Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
The SCG has grandstands named for Rugby League legends - Dally Messenger and Clive Churchill. Several other stands are named for past cricketers (Bradman, Noble, O'Reilly, Trumper). But we're a big part of the SCG too, our sport deserves recognition alongside the others. And what better person to be honoured with a grandstand than Adam Goodes.

And there's an easy rename available too - the Brewongle Stand was named after a 19th century tea stand which was named for a pastoral property near Bathurst. That's cute and all, but obscure and antiquated. It's a perfect opportunity to better embed the Swans at our newly locked-in-for-decades home ground. We can do it without stepping on other legends' legacies. And we can honour Sydney-era football's greatest champion at the ground he did most of his best work.

No-brainer, really.

I don't think there's much of a need for that. They have real history there too, even if they're mostly across the way at the other SCG Trust ground these days. i think it's very Sydney that - unlike the MCG - we would have stuff named for sportspeople from multiple sports. Getting our best champion recognised in that crowd would be a great honour.

I don't think there's much of a need for that. They have real history there too, even if they're mostly across the way at the other SCG Trust ground these days. i think it's very Sydney that - unlike the MCG - we would have stuff named for sportspeople from multiple sports. Getting our best champion recognised in that crowd would be a great honour.

Great Southern and Olympic were great footballers. What are you on about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been a Brewongle stand there since the 1880s. In favour of someone like Goodes being honoured like that but not by replacing the Brewongle name.

The SCG has grandstands named for Rugby League legends - Dally Messenger and Clive Churchill.
Do they still play any rugby (league or union) at the SCG? Or is it all at Allianz next door?

Oh - and I absolutely support renaming the Brewongle to the Goodes Stand.

Because it's been named that for 137 odd years. We've lost too much history etc from developers in Sydney, esp the inner city and west. I just don't see a need to change the name. There's been over 1300 league games at the SCG since the early 1900s and people are complaining about league greats names on stands. Tradition, history. That's all.

Because it's been named that for 137 odd years. We've lost too much history etc from developers in Sydney, esp the inner city and west. I just don't see a need to change the name. There's been over 1300 league games at the SCG since the early 1900s and people are complaining about league greats names on stands. Tradition, history. That's all.

People aren't complaining about league names on stands. The OP chose the Brewongle Stand because it's the one not named after a former player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back