Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a massive waste of everyones time. Josh Carr was there and is there now, why resign this guy for 2 more years if the next guy is already there and ready to go. Absolute horse s**t if after so many years as an assistant he isn't ready yet then he's not the man for the job in 2 years. I'd argue another 2 years under this leadership and he definitely isn't the person, we needed a fresh voice not more of the same.

This is a massive waste of everyones time. Josh Carr was there and is there now, why resign this guy for 2 more years if the next guy is already there and ready to go. Absolute horse s**t if after so many years as an assistant he isn't ready yet then he's not the man for the job in 2 years. I'd argue another 2 years under this leadership and he definitely isn't the person, we needed a fresh voice not more of the same.
Carr has to do his cult training with Hinkley and Koch first, so things chuff along as per the script.

Last edited:

Kane Cornes lashes out Koch for not supporting Hinkley.

"It's just a frustration of mine. Have they not looked at other succession plans that don't work? Hawthorn - Mitchell-Clarkson ..."

Prior to speculation of Ken's future, Cornes praised Mitchell as a "genius" and possible the "best" coach in the competition.

“We’re getting a lot of evidence on how good a coach Sam Mitchell is. Not for the first time on this show have I called him a genius.”

“I’d give him another three years after next year … he needs a good five-six year rebuild to see this rebuild through.”

“Sam Mitchell could be the best coach in the league right now. We don’t yet know it, but we could look back and say he is the next Chris Scott. What he has done with what he has got is better than any other coach. The lack of tools that he has got and his ability to get his team to buy in to his game plan and system, and to have some big scalps like we saw last year with what he’s got… I couldn’t be any more impressed.”

Makes me sick to think that with even the tiniest amount of balls we could have potentially had one of Clarkson, Voss, Hardwick or Kingsley coaching this year
Port really should have, they're wasting their premiership window with the soon to be biggest failure coach. Even Choco Williams coming back would put them in the box seat to really contend.

Kane Cornes lashes out Koch for not supporting Hinkley.

Prior to speculation of Ken's future, Cornes praised Mitchell as a "genius" and possible the "best" coach in the competition.

"Have they not looked at other succession plans that don't work? Hawthorn - Mitchell-Clarkson ..."

Is he aware that Sam Mitchell has had the exact same amount of success as Ken Hinkley?

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF
Which is about how old Ken looks today. Maybe those scary finals last September aged him more than we thought.

I think the "needs more time" excuse is bullshit.

Koch is in the position where most of the staff want Ken to stay while most of the fans want him gone.

You can't appease both stakeholders, but this is Koch's attempt to try.

By suggesting that Carr "isn't ready", it justifies why he isn't coaching right now. By giving Ken another two years, Koch can say that the coach has been given more than a fair shot.

In return for this charade, Carr is promised the gig in two years, which us one of a couple of reasons why he didn't chase the Richmond job (the other being he wants to stay in Adelaide for his kids after moving them around the country).

it is interesting they have appointed a "coach for the coaches" but he's there for Carr, not Stinkers

this suggests to me, not only do they think Carr isn't ready (but maybe will be?), but perhaps more crucially, they recognise there's no use in trying to develop the current head coach any more

subconsciously perhaps, they know that Donuts is a lost cause

this suggests to me, not only do they think Carr isn't ready (but maybe will be?)

If Carr ‘isn’t ready’ at 44, with almost a decade and half’s experience as an AFL assistant, and with an SANFL flag under his belt as a head coach in his own right, it’s probably not a leap to surmise he’ll never be ready.

But another 2 years working under Ken Hinkley should do it!

The impression that I get (hear say) from the inside is that a future without Stinkers is something that is not to be discussed within the walls of PAFC.

I guess that is a part of the cult. Maybe this is the beginning of them being able to start speaking about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The impression that I get (hear say) from the inside is that a future without Stinkers is something that is not to be discussed within the walls of PAFC.

