Second Test - Australia Vs South Africa at Kingsmead, Durban (Fri-Tue)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning the toss and batting first is what we must do, another reason is it may give our sore bowling attack another day or day and a half to get 100%.

Micky Arthur
"It is likely that we will play the spinner. We've played a spinner throughout our last successful period of 18 months. I think our spinner has been quite an integral part of our attack. If all things are equal I'm pretty sure we'll play the spinner."

I think Mickey Arthur wants to play the spinner for some reason.

I think the wise decision at this stage is for the Australians to go in unchanged, barring injuries. It doesn't sound to me like the pitch is going to be a raging turner, which would be the only reason i'd be considering McGain at this point.

According to Ponting we will again go with no spinner. With Magoffin here I would get him in if we want to go the 4 seamers. For me the 1st inns summed up Ponting feeling on McDonald, when going for the kill he had to over bowl his other 3 bowlers cause he didn't feel McDonald could do the job. We can't have that happening again or we will lose our bowlers to injury. So either Ponting has more faith in McDonald striking ability or we get in someone that he will have faith in.

In some ways I agree..in another way this could backfire. It is a DEFENSIVE option (McDonald as it is playing not to lose) as it does add to the batting strength..well it should. We are 1-0 up..if we draw the next 2 tests we'll all be happy.

Same team as the first test, although I'd bat Johnson at 8 and McDonald at 9.

If the wicket they showed in the sports report on Nein Morning News is the one being used tonight....could be an interesting test to say the least, they don't mind a bit of grass in SA do they? :eek:

Not that I am totally against grass on the wicket either, better than an asphalt highway:rolleyes:

I hope that you are not using two test matches as the basis of this rather ignorant comment.

McDonald is classes, and I mean classes ahead of Johnson as a batsman. Given time, he is good enough to average high 30's at test level. McDonald's first two test matches are not indicative of his talent.

Last match
However South Africa are not test cricket’s number one contender without merit. After being outclassed for over two days, it took them little over two hours to claw their way right back into the first test, and they will be hoping to carry that sort of form into this match. They’ve also been somewhat slow starters in test series in recent times (with the exception of their Australian visit), so don’t be surprised to see them step up a notch.

Slight misconception here. Regardless of their rush of wickets, they were no more back in the game than if we had of declared 1 wicket down. The target to chase and time frame to do so was always going to be about the same.

Very good write up though.:thumbsu:

In some ways I agree..in another way this could backfire. It is a DEFENSIVE option (McDonald as it is playing not to lose) as it does add to the batting strength..well it should. We are 1-0 up..if we draw the next 2 tests we'll all be happy.

Im not sure if it is a defensive option.

Fact remains McDonald is a very economical bowler. He picked up 3 wickets in the SCG test and 2 in Joburg. He is serving a vital role in that team. That being a guy who can bowl a lot of overs resting the strike bowelrs as almost locking down one end. He is capable of getting batsmen out despite the knockers.

I think he should play to be honest.

I hope that you are not using two test matches as the basis of this rather ignorant comment.

McDonald is classes, and I mean classes ahead of Johnson as a batsman. Given time, he is good enough to average high 30's at test level. McDonald's first two test matches are not indicative of his talent.

Johnson averages 30 with the bat at test level, I'd rather him at 8 and let him build a longer innings. I just rate Johnson's batting more- and I have watched both players at FC level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Ponting we will again go with no spinner. With Magoffin here I would get him in if we want to go the 4 seamers. For me the 1st inns summed up Ponting feeling on McDonald, when going for the kill he had to over bowl his other 3 bowlers cause he didn't feel McDonald could do the job. We can't have that happening again or we will lose our bowlers to injury. So either Ponting has more faith in McDonald striking ability or we get in someone that he will have faith in.

:thumbsu: - True. Mcdonald is a good bowler - but he doesn't have dangerous balls like siddle or hilfy or johnno. That's not to say he can't get wickets, but that he isn't there to take 20 wickets. He is there to stop the runs bleeding.

I like this quote:

When you win the boss - bat. If you are in doubt, think about it - then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague - then bat. - WG Grace

We'll bat if we win, Punter does not like chasing down a target because our record shows if Punter gets out early in the 4th we fold like a deck of cards.

Johnson averages 30 with the bat at test level, I'd rather him at 8 and let him build a longer innings. I just rate Johnson's batting more- and I have watched both players at FC level.

Our no 5 and no 6 batsmen generally being grafters who build an innings its not so much a concern if you bat 8 or 9, generally, the 5 or 6 will still be there.

Slight misconception here. Regardless of their rush of wickets, they were no more back in the game than if we had of declared 1 wicket down. The target to chase and time frame to do so was always going to be about the same.

Very good write up though.:thumbsu:

Yeah fair call… even so it’s a reminder of what they can do (or more to the point, what our batsmen are capable of doing). At the least it dented our confidence. Cheers for the props though :D

There's a difference between being fit and well enough to perform at a high level for 5 days. It's likely that all of our pacemen will have to bowl around 50 overs each for this Test.

good times :thumbsu:

Agreed. Sorry I just don't rate the other two options much- no doubt Maggoffin is decent but that is all he'll be. Geeves is a bit raw and a bit similar to Siddle for mine. I really love watching Hilfy bowl and imo he'd play on one leg and still bowl 110%!:thumbsu:

Thanks for putting that out there.

You can't judge Ronnie's batting ability on the basis of three innings.

Lordy I hope he gets a couple of good scores in this test.

There's a difference between being fit and well enough to perform at a high level for 5 days. It's likely that all of our pacemen will have to bowl around 50 overs each for this Test.

Dear lord if McDonald bowls 50 overs we are done and dusted. Mitch and Siddle will carry the load. Hopefully Hilfy gets 4-5 wickets:thumbsu:

Thanks for putting that out there.

You can't judge Ronnie's batting ability on the basis of three innings.

Lordy I hope he gets a couple of good scores in this test.

How about the fact that in 80 FC games against ordinary attacks half the time he has managed just two hundreds and this comes when Victoria are successful..I rate his bowling as a "tie down an end" type but his batting is not great at test level. That said he has this test and I wish him the best of luck:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back