FTA-TV Survivor 44

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't minded this season. I'm glad Josh went though.

There are enough drama queens and other mini-alliances/targets to make it more interesting in upcoming weeks though.

I haven't minded this season. I'm glad Josh went though.

There are enough drama queens and other mini-alliances/targets to make it more interesting in upcoming weeks though.

Yeh same; I’ve been struggling to remember names in recent seasons but not Caroline; her frustration theatrics off camera are funny af

I've long been a US Survivor fan - cant stand the Aus version, but thats another story - but since about S30, maybe a few later and definitely the last half dozen or so, but what has happened with the casting of this show?

I mean for years it was about a mix of age groups and people that loved the outdoors i.e. Malcolm, Rupert, Ozzie or aplha males and females - Boston Rob, Colby, Sandra, Coach, James, Parvati and many others particularly some of the unhinged like Fairplay, Shane Powers who I loved - but nowadays it seems as though Jeff is only interested in celebrating the geeks and misfits and oddballs - some might say the loser types - and certainly only interested in the 20-30 year olds. Therefore anyone mid / late 30's is in the minority and gets nowhere now. On top of that, CBS has said that casts cant be more than 50% white and given the race demographic of the US, it then means that other races are pretty much over-represented. Now I don't care about what colour the cast is, but I do about the types of people case, which current series couldn't be anymore different than say pre-S35.

Not only that, but winners or people that do well in recent seasons have a 'story' or some pathetic sob story which again has nothing to do with what Survivor once was and again in recent years, it has gotten more and more woke and political and pushing issues such as BLM - again, when was that ever a part of Survivor back in its hey day. Add in, how ingratiating current cats members are and we need vignets of pics of when they were kids or whatever sad story / agenda they need to crap on about and again you have to ask, what on earth is with Jeff and casting that we need to celebrate the ' loser' who lets be honest, have never camped in all their lives let alone survived. Don't get me started on reducing the days from 39 to 26 or why there is no empahasis on showing participants fishing, looking for food etc.

I mean why did the show need to change that much to pander to millennials when all you here is they don't watch TV like people aged 40+ do as they binge TV or watch programs on YouTube, Netflix etc. and further, why has Jeff and the casting people ignored those that grew up on S1-say S35 and say screw you, we want to celebrate losers as opposed to buff guys or hot babes.

Crazy thing is that I just love S1-S35 or so and still watch every episode but yet the last 4-5 seasons just make me cringe and the ingratiating self-importance of these loser cast members just does my head in.

End rant but geez, I hope someone out there agrees with me.

I've long been a US Survivor fan - cant stand the Aus version, but thats another story - but since about S30, maybe a few later and definitely the last half dozen or so, but what has happened with the casting of this show?

I mean for years it was about a mix of age groups and people that loved the outdoors i.e. Malcolm, Rupert, Ozzie or aplha males and females - Boston Rob, Colby, Sandra, Coach, James, Parvati and many others particularly some of the unhinged like Fairplay, Shane Powers who I loved - but nowadays it seems as though Jeff is only interested in celebrating the geeks and misfits and oddballs - some might say the loser types - and certainly only interested in the 20-30 year olds. Therefore anyone mid / late 30's is in the minority and gets nowhere now. On top of that, CBS has said that casts cant be more than 50% white and given the race demographic of the US, it then means that other races are pretty much over-represented. Now I don't care about what colour the cast is, but I do about the types of people case, which current series couldn't be anymore different than say pre-S35.

Not only that, but winners or people that do well in recent seasons have a 'story' or some pathetic sob story which again has nothing to do with what Survivor once was and again in recent years, it has gotten more and more woke and political and pushing issues such as BLM - again, when was that ever a part of Survivor back in its hey day. Add in, how ingratiating current cats members are and we need vignets of pics of when they were kids or whatever sad story / agenda they need to crap on about and again you have to ask, what on earth is with Jeff and casting that we need to celebrate the ' loser' who lets be honest, have never camped in all their lives let alone survived. Don't get me started on reducing the days from 39 to 26 or why there is no empahasis on showing participants fishing, looking for food etc.

I mean why did the show need to change that much to pander to millennials when all you here is they don't watch TV like people aged 40+ do as they binge TV or watch programs on YouTube, Netflix etc. and further, why has Jeff and the casting people ignored those that grew up on S1-say S35 and say screw you, we want to celebrate losers as opposed to buff guys or hot babes.

Crazy thing is that I just love S1-S35 or so and still watch every episode but yet the last 4-5 seasons just make me cringe and the ingratiating self-importance of these loser cast members just does my head in.

But wat do you really think

But seriously, I can trace it back to that sexual harassment incident and the show over correcting since on all manner of things.

Personally it hasn’t bothered me but yes the background montages are unnecessary

One thing I do miss are the villains and the big characters like The Hantzs, Coach, and Sandra

But seriously, I can trace it back to that sexual harassment incident and the show over correcting since on all manner of things.