I guess that is a part of the cult. Maybe this is the beginning of them being able to start speaking about it.
How on earth will we survive without the great Ken Hinkley.......

celebrate hell yeah GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Last edited:
it is interesting they have appointed a "coach for the coaches" but he's there for Carr, not Stinkers

this suggests to me, not only do they think Carr isn't ready (but maybe will be?), but perhaps more crucially, they recognise there's no use in trying to develop the current head coach any more

subconsciously perhaps, they know that Donuts is a lost cause
This club will be a case study in years to come. Of how not to run one, obviously.

Surely some of the key people involved will look back in years to come as they survey their trashed legacies, knowing they could have done something but didn't have the guts. Oh well, not my legacy.

How on earth will we survive with the great Ken Hinkley.......

celebrate hell yeah GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The day he leaves, I reckon Stickerman should return to Port Road, and erect another sign which simply reads, "WOOHOO - HE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Any discussion regarding a future without Ken Hinkley is predicated on the mythology that:

1) he single-handedly worked miracles turning the club around from the Primus era to beating Collingwood in a final at the MCG and becoming a contender practically overnight — hell, he might’ve even saved the club despite all the off-field problems being sorted before he took the job;

2) his father-figure shtick is single-handedly retaining/attracting interstate talent — draftees, free agents and trade targets alike;

3) not only would marching him be seen as ungrateful, but we’d risk a player exodus regardless of where he next goes, as there’d no longer be a reason for the likes of Zak Butters, Ollie Wines and Dan Houston to stay — or the next Aliir Aliir, Paddy Ryder or Charlie Dixon to come over;

4) and who’d want to come to Adelaide to be paid millions of dollars and face the scrutiny and consequences of coaching the club that Exists To Win Premierships to none after 12+ seasons?!;

It’s utterly crackers of course, but Michelangelo Rucci and Kane Cornes keep repeating it, and it’s become something of an accepted reality for club figures and large swathes of supporters alike.

Any discussion regarding a future without Ken Hinkley is predicated on the mythology that:

1) he single-handedly worked miracles turning the club around from the Primus era to beating Collingwood in a final at the MCG and becoming a contender practically overnight — hell, he might’ve even saved the club despite all the off-field problems being sorted before he took the job;

2) his father-figure shtick is single-handedly retaining/attracting interstate talent — draftees, free agents and trade targets alike;

3) not only would marching him be seen as ungrateful, but we’d risk a player exodus regardless of where he next goes, as there’d no longer be a reason for the likes of Zak Butters, Ollie Wines and Dan Houston to stay — or the next Aliir Aliir, Paddy Ryder or Charlie Dixon to come over;

4) and who’d want to come to Adelaide to be paid millions of dollars and face the scrutiny and consequences of coaching the club that Exists To Win Premierships to none after 12+ seasons?!;

It’s utterly crackers of course, but Michelangelo Rucci and Kane Cornes keep repeating it, and it’s become something of an accepted reality for club figures and large swathes of supporters alike.
The myth that Port fans should be grateful to Ken for gracing us with his presence for so long is completely bonkers. Obviously we'll never know for sure, but with a competent coach we may have had flags in 2014, 2020 and/or 2021 - instead we've only got a meaningless 13 game winning streak to show for it.

My hunch is that Ken will be gone after this year unless we jag a flag.
Spot on I reckon. I unfortunately think we'll lose to both Collingwood and Crom in coming weeks, after which the levels of toxicity hanging over the club will be Chernobyl-like. The tipping point is coming I think, one that even the mouth-breathers currently running the club won't be able to ignore.

Spot on I reckon. I unfortunately think we'll lose to both Collingwood and Crom in coming weeks, after which the levels of toxicity hanging over the club will be Chernobyl-like. The tipping point is coming I think, one that even the mouth-breathers currently running the club won't be able to ignore.
Said mouth breathers have been ignoring us since at least 2017 - why not ignore us for a bit longer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back