• 1.9 frees against
  • 82.29 DT points
Totals
  • 18 goals
  • 11 behinds
  • Named in the best players list 3 times

Cant see why the dogs would bother.
Hmmm win premiership. Sign numpty ole player

Well, we kind of did as we went along, and he performed ok.

I thought he was stiff to get dropped for this week, but we wanted to take a look at Oxley up forward at AFL level, and could afford to go in smaller against the Bulldogs' defence, so we did.

With a full pre-season of planning for him to play at CHF, and getting everyone fit on a regular basis, I think it can work fine. It doesn't have to be for the next five years. If it's serviceable for where we're at in 2017, that's fine and it's a step forward.

He's got the tank and the mobility for it. I think it really comes down to the player's physical capabilities and skillset rather than just their age. If he maintains his body, and maybe even drops a couple of kgs of muscle, I don't see why he couldn't still be serviceable in that role going forward.

Also, there's nobody else on our list currently that I'd have great confidence in playing that CHF role (without taking them away from another spot), so it's not like there's some abundance of alternatives. I'd rather see Moore continue to play and develop as a deep forward (where his contested marking and kicking for goal is best utilised), White doesn't have the consistent marking power to play that CHF role, and Mason Cox is pretty much a FF/ruck type. I wouldn't have any great faith in smaller bodies like Adam Oxley or even Jeremy Howe (prefer to keep him as a defender) having any notable output at CHF, either.

Again, at this stage, there's no great upside on the table (in terms of trade return) in getting rid of Cloke, and at the same time no great disastrous negative in keeping him, either.
Yeah, nah. Sent packing for pick 76.

Who could have predicted that Cloke would be traded out?

Yeah, nah. Sent packing for pick 76.

Who could have predicted that Cloke would be traded out?

As my previous post indicated, I thought he could still play a role at the Pies, but it's hardly a shock that he's gone, since it has been discussed for most of the year. You make yourself expendable if you don't perform as expected, even if you have starred previously.

The pick gained in return is a pretty irrelevant one in the scheme of things (5th Round), so it's little more than a salary dump for the Pies in the end, a delisting without having to pay out the final year of his contract.

Meh, cost nothing, don't pay him much, at worst he gives some depth and good example on the training track.
We definitely need depth in the KPF spot, Cordy is more of a backman than a makeshift forward.
Happy for a nothing pick and ~$200k pa or whatever he's on

Will Cloke play a game for the dogs?

I would imagine he'll play if he's fit, up the ground in a linking CHF role if they're smart, as it's a role Cloke can still be effective in and something the Bulldogs lack.

If anyone thinks he was recruited by the Dogs with the expectation that he'll be a 50+ goal FF again, then they've got the wrong idea. Hopefully the Bulldogs themselves don't stupidly think that, and instead fit him into the role he's more suited for nowdays, that also fits their needs and gameplan.

As my previous post indicated, I thought he could still play a role at the Pies, but it's hardly a shock that he's gone, since it has been discussed for most of the year.
It's certainly no shock to those of us who told you repeatedly he'd be traded out, despite your insistence to the contrary.

You make yourself expendable if you don't perform as expected, even if you have starred previously.
Yeah. No s**t. Did this penny just drop for you?

I would imagine he'll play if he's fit, up the ground in a linking CHF role if they're smart, as it's a role Cloke can still be effective in and something the Bulldogs lack.

If anyone thinks he was recruited by the Dogs with the expectation that he'll be a 50+ goal FF again, then they've got the wrong idea. Hopefully the Bulldogs themselves don't stupidly think that, and instead fit him into the role he's more suited for nowdays, that also fits their needs and gameplan.
I tend to think they took a flyer on him for the potential as the main FF. CHF makes more sense, he wasn't as bad a kick to players as he was to between goal posts.

Has Cloke sworn off the gym or something?

Where'd all his bulk go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back