Preview Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn, Friday June 11 @ the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, Gulden and Campbell are not injured at all. They both reported some general leg soreness and the club decided to be ultra cautious with them. "Stress reaction" isn't really a genuine injury. Nearly everyone in the comp has "stress injuries". It's a bit of a joke really.

I don't know why we even listen to doctors.

As I understand it, Gulden and Campbell are not injured at all. They both reported some general leg soreness and the club decided to be ultra cautious with them. "Stress reaction" isn't really a genuine injury. Nearly everyone in the comp has "stress injuries". It's a bit of a joke really.

You’re looking for stress fraction, not stress reaction. Gulden and Campbell aren’t missing games due to being stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re looking for stress fraction, not stress reaction. Gulden and Campbell aren’t missing games due to being stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stress fraction? Is that even a thing? Google brings up nothing. Stress fracture is a thing, but it's not what these boys have. They literally got sore in the shin and foot respectively, and the club wrapped them up in cotton wool just in case. The reasoning was that their bodies were reacting to the intensity ("stress") of AFL football, so they were given an extended rest. From everything I've heard, it doesn't sound like they have traditional injuries that show up on scans.

And it's fair enough. They're first year players and the plan is obviously to ease them into it, but this "stress injuries" nonsense is kinda misleading and ridiculous.

Thats exactly why I'd write him off to be honest. If his best was in his 5 years at Brisbane, and he wasn't in their best 22 in his final year, then why all of a sudden after a year of not doing anything for us, we should expect him to being able to perform at AFL level? I really do think he's a VFL player hey. Probably one of the best but not quite good enough for AFL.
Because he's been working his arse off in the ECFL and deserves to be given a chance when opportunity knocks!
What sort of message do you think it sends when players like Taylor and Clarke are consistently in the best players but are overlooked because "well they were no good last year so let's not bother".
He's put in the work, he's obviously doing what the coaches are asking of him, so why shouldn't he get rewarded?

Stress fraction? Is that even a thing? Google brings up nothing. Stress fracture is a thing, but it's not what these boys have. They literally got sore in the shin and foot respectively, and the club wrapped them up in cotton wool just in case. The reasoning was that their bodies were reacting to the intensity ("stress") of AFL football, so they were given an extended rest. From everything I've heard, it doesn't sound like they have traditional injuries that show up on scans.

And it's fair enough. They're first year players and the plan is obviously to ease them into it, but this "stress injuries" nonsense is kinda misleading and ridiculous.

A fracture can come from a stress fracture which can come from a hot spot all of which arises from bone overloading injuries- overwork. If I read correctly Warner had a hot spot. Campbell had shin splints and Gulden was a foot stress fracture. overuse overload injuries can't be ignored else it ends poorly.

A fracture can come from a stress fracture which can come from a hot spot all of which arises from bone overloading injuries- overwork. If I read correctly Warner had a hot spot. Campbell had shin splints and Gulden was a foot stress fracture. overuse overload injuries can't be ignored else it ends poorly.
What's the go with all these overload injuries tho? Is the training load too high? Players should be prepped to be ready for playing out games. What's the point of rigorous training if it means they get to a point where they can't play.

What's the go with all these overload injuries tho? Is the training load too high? Players should be prepped to be ready for playing out games. What's the point of rigorous training if it means they get to a point where they can't play.
You're asking it like it's not first year players expected to play at senior level that we're discussing (which Gulden, Campbell and effectively Warner are).

I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe Campbell we played as sub when we shouldn't have. Other than that, Gulden made it through 8 games, Warner 12 in a row. Gulden might have tried to push through for longer, he's not an experienced player, maybe felt pain and he didn't raise it enough. Who knows.

Last edited:

All young guys. I don't imagine it's that uncommon for players in their first year or two to still be getting used to the workloads.

I have no problem with giving them a rest, but seriously, shin splints? Isn't that a perfectly normal reaction to an increase in workload associated with playing AFL? He's just going to get them again when he returns to full training/playing. It's hardly a "real" injury worthy of 6+ weeks out. I mean, jeez. They really need to toughen him up if a shin splint causes such problems.

And does Warner's "hot spot" mean we won't see him again for 10 weeks?

We have previously lamented the idea of playing blokes who were injured. Now we're managing them and we're doing something wrong...?

This is what having decent depth and a healthy list affords you. We've been able to give Buddy, Rampe, McCartin, Heeney among others little one week spells for minor reasons that in previous years we'd have to just watch them play through. Or they'd injure it further and be gone for two months.

As long as the list stays in it's current shape, Warner won't be the last one getting a week off between now and (hopefully) the finals.

