the 2 teams to play off in the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

As a wise man once said, this season sucks. Unless Richmond wins; then it's brilliant.

Richmond is the only club that can legitimise this year's comp by making it three flags in four years, and the AFL should be doing everything in its power to make it happen.
So i ask you this if it was the other way around and all the non-Victorian clubs all had to hub in Victoria and Rich got all its games at the MCG would you say * then? Prob not you guys would be gloating to the hill?

As a wise man once said, this season sucks. Unless Richmond wins; then it's brilliant.

Richmond is the only club that can legitimise this year's comp by making it three flags in four years, and the AFL should be doing everything in its power to make it happen.
The afl have gifted richmond for the last 3 years

The short rest between games is only a disadvantage if your opponent gets a long break. It's all relative.

Geelong have played 4-5 days on from their previous game, but so did their opponents!
The Cats enjoyed an extra day's rest when they flogged a tired St Kilda who played 4 days prior.

Geelong face Port tonight who've had an extra 2 days rest, but that's the first time that's happened.
It's not as though Port are "well rested" either. They're the ones who are travelling and they've also played 3 games in the past fortnight.
The Cats had an easy training drill vs the tired young Saints. Port played an epic 4 qtr battle vs the reigning premiers.

If you want to compare fixtures between Geelong and Hawks

Geelong
3 games with home advantage (Haw, Carl, Suns)
4 games with away disadvantage (GWS, Freo, WCE, Adel)
6 games on neutral turf (Melb, Bris, Coll, NM, StK, Port)

Hawthorn
1 game with home advantage (Bris)
6 games with away disadvantage (Geel, GWS, Syd, Freo, WCE, Port)
5 games on neutral turf (Rich, NM, Coll, Melb, Carl)

Games where one team had less than 7 days to prepare:

Geel 6 v Suns 7
Geel 5 v Bris 5
Geel 7 v Coll 6
Geel 5
v WCE 6
Geel 4 v NM 4
Geel 5 v StK 4
Geel 4
v Port 6

Haw 6 v Rich 7
Haw 6 v GWS 8
Haw 5 v Coll 7
Haw 6 v Syd 7
Haw 6 v Carl 6
Haw 6 v WCE 7
Haw 6 v Port 8

The Hawks were drawn to play the Top 5 sides from 2019 in the first 6 rounds (and away games scheduled vs Swans, Freo, WCE and Port)
Not once do we get the advantage of meeting a tired team coming off an short week. Not once.

#freekickhawthorn :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

#CoffeeWithGill :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Yeah, this is why Hawthorn suck.

tldr alert

Thanks for explaining why the best of the Melb based sides enjoy the advantages each year. A regular conversation that often is dismissed and I've no idea why.

The #1 #2 ranked Melb sides each year enjoy an outright favouritism in 17-18 games without the difficulties of interstate travel working against them.
Conversely, the worst Melb based sides have the difficulties of the draw working against them with few opportunities to have an advantage over interstate opponents.

Non Vic teams will always have to overcome 10 games of interstate travel thereby losing some games they would otherwise be favourites for, and 10 games of home ground advantage winning some games that ordinarily be outsiders for.

All things being equal, Melb based sides will gravitate to each end of the ladder and non Vic teams towards the middle.

Statistical evidence lies in the best ever H&A seasons in the AFL era.
Best 5 are ALL Vic based clubs
Geelong 2008 Essendon 2000 21-1
Collingwood 2011 St Kilda 2009 Carlton 1995 20-2

Add
Hawthorn 19-3 2013
North Melbourne 17-5 1999
Richmond 18-4 2018

Bulldogs 15 and Melbourne 14 the only outlier

Geelong with another two 19 and one 18 win season also
Essendon with another 18 win season also
Collingwood with another 17 1/2 win season also
Hawthorn with another 18-4 season also

Compare with best evers for
Adelaide 17-5 2005
Brisbane 17-5 2001/2
Fremantle 17-5 2015
Port Adelaide 18-4 2002/3
Sydney 17-5 2014/16
West Coast 19-3 1991, next best 17-5
3 seasons combined with more than 17 wins (and none ended in a premiership sadly enough)

So 13 of the best 16 H&A seasons belong to Vic clubs. Fairly compelling statistics unless you just choose to ignore them as irrelevant which I'm sure most will.

Now when you add the home state advantage that comes with a fixture lists that favours finishing higher, and a guaranteed home state grand final, the dice is clearly loaded in Vic clubs favour in a normal year.

So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the hard done by Vics (football wise, the Covid is a tragedy and I'm really hoping things come through asap there)
Interesting you mentioned Richmond 2018 which saw us finish on top 2 games clear and subsequently play our 2 finals against fellow mcg clubs and enjoy no home ground advantage. Has this or could this ever happen to an interstate team?

So i ask you this if it was the other way around and we all had to hub in Victoria and Rich got all its games at the MCG would you say * then? Prob not you guys would be gloating to the hill
Would I take it? Yes of course, would I look at it the same way as 2019 or 2017? Not a chance.
Kudos to any team that wins it this year however some teams have had greater hurdles to overcome than others, mainly the Victorian teams. Hell I hate Collingwood and Geelong however if either won it I would dip my lid to them as it would be a very hard earned flag.

