Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 12 touches in the vfl today late in the last quarter playing in the middle

Some omissions here. Laid 8 tackles suggesting he did the defensive work. In a side that lost by 84 points as well.

Change of scenery is surely best for him. If he came to Hawthorn as part of a package for Tom Mitchell I'd happily have him. We'd probably play him in a 50/50 rotation with Wingard through mid/half forward.

Some omissions here. Laid 8 tackles suggesting he did the defensive work. In a side that lost by 84 points as well.

Change of scenery is surely best for him. If he came to Hawthorn as part of a package for Tom Mitchell I'd happily have him. We'd probably play him in a 50/50 rotation with Wingard through mid/half forward.

Not sure how keen we'd be on Mitchell, but I think SPS is going to be traded one way or another. Could see him being a decent HFF, which is probably one of the few roles we are pretty stocked for.

I think he's as likely to tread water at another club. Doesn't have the intensity, and far too many blindspots to be a really valuable footballer. Plays a few good games a year - always in favourable circumstances - but not a week to week performer and can't stick to a role particularly well. Still hasn't got the requisite fitness to be a mid either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put him at a similar trade value to Aaron Hall and Dan Butler.

Shown themselves to have some value at the level, but struggled to make the best 22 in their last year and out of contract.

Low trade value for the Blues.

I just can’t see what position he could excel at. He’s a role player at best.

Thank you.

I've posted this before on the Carlton but ive always seen Sammo as a visceral player. In the thick of it, fly by the seat of his pants... hes amazing. On the fly and working on gut instinct he does his best work. Problem is is we (well the coaches at least) have some deranged belief that he can be a cerebral player like Doc. Some guys can play that mindset, that can map it out goal square to goal square. They can see three plays ahead, those guys tend to be your leaders and set up play. Sammos problem is he plays on instinct but because his skill by foot can be so precise the coaches are trying to turn him into something hes not. Hes not a playmaker, hes a finisher.

If youre so inclined, then i would recommend watching the club's own highlight reel of him. Its filled with him playing forward of centre and just nailing targets inside 50.
I have probably seen him play like 30+ times live and most likely another 40+ times on television
My best mate is a blues supporter and we go to alot of blues and tigers games every year.

I have no doubt he has been played out of position and has the talent to become a very good wing/HF plyer that can go through the midfield, Unfortunately he is not given this opportunity in favour of Murphy who is being nursed to 300 games.

SPS should be playing the same role as Shai Bolton is for Richmond , Whilst i have not see the speed and leap shai has from SPS he is taller and heavier but has lateral movement to play this role.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up in the future (positional not team)

Played out of position.

Probably developed wrong over the years and is now low on confidence and where his place in the team is.

Probably won’t get much for him but would hope he gets a better opportunity at another club and becomes a player.

As frustrating as it is - Carlton need to develop talented players better.

Not convinced that this one is Carlton's fault, a lot of this has to go back to the player and his application.
You look at a whole raft of top 20 picks that Carlton has, and how they're turning out. A lot have question marks. Enough that I'd be suspicious of their development, and not the individual players.

You look at a whole raft of top 20 picks that Carlton has, and how they're turning out. A lot have question marks. Enough that I'd be suspicious of their development, and not the individual players.

Yes, that is true.

But in the case of this player - from watching him play - I am not sure this player is down to development. You have to have drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back