Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

You also had a patchwork forward line with no stars in it at all. A defense that was built around a key back that was unreliable and undisciplined. Things click and turn around very quickly.
Lol
Jake Lever was AA squad at 21. Hibberd AA. Salem a gun. With May that’s a solid group.

Ben Brown kicked more goals than anyone between 2017-2019. He’s a star.

Midfield is the most important tho. Two AA-winning stars and the best ruckman in the AFL.
Carlton, Brisbane, Dees, Dogs and Freo all have better midfields.

going ok is a bit different to elite though innit.

I mean he's playing up the ground, ok great. He's averaging 15 disposals "up the ground".
So he's not getting a lot of the ball, and he's not kicking a lot of goals.

He's a pretty average player. Average isn't bad though, he should feel proud of being a good solid average player in an AFL team.
I agree he isn't elite but he's better than average. He doesn't get credit for all the selfless acts that he does.

0 All Australians, never made the squad even?
Just pipped some guy named Wilkie for third spot in the B&F of a team that didn't make finals last year.
1.5 goals a game, 15 disposals.

You're very generous.
That guy Wilkie kept Fritsch to a single cheap junk time goal when we played. Didn't Fritsch kick 6 in a grand final?

St Kilda, to credit them, have been making the most of their incredibly easy run to start the season. Richmond, Hawks, Suns and Giants all in a row, but they're class (or lack of) showed with a loss to Collingwood in Round 1. Good win against Geelong, but they'll be tested over the coming few weeks. While they should get wins out of the next two (North & Adelaide, although I'm tipping they're 1:1 out of these) they come across a very tough block following: Brisbane (loss), Essendon (50:50), Sydney (loss), Carlton (loss), Dockers (loss), Doggies (loss).

Should be 8/9 from 17 leading up into Round 18. Will need to win two or three of the last four to make finals.

Braindead take.

We've already beat Freo interstate why are we going to lose to them at home? Carlton are flat track bullies with a piss easy draw and we beat Brisbane and Sydney last year so I'm not sure why any of these losses are just locked in?

Or north under brad scott

We made back to back prelims but we were clearly not good enough to seriously challenge for a flag
One very big difference between your 2015 list (the 2nd year you made the prelim) and our current team, and that’s that we’ve only had 1 playing consistently who’s over 30yo in our team, whereas in 2015 you had all of the following:

37yo: Harvey
32yo: Petrie, Waite
31yo: Dal Santo, Firrito
30yo: Wells

So 6 who were 30yo or older to our 1.

Braindead take.

We've already beat Freo interstate why are we going to lose to them at home? Carlton are flat track bullies with a piss easy draw and we beat Brisbane and Sydney last year so I'm not sure why any of these losses are just locked in?
You’re not really taking his post seriously are you!?

Surely the fact he has us losing to Freo (who we best in Perth) at home, and has us 50/50 to beat Essendon tells you that he’s either trolling or so stupid he’s not worth engaging with?

That's not what he's now. 2 goals against a makeshift backline on the weekend. an elite forward would of at least kicked 6 goals.
We beat Dockers at home in round 2, last year we beat Brisbane at home.

St Kilda, to credit them, have been making the most of their incredibly easy run to start the season. Richmond, Hawks, Suns and Giants all in a row, but they're class (or lack of) showed with a loss to Collingwood in Round 1. Good win against Geelong, but they'll be tested over the coming few weeks. While they should get wins out of the next two (North & Adelaide, although I'm tipping they're 1:1 out of these) they come across a very tough block following: Brisbane (loss), Essendon (50:50), Sydney (loss), Carlton (loss), Dockers (loss), Doggies (loss).

Should be 8/9 from 17 leading up into Round 18. Will need to win two or three of the last four to make finals.
I'm sorry, but didn't Carlton just lose to Gold Coast a few weeks ago? The same Gold Coast that also beat Sydney and Freo?

That same Carlton also gave away a 7 goal lead to Hawthorn and scraped home by a measly point.

Carlton have also literally played those exact 4 teams you mentioned. So have they had an easy run?

Theres only really 2 clubs in no mans land at the moment - Collingwood and Essendon.

Both havent ripped the bandaid off yet.

You can categorise every other club as contending, Rebuilding or solid in terms of their lists

So let me get this right...