The short rest between games is only a disadvantage if your opponent gets a long break. It's all relative.

Geelong have played 4-5 days on from their previous game, but so did their opponents!
The Cats enjoyed an extra day's rest when they flogged a tired St Kilda who played 4 days prior.

Geelong face Port tonight who've had an extra 2 days rest, but that's the first time that's happened.
It's not as though Port are "well rested" either. They're the ones who are travelling and they've also played 3 games in the past fortnight.
The Cats had an easy training drill vs the tired young Saints. Port played an epic 4 qtr battle vs the reigning premiers.

If you want to compare fixtures between Geelong and Hawks

Geelong
3 games with home advantage (Haw, Carl, Suns)
4 games with away disadvantage (GWS, Freo, WCE, Adel)
6 games on neutral turf (Melb, Bris, Coll, NM, StK, Port)

Hawthorn
1 game with home advantage (Bris)
6 games with away disadvantage (Geel, GWS, Syd, Freo, WCE, Port)
5 games on neutral turf (Rich, NM, Coll, Melb, Carl)

Games where one team had less than 7 days to prepare:

Geel 6 v Suns 7
Geel 5 v Bris 5
Geel 7 v Coll 6
Geel 5
v WCE 6
Geel 4 v NM 4
Geel 5 v StK 4
Geel 4
v Port 6

Haw 6 v Rich 7
Haw 6 v GWS 8
Haw 5 v Coll 7
Haw 6 v Syd 7
Haw 6 v Carl 6
Haw 6 v WCE 7
Haw 6 v Port 8

The Hawks were drawn to play the Top 5 sides from 2019 in the first 6 rounds (and away games scheduled vs Swans, Freo, WCE and Port)
Not once do we get the advantage of meeting a tired team coming off an short week. Not once.

#freekickhawthorn :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

#CoffeeWithGill :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:
Ah yes

Hawthorn

Grand Final to be played between WCE and Brisbane at the MCG in the Corona Cup, played in front of 98 people. There will be extra rotations allowed for players coming on and off ventilators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol Geelong will have to win more than one final in order to get to their first grand final in 9 years.
We always look a million dollars around this stage of the season.

Collingwood are a bogey team. They have had injuries all year but are doing enough to get the wins.
Their best footy will come on eve of finals.

lol Geelong will have to win more than one final in order to get to their first grand final in 9 years.
We always look a million dollars around this stage of the season.

Collingwood are a bogey team. They have had injuries all year but are doing enough to get the wins.
Their best footy will come on eve of finals.

Your a chance if you don’t play home games against the tigers at the MCG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

tldr alert

Thanks for explaining why the best of the Melb based sides enjoy the advantages each year. A regular conversation that often is dismissed and I've no idea why.

The #1 #2 ranked Melb sides each year enjoy an outright favouritism in 17-18 games without the difficulties of interstate travel working against them.
Conversely, the worst Melb based sides have the difficulties of the draw working against them with few opportunities to have an advantage over interstate opponents.

Non Vic teams will always have to overcome 10 games of interstate travel thereby losing some games they would otherwise be favourites for, and 10 games of home ground advantage winning some games that ordinarily be outsiders for.

All things being equal, Melb based sides will gravitate to each end of the ladder and non Vic teams towards the middle.

Statistical evidence lies in the best ever H&A seasons in the AFL era.
Best 5 are ALL Vic based clubs
Geelong 2008 Essendon 2000 21-1
Collingwood 2011 St Kilda 2009 Carlton 1995 20-2

Add
Hawthorn 19-3 2013
North Melbourne 17-5 1999
Richmond 18-4 2018

Bulldogs 15 and Melbourne 14 the only outlier

Geelong with another two 19 and one 18 win season also
Essendon with another 18 win season also
Collingwood with another 17 1/2 win season also
Hawthorn with another 18-4 season also

Compare with best evers for
Adelaide 17-5 2005
Brisbane 17-5 2001/2
Fremantle 17-5 2015
Port Adelaide 18-4 2002/3
Sydney 17-5 2014/16
West Coast 19-3 1991, next best 17-5
3 seasons combined with more than 17 wins (and none ended in a premiership sadly enough)

So 13 of the best 16 H&A seasons belong to Vic clubs. Fairly compelling statistics unless you just choose to ignore them as irrelevant which I'm sure most will.

Now when you add the home state advantage that comes with a fixture lists that favours finishing higher, and a guaranteed home state grand final, the dice is clearly loaded in Vic clubs favour in a normal year.

So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the hard done by Vics (football wise, the Covid is a tragedy and I'm really hoping things come through asap there)
Didums. Did the bad, bad AFL only give your widdle club a 4 game head start over big bad Wichmond?
How are you possible supposed to compete?

As long as it's held in WA, WC are in it and they lose, we all win.

The classic mindset of a richmond supporter right here. Absolutely obsessed with west coast for no apparent reason.
I'm surrounded by WC supporters. Half of which never shut the * up. This would go some way to shutting them the * up.

And if I'm obsessed with any team other than Richmond it's the pies.

I just want some peace mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back