We have previously lamented the idea of playing blokes who were injured. Now we're managing them and we're doing something wrong...?

This is what having decent depth and a healthy list affords you. We've been able to give Buddy, Rampe, McCartin, Heeney among others little one week spells for minor reasons that in previous years we'd have to just watch them play through. Or they'd injure it further and be gone for two months.

As long as the list stays in it's current shape, Warner won't be the last one getting a week off between now and (hopefully) the finals.
How long is Warner's 1 week rest going to stretch out to tho? We'll probably get the update that it's a further 5 weeks on the Wednesday after the bye, like clockwork

How long is Warner's 1 week rest going to stretch out to tho? We'll probably get the update that it's a further 5 weeks on the Wednesday after the bye, like clockwork

If you want to play guessing games then sure. Or you could just look at our record with resting players this year and their return the following week. Buddy, McCartin, Heeney, Hickey, McInerney, Fox have all had one week rests for minor injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to play guessing games then sure. Or you could just look at our record with resting players this year and their return the following week. Buddy, McCartin, Heeney, Hickey, McInerney, Fox have all had one week rests for minor injuries.

I played sport and ran with shin splints. Once you get going it is not too bad. Of course I ended up splitting that tibia.

Give them a rest.

Well that's a load of tosh IMO.

Tend to agree with Caesar88 we have just about handled injury mgt perfectly this year. These young kids especially we need to rest them to be around for long term so I'm actually pleased when I see these rests and recharge. What we did in weeks 1-3 with fresh young kids all jumping out of their skins was simply amazing. I have visions of something like that happening just as we enter finals and making a run to premiership defeating all in our path.

Overloading injury can occur in any occupations. Waiters and bar people experience this a lot on different parts of the body. Lower back, feet, ankles, hips, neck. With a waiter it is the fact they walk between 10 & 20 kilometres every session. Not only that they are carry often times very heavy plates out front of body. Repetitive motion causes these injuries more often then not. Let's face it Aussie Rules is certainly repetitive especially the way it has been coached up until recently.

Younger, underdeveloped bodies are going to suffer from these injuries far more than stronger more developed bodies that have been doing the same things for years at the same pressure and pace. That is the key. Pressure and pace. The strain becomes greater the more pressure and the faster the pace. Players who are just getting used to this are more susceptible.

It was the same with a new young waiter who suddenly went from Banquets, hard on the body, to Ala Carte, absolutely ruinous on the body. The pace, vigilance, workload picks up even though it seems to be far more layback. While Banquets is killing work Ala Carte is the thinking person's job, not only physically demanding but intellectually demanding. Have you ever tried to remember the characteristics of 300 wines or the taste sensations of a 35 dish menu? Not to mention Cognac, liqueurs and other alcohol.

So if they are having stress injury. Definitely rest them. Most of my old age maladies with spine, discs, inflammatory bowel, knee, feet, sacroiliac etc can be put down to overload or stress related injury that was never fixed

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Players are human not robots ffs. Injuries occur no matter the amount of training or monitoring. Monitoring is done to help lessen the likelihood of injuries and its severity, it doesn't guarantee injuries won't occur.

It's part of life, get over it. Injuries won't magically disappear and not occur. This isn't fantasy land.

If it's 5 weeks then so be it, it is what it is. Our medical and coaching staff aren't purposely saying players are injured when they aren't. They all want them to play if they're fit and able to contribute.

Tend to agree with Caesar88 we have just about handled injury mgt perfectly this year. These young kids especially we need to rest them to be around for long term so I'm actually pleased when I see these rests and recharge. What we did in weeks 1-3 with fresh young kids all jumping out of their skins was simply amazing. I have visions of something like that happening just as we enter finals and making a run to premiership defeating all in our path.
You mean like the Bulldogs in 2016? The trouble is, unlike the #bravedogs, we're only allowed 18 men on the field, not 21.

What?? Stress reaction is the forerunner to a stress fracture. It's a very clear-cut finding on a scan. It's catching it before an actual fracture, so the rcovery time is much less, and likelihood of recurrence is less. Stress reaction is absolutely a genuine injury. So, you misunderstand it.

What?? Stress reaction is the forerunner to a stress fracture. It's a very clear-cut finding on a scan. It's catching it before an actual fracture, so the rcovery time is much less, and likelihood of recurrence is less. Stress reaction is absolutely a genuine injury. So, you misunderstand it.

Like I said, I don't mind giving them a rest. It just seems a bit long for "stress reactions". Campbell gets shin splints, so he's out for 6+ weeks? That sounds a bit excessive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back