Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendlebury, Cripps and co are 6’4” centremen.

Lachie Neale 5'9"-5'10", Dion Prestia even shorter, Coniglio about an inch taller. Your point?

Didn’t realise that there are indeed a few on senior lists - about 1 in 5 under 181 cm.
Average height for men overall is 175.6 cm.

Ultimately, it's not how tall they are, it's how good they are.

I'm not saying the odds are not what they are just saying that if you pick up a lad with all the tools except height (apparently the only drawback) in whatever position in the draft he has as much chance of making it as the next guy.

Draft positions are a guide, watchers perceptions of individual players against opposition in their own age group with little personal background or personality investigation. It's fine to dominate in a weight for age race but get that same runner out into mixed company and they may not be so dominant.

For my money Bianco is a highly talented young man pushed down the order because of the current obsession with height.

If he wants it bad enough he will make them eat their words.
Pace and height the issues... but many still had him ranked in the 18 - 25 range, so sounds promising...

There is, however, a limited list of undersized players with average pace who have been standouts in the modern game, so he is fighting against the odds. Sam Mitchell the only notable standout... with most being quick small forwards with tools, or zippy mids that can pressure or go forward.

Obviously found a way to play on the speedy forwards in U18, but feel he'll need to move to the midfield to have a long career. Just arent any small, slow backs in the game these days, as they become too exposed.

The current premiers have approximately 1/3rd of their best 22 between 177-185cm. We have about the same . So height not really an issue.

Pace and height the issues... but many still had him ranked in the 18 - 25 range, so sounds promising...

There is, however, a limited list of undersized players with average pace who have been standouts in the modern game, so he is fighting against the odds. Sam Mitchell the only notable standout... with most being quick small forwards with tools, or zippy mids that can pressure or go forward.

Obviously found a way to play on the speedy forwards in U18, but feel he'll need to move to the midfield to have a long career. Just arent any small, slow backs in the game these days, as they become too exposed.
By 'undersized' I take it you mean less than towering giants - height is a 'fashion' to go with the current 'fashion' of playstyle.

Class is class and doesn't understand height concerns - as you said ask Tom.

The use of 'undersized' is indicative of the totality of brainwashing achieved.

Nothing short of 6'10 is considered 'acceptable' to the many height obsessed posters on this board.
So they love Cox the most.

:cool:

By 'undersized' I take it you mean less than towering giants - height is a 'fashion' to go with the current 'fashion' of playstyle.

My error. So how many players in 2019 AFL Team of the Year are under 183? 5 or 6?

Going on the short videos of him (which is a ridiculous thing to do), his areas of concern seem very Sidey like - small, medium paced, not much physicality. If my video impression is accurate, I can understand why those traits would see someone slide.

Sidey is a top liner with those areas of concern. He overcomes those things because he is outstanding in terms of endurance, balance, skill, game sense, and spacial awareness. Basically if you are small, medium paced and not very physical, you've got to be pretty exceptional in other areas to be a top-line player. Time will tell if Bianco is exceptional enough to excel.

Same Here. The bits of Seen of Trent he did remind fair bit of Steele. Not Tall,Not Fast but Good Endurance(Not as good as Steele), With Good Balance and Very Smart Footballer with Great Disposal.

Well out of the 3 we Drafted I think he is the Most Likely at this very early point of Making it out of the 3. As he more a Footballer then an Athlete which you could say about Rantall

Same Here. The bits of Seen of Trent he did remind fair bit of Steele. Not Tall,Not Fast but Good Endurance(Not as good as Steele), With Good Balance and Very Smart Footballer with Great Disposal.

Well out of the 3 we Drafted I think he is the Most Likely at this very early point of Making it out of the 3. As he more a Footballer then an Athlete which you could say about Rantall
Good question Dave.
Of the three the most likely for me is Rantall.

But we might luck it and all three are ok.

In order I’d go for:

Rantall
Bianco
Ruscoe

Good question Dave.
Of the three the most likely for me is Rantall.

But we might luck it and all three are ok.

In order I’d go for:

Rantall
Bianco
Ruscoe

What you like about Rantall that you think be best out of the 3?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you like about Rantall that you think be best out of the 3?
Elite level athlete.
Broke the records.
Elite focus eg getting to basketball national level (junior level).
Constant improvement in everything he does (by reports).

On that basis, assuming he’s healthy, people like that usually make it.

He’s at a minimum say Tom Phillips standard.

And also what Kevin Sheehan said:

He’ll set his own high standards at training.