Personally it hasn’t bothered me but yes the background montages are unnecessary

One thing I do miss are the villains and the big characters like The Hantzs, Coach, and Sandra
The other changes that I think have been for the worst is when they went to that final four format. In the past, the winner of that final challenge chose who they sat next to at the end and then it was effectively choose one person and the other two go to fire; I mean winning that final challenge meant something. It now means you can't eliminate the fourth person and then we've had that season where that one person came back from that island despite not playing more than half the season and then winning the season.

The other BS change is the final tribal where it is an open forum for the jury to sit there grandstanding prognosticating on their high horses and seriously influencing the jury, I mean 2 of the past 3 winners are a joke and wouldn't have last two tribals on any of the S1-S35. Just ask your question and sit the **** back down.

I dont see how any real Survivor fan could honestly say these past 7-8 seasons have improved the show on what the real Survivor is or these cast members are in anyway memorable like past players.

As for that one sexual harrassment incident, well I mean Susan blew up in that first all star season when she accused of Hatch of something and it didnt require the whole show changing.

Whoever is doing the casting in order to celebrate the freaks and geeks of the world has lost a lot of hardcore fans. You only need to read some of the US forums to understand that. I am not even sure if any of these current cast members would even know who the likes of Shane Powers and we are just left with these annoying mouth pieces that literally offer zero. I mean Yam Yam has no business being on Suivor; c'mon - at least you had personalities like Co Boi or Woo who awesome to watch. Hell, even Colby as crap as he was, caused chaos and drama.

And then Matt and Yam Yam having a sook tonight HTFU princess and getting sympathy for it - how soft the cast has become and the rest tearing up - geez I miss the old tribals where people blindsided and stabbed each others in the back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why they bother traveling outside the US for it theses days, could easily do it on a Hollywood movie set, becoming so vanilla.

Fiji might be cheap but the variety is gone.
Africa and Australia are still epic seasons all these years later
Iirc they did Africa twice?

Eh, the casting has been fine. They've probably leaned a little too far into the superfan after years of being criticised for picking ppl who had never seen the show and maybe one too many white collar professionals.

But pretty much the only real (and valid) criticism of the show is on the endless supply of idols and twists and not actually letting people play Survivor.

Last night's episode was the perfect encapsulation of that. Over-engineered at every step. Haven't had a 'relationship' on the show in the years, and sure you can take it or leave it, but it would have been far more interesting to see that play out normally rather than cornered into it.

Eh, the casting has been fine. They've probably leaned a little too far into the superfan after years of being criticised for picking ppl who had never seen the show and maybe one too many white collar professionals.

But pretty much the only real (and valid) criticism of the show is on the endless supply of idols and twists and not actually letting people play Survivor.

Last night's episode was the perfect encapsulation of that. Over-engineered at every step. Haven't had a 'relationship' on the show in the years, and sure you can take it or leave it, but it would have been far more interesting to see that play out normally rather than cornered into it.

Post pandemic the casting has dropped off considerably

There is minimal in this list that deserve to carry the coconuts of any pre pandemic

Post pandemic the casting has dropped off considerably

There is minimal in this list that deserve to carry the coconuts of any pre pandemic

I mean take away returnees from 31-40 and you're pretty much left with the same breakdown of players for each season. 1 or 2 really good players. A few in the mid, striving to be good tier. A couple of eccentric ones. And the rest completely forgettable.

Could give you this season, but again the issue is centred around production and not letting alliances, backstabbing etc. grow over the course of a season but rather forcing them to change tact needlessly on a dime.

Casting is pretty good, I think they have just backed themselves into a corner editing wise. If they gave a black woman or a gay latino the kind of edit that Simon got on Australian survivor (great villain edit), they would get cancelled.

I'm interested what newbie casts from 21-40 people who are down on the new era casts think are clearly better?

I'd give you Cagayan and David v Goliath but they're two all time seasons
I think the new casts are far too geeky.

Even so, the problem these days is there’s hardly any game play. It’s all twists and flipped up tricks. There are hardly ever any good tribals, there are no villians, it’s just crying outcasts.

Carolyn is a breath of fresh air as at last they’ve cast a half crazy person again. They used to be cast all the time but hardly at all any more.

It’s got pretty dull and boring. I keep watching but it’s not getting better. They’re killing it.

I think the new casts are far too geeky.

Even so, the problem these days is there’s hardly any game play. It’s all twists and flipped up tricks. There are hardly ever any good tribals, there are no villians, it’s just crying outcasts.

Carolyn is a breath of fresh air as at last they’ve cast a half crazy person again. They used to be cast all the time but hardly at all any more.

It’s got pretty dull and boring. I keep watching but it’s not getting better. They’re killing it.
Spot on 👍
More like a game show 😞

Remove this Banner Ad

Back