Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

North were in no mans land for many years, but they eventually did what they needed to do(3 years late) and culled the list, stop trying to make finals with aging B graders, and hit the draft. They're in a genuine rebuild now after recognising their position. Saints have yet to reach that point, so I'd put them behind North on the premiership clock.

Bingo 👍

The Saints team isn't necessarily a bad team per se, but it's certainly a list that won't amount to a premiership in the next 5 years. Like other posters have said, the Saints will require a genuine rebuild to have a chance of winning a premiership. North Melbourne is certainly closer.

The Saints team isn't necessarily a bad team per se, but it's certainly a list that won't amount to a premiership in the next 5 years. Like other posters have said, the Saints will require a genuine rebuild to have a chance of winning a premiership. North Melbourne is certainly closer.

You sum it up well. However, given the Saints past history one has to wonder that even if they go right back to the drawing board, bottom out a few seasons while rebuilding and then climb the ladder to become premiership contenders that once again circumstances won't go their way and they will miss out on that elusive flag before the window closes once more and its down the ladder and right back to square one.

You sum it up well. However, given the Saints past history one has to wonder that even if they go right back to the drawing board, bottom out a few seasons while rebuilding and then climb the ladder to become premiership contenders that once again circumstances won't go their way and they will miss out on that elusive flag before the window closes once more and its down the ladder and right back to square one.
I really don't think they will for a while. It seems like they believe their list is good enough to contend. It might be enough to make finals off some big Steele and King performances, but unless they unearth some generational players with non-top 5 picks, it just seems like they are delaying the inevitable.

I really don't think they will for a while. It seems like they believe their list is good enough to contend. It might be enough to make finals off some big Steele and King performances, but unless they unearth some generational players with non-top 5 picks, it just seems like they are delaying the inevitable.

Seems like they are in the same position Essendon were last year, in many repects.

Seems like they are in the same position Essendon were last year, in many repects.
Somewhat so, but I'd argue that Essendon holds better young talent and a more optimistic outlook. Maybe this year is just growing pains for a developing side, many teams have them.

I've got zero faith in St Kilda contending for a flag within the next 5 years. I have some in Essendon having that potential in a few years, just need some more games into their young nucleus.

They don’t have enough class, and they know it, which is why they’ll throw a big contract at Degoey.

Problem is that he’s a big risk of blowing his career up at any point.

Tbh I'm pretty sure most said this about Richmond in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely cracking game last night.

Finals level game for 4 quarters. High pressure, every goal well and truly earned, full of highlights, momentum swings early then settled into a dogfight.

Brilliant win!!! Especially with 3 or 4 players going down.

This season might go down to the wire. St Kilda probably needs 4 from 7 to make the 8.

We have 1 game we'll likely lose (Geelong in Geelong). That's probably 25/75. 1 we'll likely win (Haw @ Marvel). That's 80/20. The other 5 I'd rate somewhere in vicinity of 50/50. It should be a helluva ride.

In terms of this thread though. I guess to be objective, you could say, St Kildas had a healthy list this year. Even with a tough fixture, if we finish 6th or 7th with a very healthy list, and a team where most of the best 22 are 26-28, it's hard to see where it's going. Hard to see that 2nd flag any time soon.

Optimistically, our best prospect turns 22 next week. NWM and Windhager have had more impact than any pair of St Kilda rookies in 20 years.

Pessimistically, arguably our most valuable player is 34. And last night probably 14 players were 26 or more and only 3 were 22 or under, so as a collective, hard to see enough improvement to get from 5-8 (realistic best case scenario this year) to top 3 (top 3 have won 46 of the last 50 flags).

North were in no mans land for many years, but they eventually did what they needed to do(3 years late) and culled the list, stop trying to make finals with aging B graders, and hit the draft. They're in a genuine rebuild now after recognising their position. Saints have yet to reach that point, so I'd put them behind North on the premiership clock.
Embarrassing

Embarrassing

What's wrong with that statement? You're a good team this year, but there is almost no chance this list has premiership capabilities. It needs quite a bit of change and a lot more young talent to actually contend. One good win doesn't change that.
One good win lol. The reality is you have no idea about our list, but to make a statement such as North are closer to a flag than us just shows so little clue about football. North right now are further from a flag than anyone, and I'm not trying to rub it in I genuinely feel for them. But your suggestion is just so clueless and embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back