The official when the **** is Tim Paine going to be back thread

Remove this Banner Ad

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Such a gun. Would've slotted into the line up beautifully at the minute.

Haven't heard anything since the news about his surgery in December. Could the **** be back for the summer?

The gun with one (a singular) FC hundred?

Talented, but grossly overhyped.

And a lot of 60s and 70s in the season NOBODY made a ton at Bellerive and hardly a score over 220 was made by a team.

The trotting out his century line alone is not a fair stat as the year his batting was talked up Tassie were winning matches off it regardless of weather he crossed the 3 digit mark or not, a far more important stat than sheer number of runs alone. And whats more Thorne I know your cricket smarts are good enough to be well aware of the fact.

But he wont be back until he again proves his fitness will stand up his and his game returns to the level.

When and if he does come back he needs to prove himself over a season in the Shield, Paine is by no means a straight inclusion into the Australian team. His record before the injury is hardly outstanding.

If his glovework is superior and he bats solidly he could come into consideration for the Test team, Wade would seem to be a better option in limited overs for his aggressive batting.

And a lot of 60s and 70s in the season NOBODY made a ton at Bellerive and hardly a score over 220 was made by a team.

The trotting out his century line alone is not a fair stat as the year his batting was talked up Tassie were winning matches off it regardless of weather he crossed the 3 digit mark or not, a far more important stat than sheer number of runs alone. And whats more Thorne I know your cricket smarts are good enough to be well aware of the fact.

But he wont be back until he again proves his fitness will stand up his and his game returns to the level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Paine fan. I'm just surprised that he hasn't made more, especially considering (in theory) only half his FC games would/should have been played in Tasmania, the other half on the road.

FWIW, if he was fit he would be the best option easily. I remain unconvinced by Wade's keeping.

I just don't get the hype. Wade's a little rough around the edges, but he's talented and has shown easily enough to persist with so far.

I just wish they'd let Wade settle into one role...then we could truly see if he's up to it or not.

Is that the same Bellerive Oval that Matthew Wade has 2 centuries on in his 5 matches there with a batting average double that of Tim Paines? :)

Is that the same Bellerive Oval that Matthew Wade has 2 centuries on in his 5 matches there with a batting average double that of Tim Paines? :)
No, it's a different Bellerive Oval.

No, it's a different Bellerive Oval.

spot on Sherb. The year I particularly reference it most certainly is.

My point however Eddie was start putting the runs made or lack of them in context as to how they influenced a match. Tassie still won a number of matches that season and it was not until game 10 until Bailey made a ton, the only one for Tassie for the season yet they were in the mix... Geeves made 99Not out twice mind you... Paine scored runs to win matches.

That is not a definitive argument to say Paine is better than Wade with the bat but to the cricinfo stats readers there is some context to their stats and not just figures.

The issue here is that Paine is a magnificent keeper, not that Wade is a better batsman than Paine. Wade is an adequate keeper, similar to Haddin. They are both good aggressive batsmen and adequate keepers.

Paine is a pretty handy batsman, and a gun keeper. Paine has to get the nod if he is fit.

Is Paine actually a magnificent keeper? I'd go with Hartley over him as a keeper and Nev or Wade over him as a batsmen/keeper.

Overhyped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Paine actually a magnificent keeper? I'd go with Hartley over him as a keeper and Nev or Wade over him as a batsmen/keeper.

Overhyped

so wade is the perfect keeper batsman?
wade is a better batsman and keeper than nev
paine is a good keeper but hartley is great.
wade can do both of these the best to he is the perfect keeper?

thats why he is currently playing as first choice keeper!
if only he was given time to settle in a particular spot.
haddin was given 7 odd years so settle

Paine was skipper of the last big A tour that Aussies went on and won everything. I think it's odds on that he would have been picked ahead of Wade for the Aussie summer if he hadn't been injured. Haddin probably would have been in the test series if not for the sad news about his daughter.

So yes, at present Wade is no 1, but it's by default. It's up to him to make himself undroppable. I'm not sure he's done that yet.

I wanted to stay out of here for fear of invoking the wrath of CAS79...:p

but

i mean come on (and it should be noted haddin was thrown around the batting order quite a bit. in the 87 OD innings he played in he opened in 46 of them, and he batted 3-8 in 41 of those innings)

Yeah Paine would have been picked this summer. Not really up for discussion is it? I mean, we were switching captains and vice captains left, right and centre and Paine had been groomed as at least a possible VC. So unless paine recorded like 5 ducks in a row...

He spent a lot of time at the top of the order as well and we know well all top order bats go on the green decks. Was a chance to play in the Shield Final (very outside chance), was batting at grade level so he should be able to have a good offseason and take next year head on if it goes ok. Might be overhyped but we dont have a lot of quality out there

I was one of those who disapproved of his selection but he's well and truly justified his place.

Even the people who supported him from the very beginning would have to admit, however, that he had not made an obvious case for selection prior to the 2017/18 Ashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back