The Good, The Bad and the Ugle - NAB Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
* Collingwood - Our ability to turn it on when needed reminds me of Geelong at there best. It's a great feeling knowing that.

I agree with everything you said except this. That's a terrible thing for our game plan because if you switch off at times with the type of style we play the opposition will cut you to ribbons.

I would much rather a four quarter effort from the boys than them thinking they only need to do what is required to win. I also feel that that ultimately lead to Geelong's down fall because they underestimated their opponents, we need to be hungry and switched on all the times.

Can I just say one good thing - How good is Beams' kick into 50?!

No matter where he is or what pressure he is under, his kick into 50 will hit a target - none of these kick and hopes like we sometimes pull off.

Was it last year that the retention rate for Beams' kick into the 50 was the highest in the AFL? I'd expect it to be even higher this year.

I guess if I was voting for best on 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 basis I would go

5. Thomas
4. Shaw
3. Krak
2. Davis
1. Dawes

And that leaves out Buckley and Pendles who were also both very good

If I was voting on a similar basis the other way for those that didn't perform so well, I would go

5. Taz
4. Jolly
3. JMac
2. Wood
1. Dids

But to clarify; I think Taz is still learning the game plan and Jolly and Dids are doing nothing more than having a run.

Ugly

* Channel 7 not showing the replay of Ryders hands in the back on Keefe, rather having the editor obviously view it, seeing it was a bad decision and then not play it.

They showed the replay at the game and it was forearm. That being said a push in the back should be free against whether it be hands or forearm. Did channel 7 show the replay of Swans one?

I thought Collingwood's biggest positive by a long way was Dawes. He really looks to have gone past Cloke.

As for negatives I thought your backmen kept trying to jump on the back of Essendons forwards when there was no need for them to.

The Good:

-Finally the bloody NAB cup is over and we can get on with the real stuff.
-Our class showed through in the end despite being pushed.
-Krak: what an exciting pick up. Was robbed of a goal in which there was absolutely no advantage at all.
-Daisy: So hard at it, he is just a man on a mission.
-Shaw: Such an underrated player.
-Pendles: All class
-Dawes: Is beginning to bully his opponents.
-Davis: Looks really good in his new position. Looks very fit.

The bad:

-The umpiring: so bloody frustrating. Put the bloody whistle away. 50 metres galore.
-Taz was pretty dreadful. Looks scratchy but should improve.
-Jolly looked like he couldn't be arsed. Fair enough I guess cause it's essentially just a practice match.
-Leon running back into trouble, needs to know when to be creative and when to simply do the right thing and go with the safe option.

The Ugle:

-Jolly's set shot for goal. What a shank.
-The phony celebrations at the end. Honestly why bother.
-Players back chatting. Put a sock in it boys.
-The crazy 6 man interchange bench causing mayhem, not to mention the stupid jumper rules in regards to the substitute. Pedantic.

The lolworthy:
-Heath Shaw jumping out of his skin as the streamers flew everywhere.

I guess if I was voting for best on 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 basis I would go

5. Thomas
4. Shaw
3. Krak
2. Davis
1. Dawes

And that leaves out Buckley and Pendles who were also both very good

If I was voting on a similar basis the other way for those that didn't perform so well, I would go

5. Taz
4. Jolly
3. JMac
2. Wood
1. Dids

But to clarify; I think Taz is still learning the game plan and Jolly and Dids are doing nothing more than having a run.

Nothing wrong with Didak's game. First hitout for the year, one touch, clean hands, and generally used it when he had it. Good first up I thought.

He's going to take till round 4 or so before he's picking up 20-25 plus, so don't expect to much because he's had pretty significant surgery and I'd expect him to play across half forward early before moving into the midfield full time again. I thought what he did last night was all pretty classy.

He didn't get much outside footy which we're used to, but he was clean in close.

Well done on the win boys! I was happy with the way my team fought back in the last quarter but you guys deserved the win for the effort all night.

We had the rub of the green as well, no doubt about that. Still a little peeved though at that 'out on the full' when it was a 3pt margin in the last.

We are just not strong enough at the moment... but we're coming! Great hit out, see you on Anzac Day! You guys are ahead, for sure, but anything can and will happen on the day. :thumbsu:

I agree with everything you said except this. That's a terrible thing for our game plan because if you switch off at times with the type of style we play the opposition will cut you to ribbons.

I would much rather a four quarter effort from the boys than them thinking they only need to do what is required to win. I also feel that that ultimately lead to Geelong's down fall because they underestimated their opponents, we need to be hungry and switched on all the times.
I get what you're saying but the only thing Geelong stuffed up on was the 2008 GF and it's not like they weren't trying then, everything else was fine.

They showed the replay at the game and it was forearm. That being said a push in the back should be free against whether it be hands or forearm. Did channel 7 show the replay of Swans one?
Sure did, which was probably why the Ryder comment was brought up because it was the only one they didn't show. Swan's looked like a push to Winderlich's shoulder/side and he either took a dive or couldn't hold his own weight.

Well yeah I think your right I was probably overstating it a bit it didn't cost them the premiership they just weren't good enough on the day, but I feel that them coasting so much toward the end of the season definitely didn't help there cause. Yeah its ok to acknowledge we have another gear if need be, but the thought of a Collingwood team coasting for 3 quarters and then turning it on to win at the end just isn't a good one for mine.

Also I was disappointed Wood wasn't subbed on earlier last night Jolly was rather underwhelming in the ruck and it might have been a good opportunity to get him up against a tiring Bellchambers and Hille early in the 2nd half. Ultimately it just capped off a rather average pre-season from the big man.

the ugle? wtf

ugle_kirkx.jpg

U mad he isn't your teammate, Josh?

Thought we looked a bit shaky even though i reckon we only did what we had to do.Krak would have to start round 1,Tarrant as well,Even though i haven't been that impressed with him so far,But it will take him a while too fit into the structures.Did's looked good IMO for a guy that hasn't played since October.Swan was only in second cog,Leon looked the best i have seen him for a while.Dawes looked awesome to me,If he keep's that up in the forward line clunking those marks LOOK OUT!Overall very happy.GO PIE's 2011:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah I think your right I was probably overstating it a bit it didn't cost them the premiership they just weren't good enough on the day, but I feel that them coasting so much toward the end of the season definitely didn't help there cause. Yeah its ok to acknowledge we have another gear if need be, but the thought of a Collingwood team coasting for 3 quarters and then turning it on to win at the end just isn't a good one for mine.

Also I was disappointed Wood wasn't subbed on earlier last night Jolly was rather underwhelming in the ruck and it might have been a good opportunity to get him up against a tiring Bellchambers and Hille early in the 2nd half. Ultimately it just capped off a rather average pre-season from the big man.
I think it's more important towards the end of the year to have the team firing full time and then have that mindset going into the finals. Earlier on if they do it to conserve energy then that's ok, but you wouldn't want them to get into the habit of it.

As for Jolly he needs the match fitness so I can understand why he was left on, even if he was rusty.

This is what I meant. Perhaps poorly worded. By nio means do I think we did or should coast moreso, we have another gear in close games to get us over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back