SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if Narra Warren come into the SFNL in 2025 and go straight into Division 1 I don’t think they will be only new club in the SFNL wouldn’t be surprised if Sandringham come in as well especially if the AFL go with AFL 2s competition comes in as the VFL stand alone clubs might not have a competition to play in.

Well if Narra Warren come into the SFNL in 2025 and go straight into Division 1 I don’t think they will be only new club in the SFNL wouldn’t be surprised if Sandringham come in as well especially if the AFL go with AFL 2s competition comes in as the VFL stand alone clubs might not have a competition to play in.

You would think the afl would fund to some extent a transitional comp for vfl stand alone sides…also wouldn’t sandy just play in the afl 2s comp as saints 2s side? Likewise Casey for the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sandringham aren’t standalone, they’re St Kilda reserves.

You would think the afl would fund to some extent a transitional comp for vfl stand alone sides…also wouldn’t sandy just play in the afl 2s comp as saints 2s side? Likewise Casey for the Dees

If they don’t, I hope the put that “custodians of the game” line to bed

Narre Warren has selected its preferred local footy and netball competition for 2025 and beyond​

June 12, 2024 - 12:48PM​

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league in 2024. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league in 2024.

Narre Warren has picked the Southern Football Netball League as its target for 2025.

Around 70 people attended a Special General Meeting on Tuesday night, where the club updated members of its plan for the future.

Narre Warren plans to take both its football and netball programs from the Outer East Football Netball League to the Southern league.

The club must inform the Outer East league before June 30 and then will have to apply for the Southern league.

The decision follows a failed attempt to join the Mornington Peninsula league this season.

Narre Warren has played in all three of the Outer East league grand finals and won 42 of its past 45 games.

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league.

Club president Peter Lindsay said the SGM “was an update” for members.

“It was pretty straight forward ... we had spoken to both playing groups of what we intended to do,” he said.

“Everyone is comfortable with a move to Southern.

“We’re now at a stage where we’re close to these trigger dates, so we wanted to bring everyone up to speed.

“We’re excited, to be quite honest, we see it as a move that will provide us with greater opportunities.”

Narre Warren celebrate the inaugural Outer East premiership back in 2019. Picture: Josie Hayden

Narre Warren celebrate the inaugural Outer East premiership back in 2019.

Lindsay said the travel involved in the Outer East league was a factor in the decision.

“We’re struggling to keep footballers because of the travel,” he said.

“Footballers would rather play closer to home or closer to town, they see travel as a problem.”

Narre Warren will add sides to the Southern league’s growing netball and under-19s programs.

Great news for the league in my view great facilities and ground and well run club with u/19s will make the league stronger and surely people can’t whinge about travel as they only have to go out to Narre Warren once a year it probably closer than Cranbourne Frankston south Mornington skye and and 5 minutes from endeavour hills Doveton Hampton park well done to the league finally getting good clubs wanting to come to the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news for the league in my view great facilities and ground and well run club with u/19s will make the league stronger and surely people can’t whinge about travel as they only have to go out to Narre Warren once a year it probably closer than Cranbourne Frankston south Mornington skye and and 5 minutes from endeavour hills Doveton Hampton park well done to the league finally getting good clubs wanting to come to the league
Another great get for the league will really put the acid on clubs in D1 to perform with another top club coming to the comp.
What happens in terms of D1 for next year? 2 drop down this year? Premier from D2 stays put in D2 or will D1 next year be 12 teams (least likely scenario)?
Have also heard a whisper Berwick Springs exploring their options too and Southern a potential target, however they would only be D2 at best!

Another great get for the league will really put the acid on clubs in D1 to perform with another top club coming to the comp.
What happens in terms of D1 for next year? 2 drop down this year? Premier from D2 stays put in D2 or will D1 next year be 12 teams (least likely scenario)?
Have also heard a whisper Berwick Springs exploring their options too and Southern a potential target, however they would only be D2 at best!

Too late to spring extra relegations on clubs now I’d say.

I reckon D1 will be 12 teams next year, Narre will go in and the D2 runners up will get offered a spot. If they don’t want it then work your way down D2 til someone says yes, or let the D1 spooner stay in.

Then Berwick Springs go in to D2 to fill the gap.

12/10/8/8

Then following year pushed back to 10/10/10/8 with extra relegations

I reckon D1 will be 12 teams next year, Narre will go in and the D2 runners up will get offered a spot. If they don’t want it then work your way down D2 til someone says yes, or let the D1 spooner stay in.

12/10/8/8

Yes I agree with this actually as I know they prefer the 10 team comp model but you are probably right it’s too late to say 2 down policy.
So the question is:
Does bottom go down (Mordy) or do they get saved by this and stay in with 1 up and Narre (12 teams)
Or
Mordy down, Narre in and the 2 x GFs from D2 come up?

Yes I agree with this actually as I know they prefer the 10 team comp model but you are probably right it’s too late to say 2 down policy.
So the question is:
Does bottom go down (Mordy) or do they get saved by this and stay in with 1 up and Narre (12 teams)
Or
Mordy down, Narre in and the 2 x GFs from D2 come up?