Unless you're the premiers or you sit dead last you're in no man's land?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saints current list is almost text book definition of no mans land, and finishing 4-6 this year isnt going to do much to help it.

Good win on the weekend against an ailing Geelong, but they did it with third oldest list (behind only Geelong and Richmond).

All things being equal they're no match for the Dee's and Brisbane right now, and the two next in line would appear to be Freo and Carlton who have both amsseed a cluster of elite talent about to enter their prime that will (in my view) see them take that next step from as soon as next year. The Saints by contrast have a couple of player (ie. Max King) that are superstars in the making, and then bunch of B+ footballers. Take Gresham as an example. I hear him talked up so much, and he's having his best season, but he's about to turn 25 and still only averages 23 touches and a goal a game. Not bad, but not ever going to get him anywhere near an AA team.
The 3rd oldest list thing is done to death and people that love to bring it up clearly don't look at our best 25 players, of which only Ryder is over 30. Ross our next closest just turned 29.

2 years ago you could've said a similar thing with Melbourne. Best 22 players at Melbourne 2 years ago were Gawn 30, Jetta 30, Hibberd 30, Jones 32, Melksham 29 etc.
Was literally a good few drafts with Jackson, Pickett, Bowey & Rivers coupled with Oliver & Petracca becoming consistently elite that finally turned the tide.

As for Gresham he's literally missed 2 years of footy with a back and achilles injury, but has shown he can be our best clearance player and also a big goal kicker. He's averaging 23 and 1 goal a game after an achilles rupture. he's had a 35 and 30 goal season before and His current numbers are right up there with some of the best mid/fwds this year.

I'm not sold on us completely yet, but I think there's a lot of upside with a bunch of our 23 & under group. Up and coming Key Defender is probably our only concern.

You scraped over the line against the Hawks and lost to the Suns. If that's an easy run for us what's your excuse?

St Kilda's most important players

Steele
King
Marshall
Ryder
Howard

Others who are pretty important

Wilkie
Gresham
Membrey
Crouch
Sinclair
Jones

Of the first 5 only Ryder is over 26

Of the 2nd group, Membrey and Crouch are 28, Jones and Sinclair 27

If NWM, Windhager, Clark or Coffield can take another big step forward in the next year or 2, and King continues his trajectory towards superstardom, the entire team will lift significantly while most of the core guys are still prime (except Ryder)

St Kilda's most important players

Steele
King
Marshall
Ryder
Howard

Others who are pretty important

Wilkie
Gresham
Membrey
Crouch
Sinclair
Jones

Of the first 5 only Ryder is over 26

Of the 2nd group, Membrey and Crouch are 28, Jones and Sinclair 27

If NWM, Windhager, Clark or Coffield can take another big step forward in the next year or 2, and King continues his trajectory towards superstardom, the entire team will lift significantly while most of the core guys are still prime (except Ryder)

This is good analysis.

i expect Clark will likely surpass both Crouch and Jones in the short term too.

I'm sorry, but didn't Carlton just lose to Gold Coast a few weeks ago? The same Gold Coast that also beat Sydney and Freo?

That same Carlton also gave away a 7 goal lead to Hawthorn and scraped home by a measly point.

Carlton have also literally played those exact 4 teams you mentioned. So have they had an easy run?
What does this thread have to do with Carlton?

What does this thread have to do with Carlton?
The point is, St Kilda has not had a dream run at all compared to other clubs. Carlton included.

They've played 4 top 8 teams, 2 of them top 4.

In fact I don't think there's another side in the top 8 that have played more top 8 sides

St Kilda is also yet to come up against any of the struggling bottom 3 sides.

So it's hard to see how you came to that conclusion.

Last edited:
Steele was incredible that day, he's going to be a big out in the match in 4 weeks. McStay and Daniher are on track to potentially be back for that game too (though we may not bring them back just before the bye).
I'm looking forward to the challenge, Brisbane has gone away over the pre season and changed their game style. Having the ability to play Zorko in either the backline, midfield and forward line is a dangerous prospect.

Lol
Jake Lever was AA squad at 21. Hibberd AA. Salem a gun. With May that’s a solid group.

Midfield is the most important tho. Two AA-winning stars and the best ruckman in the AFL.
Do they though?

Melbourne, yes.
Carlton, yes
Dogs, yes
Brisbane, on par
Freo, better/on par

Remove this Banner Ad

Back