Player Watch Tom Wilson (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know how Wilson is tracking? Not mentioned in dispatches and no one's getting to see the scratch matches, so its hard to get a read on how he is coming along.
Looked more Involved in the last 2 Weeks in Scratch Matches

Get ready for a massive 2021 from this bloke.

I personally believe a spot will open up for him with De Goey moving into the Midfield and Stevo going to North, I think the club really rate Wilson.
What are his specs? Is he quick, can he kick? Is he tough? Contested ball player, soft? I’ve never seen him play.

What are his specs? Is he quick, can he kick? Is he tough? Contested ball player, soft? I’ve never seen him play.
I don't know anything about him as a footballer. But he was a boomers point guard at 21 and a Vic Under 16 footy rep. To ahve been a boomers point guard, he's got to be bloody coordinated, a good athlete, have a good sense of system structure and spacial awareness and have a work ethic and will to succeed. Considering he already knew the game, unless he's really soft, if they can't make an AFL player of him, there is something wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about him as a footballer. But he was a boomers point guard at 21 and a Vic Under 16 footy rep. To ahve been a boomers point guard, he's got to be bloody coordinated, a good athlete, have a good sense of system structure and spacial awareness and have a work ethic and will to succeed. Considering he already knew the game, unless he's really soft, if they can't make an AFL player of him, there is something wrong.
You don't make it to boomers level if you're soft.

You don't make it to boomers level if you're soft.
I disagree with that. Whilst basketball can get physical, you don't get smashed when you've got the ball. What's made Pendles so great is that when he gets the footy he looks up and assesses the situation like a basketball guard without fear of getting smashed. A lot of incredibly composed kids on the basketball court, stop being composed after they get smashed by a tackler and are disposal rushes in Aussie Rules.

I disagree with that. Whilst basketball can get physical, you don't get smashed when you've got the ball. What's made Pendles so great is that when he gets the footy he looks up and assesses the situation like a basketball guard without fear of getting smashed. A lot of incredibly composed kids on the basketball court, stop being composed after they get smashed by a tackler and are disposal rushes in Aussie Rules.
Courage isn't just about getting smashed, true courage is desperation, if you have the desperation the rest takes care of its self, you don't make that level of basketball without having a strong will to win.

Courage isn't just about getting smashed, true courage is desperation, if you have the desperation the rest takes care of its self, you don't make that level of basketball without having a strong will to win.
There’s different types of courage. In a physical contest, Didak was pretty soft, but he'd be the least likely to flinch when the pressure was on and he was kicking a set shot to win a granny. In that situation, he'd be absolutely fearless and have more courage than any hard nut. Basketballers need Didak style courage more than the physical courage needed for AFL. Admittedly taking it to basket aggressively is a pretty physically courageous act, as is setting your feet and taking a charge.

Last edited:
Very optimistic about what he might show in 2021. Great mobility, a good mark, dual sided, and very good skills. I think much of the work he’s done since arriving is transforming his body from basketballer to footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Wilson could come from nowhere and play a dozen plus games and kick 15 that would be the type of miracle we need next year.

We were bottom 4 for marks inside 50 this year and we’ve compounded that by trading out Stephenson and promising De Goey more midfield minutes.

Our 2021 forward line is set to be the weakest it has been since I can remember.

I don't think the biggest issue is what he can do with the ball when he gets it (e.g. dual sided, good vision, etc). The biggest question is whether or not he can get the ball, and how is he going to do it? What is going to be his main type? Is he going to get it in contested marking situations? Unlikely. Uncontested marking by outworking / outthinking his opponent? Unlikely, although he might be fitter than I think. Get the ball from contested ground ball? Unlikely (not that type). Outside runner? Probably unlikely. Intercept marking defender? Maybe, but I think we'd all like to think of him as someone who can play mid forward, not back.

I don't think the biggest issue is what he can do with the ball when he gets it (e.g. dual sided, good vision, etc). The biggest question is whether or not he can get the ball, and how is he going to do it? What is going to be his main type? Is he going to get it in contested marking situations? Unlikely. Uncontested marking by outworking / outthinking his opponent? Unlikely, although he might be fitter than I think. Get the ball from contested ground ball? Unlikely (not that type). Outside runner? Probably unlikely. Intercept marking defender? Maybe, but I think we'd all like to think of him as someone who can play mid forward, not back.

Thats quite a good summary if a little bleak in outlook. From what he showed in his first year in the VFL, his skills, goal kicking and decision making are very good and for me he showed promise as a mobile leading style of CHF. I did see lots of good presenting, leading towards the ball carrier, showing good smarts on when to lead etc It's fair to say a number of those leading marks didn't stick, but Im inclined to cut him a bit of slack on that. Out of the game for a long time, no AFL tank, no AFL physique, you'd think two full AFL preseasons in the gyn would fix this a lot and a lot of those marks would start sticking.

I found it very puzzling that he was moved to the wing in 2020. I dont doubt that he could play wing, and it would help build his tank, but we aren't exactly chock full of KPF prospects....

If Wilson could come from nowhere and play a dozen plus games and kick 15 that would be the type of miracle we need next year.

We were bottom 4 for marks inside 50 this year and we’ve compounded that by trading out Stephenson and promising De Goey more midfield minutes.

Our 2021 forward line is set to be the weakest it has been since I can remember.
Anything is possible but I would be more focused on Kelly at this point.

The more options we have the better.

Footywire has him listed at 194cm and 77kg's. I'd assume he's significantly heavier than that now. Being groomed to play wing/HF type of role rather than anything his height might suggest. More a Jack Watts type (without the -ve connotations) 3rd tall than a KPP prospect.

Last edited:
Footywire has him listed at 194cm and 77kg's. I'd assume he's significantly heavier than that now. Being groomed to play wing/HF type of role rather than anything his height might suggest. More a Jack Watts type (without the -ve connotations) 3rd tall than a KPP prospect.
His weight hasnt been updated since he started with us. 77kg didnt seem accurate from the word go.

hmmm.. a couple of cms taller than Jack Gunston and hopefully a similar build... would love it if he could play that sort of mobile third tall style. i know we have a few but now that Billy does not seem to get off the ground much we need another mobile marking threat

Thats quite a good summary if a little bleak in outlook. From what he showed in his first year in the VFL, his skills, goal kicking and decision making are very good and for me he showed promise as a mobile leading style of CHF. I did see lots of good presenting, leading towards the ball carrier, showing good smarts on when to lead etc It's fair to say a number of those leading marks didn't stick, but Im inclined to cut him a bit of slack on that. Out of the game for a long time, no AFL tank, no AFL physique, you'd think two full AFL preseasons in the gyn would fix this a lot and a lot of those marks would start sticking.

I found it very puzzling that he was moved to the wing in 2020. I dont doubt that he could play wing, and it would help build his tank, but we aren't exactly chock full of KPF prospects....
Yeah, and that was a little the point I was trying to make. I think he shows good promise when he has the ball (e.g. your point good skills, goal kicking, decision making), but I don't yet see the weapon / point of difference he will bring to be able to get the ball consistently at AFL level against AFL level opponents.

Like you (and most) I hope he becomes that hard working, high ground coverage CHF who gets uncontested marks on the lead up and down the ground, but a) I don't know if he has the tank, and b) these types don't generally blossom in our team anyway because we move it too slow to let them work within some space.

If he plays on the wing, he needs to be able to get the ball on the outside and move in and around contests / stoppages, and cover alot of ground. I get a little bemused when people suggest taller players play on the wing just because they are tall and somewhat mobile - if they can't do the basics of ball accumulation and hard running / linking, then they can't play on the wing, regardless of how tall they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back