Mordy are going that bad that you’d think they’d offer it to the D2 clubs.

Mordy are going that bad that you’d think they’d offer it to the D2 clubs.

12/10/8/8

Mordi remind me of East Malvern a couple seasons back. A bit of time in Div 2 rebuilding could do wonders for them. East Malvern seem to be on the right path again.

How would 12 teams work re: fixturing? Can't see teams wanting to play 22 games (4 extra). Especially casual 2s players. Anything less and you get an unbalanced fixture which can be a huge issue, considering most seasons have an easy beast team. Would 11 teams be that bad? 20 games with 1 going down. Teams get 2 extra byes throughout the year to go away and have a much earned break.

Mordi remind me of East Malvern a couple seasons back. A bit of time in Div 2 rebuilding could do wonders for them. East Malvern seem to be on the right path again.

How would 12 teams work re: fixturing? Can't see teams wanting to play 22 games (4 extra). Especially casual 2s players. Anything less and you get an unbalanced fixture which can be a huge issue, considering most seasons have an easy beast team. Would 11 teams be that bad? 20 games with 1 going down. Teams get 2 extra byes throughout the year to go away and have a much earned break.

Extra games won’t happen. Too much cost, your revenue doesn’t go up in line with it and it hurts clubs. 18 games is max.

Draw is uneven but that’s hardly unprecedented, clubs and divisions all over the place have uneven draws.

You play 4 teams once and 7 teams twice.

You can split the league into groups of teams based on last seasons results. So at least it’s based on merit.

Group 1) Top 3 + Narre

Group 2) 4th - 7th

Group 3) 8th and 9th and two promoted clubs

Top group and bottom group only play each other once so they don’t get too tough or too easy a run.

Bunk Moreland Its 2 down this season.

Last edited:
Bunk Moreland Its 2 down this season.
2 down has been the word around for sometime. Not against it but there’s not a lot between the 2 battling for 8th - the x2 Demons.

If the 12 team division did eventuate, Mordialloc relegated is a foregone conclusion but the 2 promotions from
Lower division - having watched the top 3 play one another ..Murrumbeena vs Doveton and Murrumbeena v East Malvern I dont think there is an awful amount between the 3 of them…Beena with the top end but battling points and best 22 under 46pts cap will be a battle - either way all 3 are a long way off where East Brighton was positioned 12 months ago and will need to all add 4/5 Real top enders in addition to holding their current top 12-14 to keep afloat in the top flight if the challenge is accepted.

The Narre coup - The head honcho should sit back pat himself and SFNL board team on the back and enjoy a glass of Pinot - this club like what Cranbourne did on arrival will sharpen up this competition…. Make no mistake. the standard has improved but get ready folks the professionalism and stakes are about to rise again.

2 down has been the word around for sometime. Not against it but there’s not a lot between the 2 battling for 8th - the x2 Demons.

If the 12 team division did eventuate, Mordialloc relegated is a foregone conclusion but the 2 promotions from
Lower division - having watched the top 3 play one another ..Murrumbeena vs Doveton and Murrumbeena v East Malvern I dont think there is an awful amount between the 3 of them…Beena with the top end but battling points and best 22 under 46pts cap will be a battle - either way all 3 are a long way off where East Brighton was positioned 12 months ago and will need to all add 4/5 Real top enders in addition to holding their current top 12-14 to keep afloat in the top flight if the challenge is accepted.

The Narre coup - The head honcho should sit back pat himself and SFNL board team on the back and enjoy a glass of Pinot - this club like what Cranbourne did on arrival will sharpen up this competition…. Make no mistake. the standard has improved but get ready folks the professionalism and stakes are about to rise again.
Pretty much spot on on everything you said think east Brighton were a fair bit better than any of the sides this year in Div 2 and Narre are a very professional club who don’t pay huge dollars they have a lot of home grown talent and have lost many players to others clubs for money and others who have gone on to coach many local sides over the years they stick to the same principles and just keep producing good players from their own system and not bringing in to many players chasing $$$

Bentleigh are in a much better position than Chelsea. Yes their seniors aren’t far ahead but, when you add their reserves and 19’s they are streaks ahead.

Pretty much spot on on everything you said think east Brighton were a fair bit better than any of the sides this year in Div 2 and Narre are a very professional club who don’t pay huge dollars they have a lot of home grown talent and have lost many players to others clubs for money and others who have gone on to coach many local sides over the years they stick to the same principles and just keep producing good players from their own system and not bringing in to many players chasing $$$

They are paying at least $130k this year.
Other clubs in gippy have forced them to pay top dollar off players

It will be 2 down 1 up plus NARRE.

They are paying at least $130k this year.
Other clubs in gippy have forced them to pay top dollar off players

It will be 2 down 1 up plus NARRE.

Not sure Narre can afford $130k, but you must be in the know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back