The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayney was hugging every player after the game and had a tear in the eye. That was the last game we will see from him at Freo I reckon, however he didn't cop the PowerAde shower in the circle during the song. He tried his guts out in that game, but that kick over Pav's head at the Subiaco end of the ground cost us a goal. Sorry Mayney, but your gone.

A few of our guys overcooked that final kick, he wasn't the only one.

Yep. The whole quarter involved players trying to get the ball to Pav, even when the option really wasn't there.

There was one passage of play when Ballas ignored Walters 30m in the clear to kick to Pav in a contest. I get that. It was more the overcooked kicks that were straight over heads that I was flagging.

Fanta Pants was adamant a while ago on Pee Argh that Mayne to North is "DONE".

Which to be frank, is great for us, but I'd have to question WTF North are thinking? It's like they've not watched him play since 2013

I have been thinking the same thing. My partner works with Mayne on one of his roles outside of football and the North deal was on the cards mid season. However with North now clearly rebuilding and sacking Harvey, Dal Santo, etc., I wonder if they might backtrack on the 3 year offer? Mayne's form hasn't helped either.

However given the emotion he showed yesterday, maybe it's already a done deal.

I have been thinking the same thing. My partner works with Mayne on one of his roles outside of football and the North deal was on the cards mid season. However with North now clearly rebuilding and sacking Harvey, Dal Santo, etc., I wonder if they might backtrack on the 3 year offer? Mayne's form hasn't helped either.

However given the emotion he showed yesterday, maybe it's already a done deal.
I hope he goes to North on a massive packet, but can deals really be "done" (signed) mid-season? Surely there is nothing stopping a club or player agreeing verbally to a freeagent move, then either party changing their mind come season end.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/fremantle-dockers/fremantles-mayne-forward-considering-offers-from-up-to-four-rival-clubs
Fremantle free agent Chris Mayne will consider offers to continue his AFL career from as many as four Victorian-based clubs when he informs Dockers management this week he wants to leave.
He appears set for a handsome new deal of up to four years which should earn Fremantle an important draft pick as compensation, probably an early second round selection.
Early second round pick?! :eek:
driving mayney to the airport part 1.PNG
driving mayney to the airport part 2.PNG driving mayne to the airport part 3.PNG driving mayney to the airport part 4.PNG

Cya Mayney. It's been real. It's been good.

Just hasn't been, real good.

Last edited:
I think it's time for Mayne to go but he deserves better than what he's getting in this thread.

It's a shame he lost his 2013 kicking boots. His 4th quarter goal was the difference in that QF in Geelong. I thought he was also stiff not to get the RG medal in the 2nd derby that year. He was immense that gane.

Despite his shortcomings, I always felt he gave heart and soul to the team every game. It will be strange seeing him in a different jumper, I think he will do well in another team where he isn't required to do the heavy lifting as much and have better delivery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he sets himself up for the rest of his life and Fremantle are awarded a FA Compensation pick fairly, it can be a win for everyone.

A life member, worked his butt off for the team on and off the field.

Hopefully the subject of another free agency compensation shake up next season after Buddy's pick #19 is compared to his pick as if all other factors are equal.

Interesting listening to the ABC today with Duffield and Haselby. Basically confirmed again that North Melbourne are the favourites (it cant be signed at this stage) but a couple of other Melbourne clubs are interested. When Hase was asked why North would be interested in Mayne he said it was obvious that with North's big forwards the ball was coming out of their forward line way to easily and Mayne is the best in the AFL for stopping this. They also really like his ability in the backline.

So whilst some maybe celebrating his going we really didn't have many players that were the best or even close to the best at anything in the AFL. I suppose the good news is that North are chasing hard and the compensation should be reasonable unlike what we will receive for some of the others that are going.

Gotta love the selflessness that Mayne displayed last Sunday by not taking any of the celebration away from Pav when he knew it was his last game, but the tears at the end of the game said it all. He loved playing for Freo, tried his guts out always (no jogging next to his opponent like so many others), well played Mayney.

Interesting listening to the ABC today with Duffield and Haselby. Basically confirmed again that North Melbourne are the favourites (it cant be signed at this stage) but a couple of other Melbourne clubs are interested. When Hase was asked why North would be interested in Mayne he said it was obvious that with North's big forwards the ball was coming out of their forward line way to easily and Mayne is the best in the AFL for stopping this. They also really like his ability in the backline.

So whilst some maybe celebrating his going we really didn't have many players that were the best or even close to the best at anything in the AFL. I suppose the good news is that North are chasing hard and the compensation should be reasonable unlike what we will receive for some of the others that are going.

Gotta love the selflessness that Mayne displayed last Sunday by not taking any of the celebration away from Pav when he knew it was his last game, but the tears at the end of the game said it all. He loved playing for Freo, tried his guts out always (no jogging next to his opponent like so many others), well played Mayney.

Totally agree, the last paragraph you said it all.

So whilst some maybe celebrating his going we really didn't have many players that were the best or even close to the best at anything in the AFL.
Wait, he's the "best in the AFL" because Haselby said so? :huh:

This is the biggest myth perpetuated by the Mayne nostalgiasts. He is far from it and has been nowhere near it since 2013.

Loved Hase as a player but his opinions are up there with the most moronic media identities in this town. Didn't Hasleby also suggest we should trade Neale? :drunk:

There was once a point where Mayne was arguably the best pressure forward in the game, those days are long behind him. I have been a vocal critic because at an age where most players in the system are improving or hitting their peak, he has stagnated and in some areas gone completely to s**t. I don't begrudge him for moving on, in fact I am more inclined to begrudge him for staying at this point. He was a great servant of the club, a great contributor to charities and has made a fantastic impact at a community level, in particular the Starlight Foundation he has championed in his time at the club. It's not even really entirely his fault there is so much angst towards him, he should have been dropped regularly in the past two years but has kept getting picked despite stinking it up.

Seeing as he is turning his back on our club that has continued to pick him and offered him a contract to stay to chase bigger dollars and a longer contract whilst severely under-performing, I personally won't be sad to see him go. I do genuinely hope for his sake though he can turn his career around and get back to somewhere near his best, as at his peak he got the absolute best out of himself.

More so, I hope we get the highest level of compensation we can, and if North haven't watched him play for the past two years and want to offer him 4 years on big coin, well, hallelujah! :rainbow:

Unless you're a 353 game player. You can just retire with you head held high.
At least Pav's were more like 40m, seriously if you are a league footballer and can't kick those from 30m give the game away. WAFL guys very rarely miss from there. Heck even F grade ammos.

At least Pav's were more like 40m, seriously if you are a league footballer and can't kick those from 30m give the game away. WAFL guys very rarely miss from there. Heck even F grade ammos.
Not the woman kicking from right in front, 20m out for a million dollars recently..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back