The great blackout of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh the irony.

A reclying plant that employs 35 people are closing because their electricity bill has gone up by $100k a month.

So not even a company who should be helping the planet can survive the push to renewable energy.

Good one greenies.

Oh the irony.

A reclying plant that employs 35 people are closing because their electricity bill has gone up by $100k a month.

So not even a company who should be helping the planet can survive the push to renewable energy.

Good one greenies.
http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...s/news-story/72bd503c3b2cc6d031e7b3946ea250e7
Power costs claim Adelaide business
A plastics recycling company has blamed South Australia's soaring electricity prices for its closure, with the loss of 35 jobs.

Plastic Granulating Services has gone into liquidation after its electricity bills soared from $80,000 a month to $180,000 a month over the past year and a half.

Managing director Stephen Scherer says the price hikes simply couldn't be absorbed and were the "final straw" for the company founded by his father 38 years ago.

"I am absolutely devastated," Mr Scherer said on Tuesday.

"I literally kept a close daily monitor on electricity prices and at the end of the day we were simply unable to wear the extra expense as we attempted to maintain an appropriate (profit) margin across the business.

Liquidator Stephen Duncan said he was working closely with the company's directors and other stakeholders in a bid to sell or restructure the business.

"We have had some significant initial interest in the business and its assets," Mr Duncan said.

Elite Crow

Now nobody can say SA isn't leading the World in one field of endeavour, they are the undisputed World Champions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-28/sa-has-most-expensive-power-prices-in-the-world/8658434

South Australia power prices to rise to highest in the world on Saturday, energy expert warns

South Australia will overtake Denmark as having the world's most expensive electricity when the country's major energy retailers jack up their prices this Saturday.
Power prices pushing more people into poverty
Anglicare SA's general manager of community services Nancy Penna said demand for the organisation's financial services had increased by as much as 20 per cent this year.

"We've calculated that there are at least 500 additional, new people coming to our services seeking financial assistance and counselling related to their cost of living," she said.

"People will actually state that they can't pay their electricity bills and they're having to make decisions about which bills to pay.

"Do they pay their credit cards? Do they pay their utility bill? Do they buy food for the table?

"People are wondering, when is this all going to end?"

Ms Penna said she believed demand would increase further, when higher power bills started to arrive in the coming financial quarters.

Well I for one sleep better knowing we are doing our part for the planet.
Well, I would sleep better if I wasnt shivering my arse off all night.
that probably has more to do with our shitty construction standards than electricity prices

You have seen my house then?
if its brand new and not built by one of the many companies spitting out garbage I apologise and congratulate you (although it was never intended as a dig at your house mind you).

the vast majority of houses in this country are insulated horrendously though, there's just no way around it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if its brand new and not built by one of the many companies spitting out garbage I apologise and congratulate you (although it was never intended as a dig at your house mind you).

the vast majority of houses in this country are insulated horrendously though, there's just no way around it.

Nah, my house is a very well built, with miles of steel frame windows and exactly zero insulation besides decades of dust.

You were spot on. But back in the day I could at least afford to heat/cool the damn thing.

Nah, my house is a very well built, with miles of steel frame windows and exactly zero insulation besides decades of dust.

You were spot on. But back in the day I could at least afford to heat/cool the damn thing.
yeah, I should have been more specific initially because I didn't mean anyone's house would be falling down around them or anything (although some new houses are going up veeeery cheaply at the moment lol).

What a schmozzle...

http://www.afr.com/business/energy/...ces-rise-64pc-in-june-quarter-20170705-gx5nm5

The normally meek June quarter for electricity markets has been turned on its head with wholesale prices breaking records to an extent that is appalling experts and should scare energy users, regulators and governments. Market trader and analyst Global-ROAM has described the price surges as "gut-wrenching" for energy users in states such as Victoria, where the average price broke the $100 a megawatt-hour barrier. That's up a painful 64 per cent from the second quarter last year, which the analyst notes was already historically high. The average June quarter wholesale price in the country's manufacturing heartland state reached $104.92/MWh, beating the extreme prices seen in the 2007 drought and the highest in the 19 years of the National Electricity Market's history. South Australia was even worse, however, with the average price reaching $115.93/MWh again a record and up almost $35 from the second quarter last year. Queensland and NSW also saw a surge in average prices, although in those states the record set in the drought-stricken June quarter of 2007 stayed intact. Despite relatively benign peak prices in both states, the average climbed to $85.83/MWh in Queensland, and to $93.62/MWh in NSW.

Looks like it’s another part of the world’s turn to have a mass blackout.

The entire southern half of Ireland is blacked out with the remnants of ex-hurricane Ophelia battering the country.

The country has all but shut down for the storm - no petty politics from their leaders, just pleas to stay safe and stay inside.

Elite Crow
SA's not the only incompetent ALP Government, brilliant idea NOT......... to close the Hazelwood coal fired power station and rely on wind power.......and it's not even real hot yet.

Last edited:
Elite Crow
Your Say survey finds South Australians rank power bills, supply over tackling climate change
Paul Starick, Sunday Mail (SA)
December 9, 2017 6:30pm

SOUTH Australians are abandoning support for tackling climate change by cutting carbon emissions in favour of demanding affordable and reliable electricity supply and developing a renewable energy industry. In agenda-setting results on a cornerstone issue for the March state election, more than 3500 respondents overwhelmingly ranked affordability and reliability as the most important components of electricity supply in the Sunday Mail Your Say, SA survey. The online survey, hosted on Advertiser.com.au, found power supply and prices, along with jobs and job security, were overwhelmingly deemed the two biggest issues facing the state. Respondents across all age groups, life stages and areas ranked reducing carbon emissions as the least important of four choices, behind affordable price, reliable supply and a renewable energy industry. This represented a stark contrast from a decade ago, when public support for tackling climate change contributed to Kevin Rudd unseating John Howard as prime minister and the newly elected leader declaring climate change “the defining challenge of our generation”. Labor’s northern Adelaide heartland was least supportive of reducing carbon emissions, which was most popular in the Liberals’ eastern suburbs stronghold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back