Sky Bet Championship 16/17

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't realise that was the point, thought the point was Wood was the only player the Kiwis were excited by.
Yeah that is what we are discussing. And my point is they value what he is doing in England's second tier more than what Rojas did in Swizterland (possibly because he wasn't on fire) & what he is doing in Australia.

Now whether that's right to do or not is another topic all together

You were saying he scored a goal on his Stuttgart debut which to those who don't know might think that was in the actual Bundesliga when it was actually against a 3rd or 4th tier side in a friendly. He never played in the Bundesliga & saw game time in Switzerland. But like Vidosic didn't see the need to stay there with a pretty good domestic comp to come back to which he knows very well that he is a star in.

Don't disagree with any of that. My point was he scored in his first game for the club which for a player would generally lead to game time, but he suffered a bad injury and was loaned out.

Don't disagree with any of that. My point was he scored in his first game for the club which for a player would generally lead to game time, but he suffered a bad injury and was loaned out.
Yeah look it could be one of those sliding doors moments that defines if a player makes it or not, but many plays come back from injuries. But he didnt really do enough out on loan in the 2nd div to convince anyone there that he'd make it.

My point is now both he and Wood are doing well in their respective leagues but Wood is the one they bang on about in mainstream sport media. That's possibly because of the large UK expat community over here or it could be because they don't treat the A-League with enough respect (possibly because the Phoenix are a basket case). For Rojas to get them going crazy over him again he'll either need to turn it on for them at the Confederations Cup or more back to Europe

Would you say Mooy is getting more local recognition for what he is doing at Huddersfield than he was at Melb City?

Not sure, he and Bruno were on fire last season so there was a lot going gaga over him.

That's good to hear that locally the performing stars are getting as much if not more recognition than those playing in the Championship.

To be honest though I don't watch Fox Sports News that often anymore, but I haven't seen any huge boost. E.g. Luongo barely gets talked about and he's in the Championship. Rogic gets talked about when he scores a wonder goal but not much besides that.

To be honest though I don't watch Fox Sports News that often anymore, but I haven't seen any huge boost. E.g. Luongo barely gets talked about and he's in the Championship. Rogic gets talked about when he scores a wonder goal but not much besides that.
Mooy is getting a lot of coverage on FSN over here. Luongo doesn't because he isn't doing as well.

Mooy is getting a lot of coverage on FSN over here. Luongo doesn't because he isn't doing as well.

Is he? I guess I'm just going off the articles they tweet out, but I don't think I see much more about him than I did last year.

On the actual channel they do. Not sure about articles. Would normally get a call out most weeks on the TV though.

Yeah guess I mean that that's not hugely different to last year when they blew their load over him most weeks.

Yeah guess I mean that that's not hugely different to last year when they blew their load over him most weeks.
I'd say it's mostly because he's actually doing well/maybe that he's owned by Man City? I don't know if that would play a part but you're right that they don't show Luongo much.

Btw, Luongo scored his first league goal for QPR on the weekend. He's played roughly 50 league games for QPR since moving there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say it's mostly because he's actually doing well/maybe that he's owned by Man City? I don't know if that would play a part but you're right that they don't show Luongo much.

Btw, Luongo scored his first league goal for QPR on the weekend. He's played roughly 50 league games for QPR since moving there.
Really surprised he didn't kick on after the Asian Cup. Probably not the best club to move to from Swindon in hindsight.

I guess so, I think there's been a few Aussies pumped up despite playing in the A-League though. Only ones I can really think of who went from little attention to media-fest was Jedinak's move to Palace and subsequent success in PL, and Ryan's move to Valencia.

Actually nothing wrong with QPR, he's just completely under performed there.
Since he signed there less than two years ago he has played under Chris Ramsay, Neil Warnock, JFH & now Holloway. Not the perfect environment for any player with so many different managers/styles over 18-24 months

Since he signed there less than two years ago he has played under Chris Ramsay, Neil Warnock, JFH & now Holloway. Not the perfect environment for any player with so many different managers/styles over 18-24 months

Has to essentially re-prove himself with each of them as well, who likely wouldn't know a whole heap about him.

And yet several players have managed just fine. He's played over 50 league games in 2 seasons, it's not exactly like he's being frozen out. He's just under performing.

And yet several players have managed just fine. He's played over 50 league games in 2 seasons, it's not exactly like he's being frozen out. He's just under performing.
No doubt his performances haven't been good enough. And I'm not saying he hasn't been given chances. Just that its hard to settle into a new club with so much upheaval around him. Especially for a creative player, each manager has a different way of playing which requires different things for someone in his role. A lot easier for a RB for instance to adjust to playing under 4 managers in 1.5 years than a CM imo

No doubt his performances haven't been good enough. And I'm not saying he hasn't been given chances. Just that its hard to settle into a new club with so much upheaval around him. Especially for a creative player, each manager has a different way of playing which requires different things for someone in his role. A lot easier for a RB for instance to adjust to playing under 4 managers in 1.5 years than a CM imo
I don't think he is a particularly creative player anymore. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in 28 games this season. They've got him sitting a bit further back but he's not been particularly creative at all.

I don't think he is a particularly creative player anymore. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in 28 games this season. They've got him sitting a bit further back but he's not been particularly creative at all.
Which is half the problem. His best football with the national side and Swindon was playing as a creative/goal scoring mid

Rojas is good in the A League. That's his level though.
Sorry Jatz didn't realise you were an expert on all european leagues. Then admitted you rarely watch the a-league but are forming a definitive judgment on rojas. He is more than good enough to make it in a good european league. And very unlikely he will be at the victory next season. Same with Troisi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back