Analysis The good, the bad and the ugly (Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

This Mackay crap is getting boring. It's shows how uneducated football followers on here can be. He played a good game today. I want everyone to watch his running patterns and his link up play. That's why he's in the team. You can't have players that just run around in circles like the Crouch brothers

Agreed. That circle running was only good for a combined 8 coaches votes

Need more 0 vote DMac performances if we're gonna take the next step :p

He copped some negative press plus also apparently there were some harsh truths from Pyke after the Hawthorn game. Was interesting that Jenkins and Smith were our two most improved - they perhaps copped the brunt?

About time. Hopefully it's not like his being dropped to the SANFL where one passable game is enough to let him slack off again.

Needs to be made clear to him that is the standard going forward and anything less means time in the little leagues.

Might have already been mentioned but why do we persist with trying to take pack hangers in our Defensive 50?

Last year, and early this year, we'd almost always have Laird or Brown waiting down at the back of the pack ready to collect and run or chip to safety.

This year every spaz and his dog are going for the mark (not even spoil). Kelly in particular. It's one of the things that's killing us.

Might have already been mentioned but why do we persist with trying to take pack hangers in our Defensive 50?

Last year, and early this year, we'd almost always have Laird or Brown waiting down at the back of the pack ready to collect and run or chip to safety.

This year every spaz and his dog are going for the mark (not even spoil). Kelly in particular. It's one of the things that's killing us.
Really good point. We're obviously encouraging our defenders to back themselves to create intercepts (good) but they're not quite all on the same wave length. Also not quite making the right call about when to try to mark and when to go the spoil. Just seems like they're collectively a bit off at the moment.

I would say if we sat where Brisbane sat or even collingowood it would be killing us as to say! But a little bit of over exageration on the killing word

That Beech one in the last quarter was a particular shocker. Kill the contest and we get to reset; fumble it into the goal square and it's a goal to Matt Wright.

One thing about Cheney as a defender is that he's always aware that the bloke in row E is happy to crumb his spoil when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Beech one in the last quarter was a particular shocker. Kill the contest and we get to reset; fumble it into the goal square and it's a goal to Matt Wright.

One thing about Cheney as a defender is that he's always aware that the bloke in row E is happy to crumb his spoil when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheney is nothing more than a 'good average' footballer but our defence seemed so much better organised last year...not sure if coincidence or not?

I'd like him ready to go by finals for the likes of Menzel, Petracca, Rohan, Johnson etc. Lever showed he doesn't have the athleticism when matched against Curnow so we need Doedee to come in and then we reassess when Cheney ready.

Kids was over for the game on Saturday.

Negatives:

• Hartigan's form worsened - his injury may be a blessing
  • Skills at times - overuse of the handball
  • Milera - great touch with hand and foot but I think he needs a rest
  • Sloane - I think he's just out of form. Nothing to do with the tag I think
  • Beech - the classic too good for SANFL vs not good enough for AFL
  • D-Mac - was thrown under the bus a few times with some handballs given to him but geez D-Mac hit a target mate
  • Jake had a dirty day
Positives:

• JJ was great. I'm his biggest critic but he went in super hard on Saturday. Great performance.
  • Riley Knight - gut busting running and tackling. I don't care that he only gets it 13-15 times. I'll take those other 2 attributes and some goals from him all day every day. Why was he dropped v Hawthorn FFS.
  • Crouch x 2 - Matt awesome. Brad some poor execution but he was a bull in the contest.
  • Browny - I love Luke. Some of the occasions where they got over the top and he saved sometimes 3 on 1 geez he's a fighter - keep going lad!
  • Tex - at about 60% fitness but was awesome with ball in hand
Summary
  • We came up an in-form Bryce, Murphy, Kruz and Cripps who were all over us and we still won - some great resistance from the boys - there was a tricky breeze there all day and the Blues were more than up for the fight. A good 4 points to get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you remember when he did anything else, let me know if you'd like a gif of it!

A shanked kick comes to mind, amongst others, but you've probably captured the most noteworthy.

I actually thought it was one of his better games.

About time. Hopefully it's not like his being dropped to the SANFL where one passable game is enough to let him slack off again.

Needs to be made clear to him that is the standard going forward and anything less means time in the little leagues.
Jenkins has played well since coming back in. Has been our best forward for a month +

Couple of Mackay highlights from the game

Second one is a little unfair, he may be a first year player but Weitering is a 195cm 96kg KPD; a textbook example of 'where was his man and why was he being defended by a much smaller player?', similar to when we see a ruckman marking an i50 inexplicably over Luke Brown.

Second one is a little unfair, he may be a first year player but Weitering is a 195cm 96kg KPD; a textbook example of 'where was his man and why was he being defended by a much smaller player?', similar to when we see a ruckman marking an i50 inexplicably over Luke Brown.
We just need to be patient and give Mackay a few pre-seasons to add a couple of kilos in the gym.

We just need to be patient and give Mackay a few pre-seasons to add a couple of kilos in the gym.
To be fair, Thommo is probably our only midfielder who wins that particular contest. Weitering is bigger than all of our mids, and probably stronger than everyone except Thommo.

Probably unfair on both. Got given a handball under pressure.

Had a half decent game did Mackay. Still not great and I wish we wouldn't select him, but the criticism is unwarranted in this game when there were others who provided less.

Probably unfair on both. Got given a handball under pressure.

Had a half decent game did Mackay. Still not great and I wish we wouldn't select him, but the criticism is unwarranted in this game when there were others who provided less.
He wasn't great, but others were worse. I thought Mackay provided more than Beech, Milera, and Atkins combined.

To be fair to BF, all of those 3 have attracted their fair share of criticism this week, so I'm not claiming that Mackay has been particularly harshly treated by the board this week.

Jenkins has played well since coming back in. Has been our best forward for a month +

When he first got back he was good in a very typical JJ fashion.

But he is starting to bring a bit more physicality to his game so I'm giving credit where credits due.

He wasn't great, but others were worse.

This excuse has been used with Mackay for far too long.

The difference is the next week those who were worse might step up and be in our best.. Mackay is virtually never in our best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back