The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of overthinking going on in this forum - but I'll just add to it, with some stats:
View attachment 225106

At 27, he should be coming into his prime. If you measure his performance primarily on scoring output, he has regressed. Our recruiting team's failure to land a decent tall forward / lack of forward depth has been his only saving grace.

If you say he shouldn't be measured solely on scoring performance, what other KPI could be of greater importance for a side that repeatedly has been unable to reach its stated aim of scoring 100 pts per game?

His pre-season has done nothing to make me think he's about to turn things around to his 2012/13 form - I think he needs a spell in the WAFL to rediscover his mojo.

Medium sized full time forwards are pretty scarce in the AFL for a reason - they're generally not as nimble as small forwards & big enough to be key forwards. There are only a few - Higgins 186cm scored 39 goals last season; Lynch 191cm 32 goals & Breust 184cm 52 goals - their scoring is comparable to Mayne in his 'glory years' of 2012/13.

Come on Shane Yarran - please get fit quickly & find some form !
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=&Compare=Compare&PlayerName1=&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=2023,1818,

Here's the third tall of our best opponent.
2015: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2015&Compare=Compare&PlayerName1=&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=2023,1818,
2014: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2014&Compare=Compare&PlayerName1=&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=2023,1818,
2013: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2014&Compare=Compare&PlayerName1=&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=2023,1818,

Half as many tackles, but it seems to be raining goals

I'm not discounting how much better Gunston is and how much more he scores. The players are obviously working in different systems with Hawks being more attacking and us being more defensive which wouldn't help Chop.

It's surprising to me that Gunston is averaging 1 more possession a game (Gunston 14.5, Mayne 13.5), 0.9 goals a game (Gunston 2.1, Mayne 1.2) & 1 mark a game (Gunston 5.7, Mayne 4.7) more than Mayne.

Maynes got him by 1.9 tackles a game (Gunston 2, Mayne 3.9) which isn't so surprising given the role he plays.

Big gap to close, but, Mayne isn't that far off in most of the areas. He's doing alright.

Edit: Referencing your first link. Haven't looked at the others.

Have you run the same comparison across all of our forwards? Who would have guessed that none of our players stack up against the forwards from the best forward line in the AFL?

And? Isn't that the point? We're trying to bridge the gap to beat the best...

And? Isn't that the point? We're trying to bridge the gap to beat the best...
Yes but who is on our list that stacks up against Hawthorn's forwards that can replace our current forwards? It's like saying other teams should drop all their midfielders because they don't stack up to Fyfe. If you have a realistic solution to upgrade our forward line personnel I am all ears. But comparing random players to the absolute best in the league doesn't achieve much.

Yes but who is on our list that stacks up against Hawthorn's forwards that can replace our current forwards? It's like saying other teams should drop all their midfielders because they don't stack up to Fyfe. If you have a realistic solution to upgrade our forward line personnel I am all ears. But comparing random players to the absolute best in the league doesn't achieve much.
I don't get is if hawks can deal with Hale retire and roughead injury and replace them with inexperience afl player what the big deal to let our youngster to gain experience and try something new , Mayne is still best 22 for home and away , but what the harm to trial new player just in case he is injured during final series and worried about getting him back too soon.

Because we don't have forwards who've retired or been injured?

Why would we drop an experienced forward who is doing their job for a youngster "just in case"?

We aren't playing for nothing here. We'll be aiming for top four and a crack at the GF again.

New kids might push their way into the team with outstanding Peel performance or a form slump of best 22 players, but, you don't just drop people for fun and what ifs.

Because we don't have forwards who've retired or been injured?

Why would we drop an experienced forward who is doing their job for a youngster "just in case"?

We aren't playing for nothing here. We'll be aiming for top four and a crack at the GF again.

New kids might push their way into the team with outstanding Peel performance or a form slump of best 22 players, but, you don't just drop people for fun and what ifs.
You win Mayne play every round .

You know Zac Dawson once kicked eight goals in a single game playing for Box Hill Hawks.

Haha think I may have heard that and that he has played ruck as well. Imagine all the floaters that must have just got over the line!

Last edited:
Haha think I may have heard that and that he has played ruck as well. Imagine all the floaters that must have just got over the line!
Dawss has played I think a half for the Dockers in the ruck at a game a couple of years ago at Domain and did well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawss has played I think a half for the Dockers in the ruck at a game a couple of years ago at Domain and did well.
Yep. 2013 when Sandi was injured, the game Griff did his knee, Daws stood up & helped with the ruck duties

Personally I still believe in Mayne. While his kicking performance is frequently hit and miss, those crunching tackles of his are anything but. Each HTB decision he wins up forward is worth just as much as a contested mark, because the end result is the same: ball in hand and unobstructed disposal, often within scoring distance. Even if he doesn't get the HTB decision, the referred pressure he creates in defenders minds, IMO directly leads to poorer decisions and rushed disposal on their part. When playing against a team that scores heavily from transition / turnovers, that's worth its weight in gold.

Mayne has NEVER been a tall forward to my mind - he's a mid sized forward at best who's had to play tall for years now partially through necessity; but if my hopes are right, and Tabs is about to start putting it all together more consistently, then Mayne could be a very damaging third forward option playing off the bench and rotating with Yarren (I don't see those two as an either/or proposition - given their respective strengths, I think they'd be FAR more damaging playing as a pair.)

Mayne will never be the great white hope, and his goal-kicking yips are utterly maddening I grant you... but he is still an asset, and should still be considered best 22 until someone else proves they deserve that forward spot more than him.

Do you reckon Shane Yarran is doubly spewing about his injury right now .....
Absolutely. If he had any sort of a pre-season surely we would have to make the change. Not sure we have anybody to replace him at the minute but you have your head in the sand if you can't see this bloke needs a spell in the magoos.

Still can't believe his goal was overturned. The umpire said he thought it was a goal. No way from that video replay could you 100% say it hit the post to overturn the umpires call.
Agreed. Still, should have sailed through goal post height and twenty rows back.

Still can't believe his goal was overturned. The umpire said he thought it was a goal. No way from that video replay could you 100% say it hit the post to overturn the umpires call.
He should have just kicked it through the middle instead. Chris Mayne, you can rely on him to deflate the momentum when we need it the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back