Team of the Century 1960- now

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have to disagree with this Akermanis had the best footskills from 2000-2015.
Daicos played in an era of mud heaps and water logged footys and still had better skills. Aker played in the era of Docklands and new footballs in bins waiting to be used once one had been kicked over the fence. Not to mention that not just on skills but Peter Daicos was a better footballer then Aker anyway.

Daicos played in an era of mud heaps and water logged footys and still had better skills. Aker played in the era of Docklands and new footballs in bins waiting to be used once one had been kicked over the fence. Not to mention that not just on skills but Peter Daicos was a better footballer then Aker anyway.
Bit of moisture in qld though.

It's all about flags.

If Gawn, Petracca and Oliver are instrumental in winning more flags they'll sit comfortably in any company.

Petracca and Oliver are just entering their prime.

But I agree. Melbourne's best team of recent decades is rubbish.
They could be genuine generation players, Gawn already a top 5 ruckman of all time imo.

There's some strange takes in this thread that I can only assume are from people who never saw some of the players they're omitting.

Aker was a good footballer but if you are looking for supreme foot skills Daicos and Darren Jarman easily have him covered. Peter Matera also.

Knocks on Ablett Snr's athleticism versus modern players also ridiculous. This is a bloke that was lightning and could jump over a bus if he wanted to. I recall someone anecdotally telling me that in some early sports science testing his short twitch fibres were just freakishly off the chart. Like an entire standard deviation ahead of the next best bloke they tested.

When you contemplated the fact that he spent most of the week fishing, hunting and enjoying an array of Geelong hospitality venues for a drink you can only barely contemplate how good he might have been in a modern environment with full time staff, minders, gym programs etc.

There's some strange takes in this thread that I can only assume are from people who never saw some of the players they're omitting.

Aker was a good footballer but if you are looking for supreme foot skills Daicos and Darren Jarman easily have him covered. Peter Matera also.

Knocks on Ablett Snr's athleticism versus modern players also ridiculous. This is a bloke that was lightning and could jump over a bus if he wanted to. I recall someone anecdotally telling me that in some early sports science testing his short twitch fibres were just freakishly off the chart. Like an entire standard deviation ahead of the next best bloke they tested.

When you contemplated the fact that he spent most of the week fishing, hunting and enjoying an array of Geelong hospitality venues for a drink you can only barely contemplate how good he might have been in a modern environment with full time staff, minders, gym programs etc.
w/o doubt the most gifted to have played the game and whats even more impressive is Snr didnt waste the gifts presented.
hed be on 2 mil + a season playing today,Matthews n Carey would be on about 1.7 ,KB bout 1.4 & Daicos about a mil

So many people taking Jesaulenko out of the original team and replacing him with a fresh new face.
Ask anyone who watched the man play, they will say he goes down as one of the best ever.

Who plays as a defender for half a season before moving forward for the finals and proceeds to kick 14 goals across back-to-finals (7 in the grannie) against a powerful Richmond side of that era?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back