so much. While he is making runs he will justify a spot. Khawaja on tour just does not work. Not sure how many more tours it will take before they work it out. Bancroft should have been dropped for playing that appalling shot in the first innings.That is a park cricket shot. Having said that SAF has a lot of short comings i.e. Amla only makes runs against weaker teams,their long tail, and their lack of heart when things become difficult.
I don't think their tail is god awful. Vernon can hold the bat, but you really don't have much of a chance when Starc is bowling like that. Those deliveries would have disimissed set top order batsmen

You didn't just watch them dig in, a mile behind the game at 4 for 49 and bat another 76 overs? Way more staunch than the aussies under pressure.

We are just lucky we have Starc in tail ending god-mode.

Not sure if you're serious or not but Paris has like 5 fc under his belt. He's talented but he hasn't showed promise or performed to the extent of the others.

Kind of like Cummins or Hazelwood early on was identified as a PONI (player of national interest). Perhaps more so in the shorter formats than test cricket.

Not sure if you're serious or not but Paris has like 5 fc under his belt. He's talented but he hasn't showed promise or performed to the extent of the others.
Obviously he’s had few FC games, but 35 wickets @ 19.57 in those 6 games, combined with already being a player of national interest, given Richardson was picked on a similar basis to an extent, wouldn’t surprise me that once fit with a spot open that Paris would be up there

Obviously he’s had few FC games, but 35 wickets @ 19.57 in those 6 games, combined with already being a player of national interest, given Richardson was picked on a similar basis to an extent, wouldn’t surprise me that once fit with a spot open that Paris would be up there

Sad thing for Paris is it seems a struggle to stay on the park. Manages to get back for a game or two and breaks down again. It almost doesn't matter how many overs he bowls. Will be a long time until his workloads get higher enough for long form cricket again, which is a shame.

He still has a bit more time on his hands over the likes of Behrendorff and NCN from an age perspective though.

The biggest worry was not being able to stop the flow on runs when Markram and de Kock were going. It was like a one-day game. We needed to just shut things down and build some sort of pressure at that stage. It was going to be over quickly one way or the other, and fortunately Marsh snared Markram.

I agree with the idea South Africa should roll out green tops. Starc and Hazelwood didn’t use them super well in England in 2015, so hopefully they have both learnt from that experience.

I’d like a green top because it would be good practice for the ashes next year.

Also Philander would be the best bowler of either side on a green top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back