I love stuff like that; that’s how you give yourself every chance to succeed.

Bianco, a great footy name!

Kid can play, and we definitely have had one of the steals of the draft.
I still think Rantall and Ruscoe will get senior opportunities before Bianco, but he will play many years of senior footy in the black n white.

nope... average height of an AFL player is 6'2"... so he is 4 inches below this, and hence... undersized. Josh Daicos is the same height, and is classy, but isnt a regular 22 player because he is exposed for height & pace. Would dare say its for these reasons we also took Rantall first. But doesn't mean he can't make it. Would love to have the next Sam Mitchell on our list... but more likeable

nope... average height of an AFL player is 6'2"... so he is 4 inches below this, and hence... undersized. Josh Daicos is the same height, and is classy, but isnt a regular 22 player because he is exposed for height & pace. Would dare say its for these reasons we also took Rantall first. But doesn't mean he can't make it. Would love to have the next Sam Mitchell on our list... but more likeable

Kevin Sheenan said there was a bit Sam Mitchell in him when we drafted him

Elite level athlete.
Broke the records.
Elite focus eg getting to basketball national level (junior level).
Constant improvement in everything he does (by reports).

On that basis, assuming he’s healthy, people like that usually make it.

He’s at a minimum say Tom Phillips standard.

And also what Kevin Sheehan said:

He’ll set his own high standards at training.

I love stuff like that; that’s how you give yourself every chance to succeed.

You make some good points with his Hard Work at Training and has that High Standared in those Area

My error. So how many players in 2019 AFL Team of the Year are under 183? 5 or 6?

Just for a bit more perspective on the height issue - how many players under 183cm made the top 10 in their club's B&F in 2019?

List is below - top 3 finishes are noted, or highest finisher is none from a club were top 3:

Adelaide: Sloane (2nd), Laird (3rd), M. Crouch, McKay
Brisbane: Neale (1st), Zorko (2nd)
Carlton: E. Curnow (2nd), Murphy, Simpson, Petrovski-Seton
Collingwood: Treloar (4th)
Essendon: Merrett (1st), Shiel (2nd), Saad (3rd), McGrath, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Parish
Fremantle: Walters (2nd), Hill (3rd), E. Langdon
Geelong: Dahlhaus (6th), Ablett, Miers
Gold Coast: MacPherson (3rd), Harbrow, Miller, Miles
GWS: Greene (8th)
Hawthorn: Hardwick (5th), Impey
Melbourne: (none)
North Melbourne: (none)
Port Adelaide: Byrne-Jones (2nd)
Richmond: Prestia (1st), Edwards (2nd), Lambert, Castagna/Rioli
St Kilda: Gresham (6th)
Sydney: Papley (4th), Lloyd
West Coast: Gaff (4th), Ryan
Western Bulldogs: Johannisen (4th), Daniel, Lloyd

Not sure whether you can draw any conclusions regarding height specifically, as there are all different types in the group above.

Just for a bit more perspective on the height issue - how many players under 183cm made the top 10 in their club's B&F in 2019?

List is below - top 3 finishes are noted, or highest finisher is none from a club were top 3:

Adelaide: Sloane (2nd), Laird (3rd), M. Crouch, McKay
Brisbane: Neale (1st), Zorko (2nd)
Carlton: E. Curnow (2nd), Murphy, Simpson, Petrovski-Seton
Collingwood: Treloar (4th)
Essendon: Merrett (1st), Shiel (2nd), Saad (3rd), McGrath, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Parish
Fremantle: Walters (2nd), Hill (3rd), E. Langdon
Geelong: Dahlhaus (6th), Ablett, Miers
Gold Coast: MacPherson (3rd), Harbrow, Miller, Miles
GWS: Greene (8th)
Hawthorn: Hardwick (5th), Impey
Melbourne: (none)
North Melbourne: (none)
Port Adelaide: Byrne-Jones (2nd)
Richmond: Prestia (1st), Edwards (2nd), Lambert, Castagna/Rioli
St Kilda: Gresham (6th)
Sydney: Papley (4th), Lloyd
West Coast: Gaff (4th), Ryan
Western Bulldogs: Johannisen (4th), Daniel, Lloyd

Not sure whether you can draw any conclusions regarding height specifically, as there are all different types in the group above.

The conclusion I draw is that height doesn’t matter if you are good enough.

My nephew played with him at Marcellin along with Tyler.

He said he is a mad Pies supporter.

I didn’t even ask him if he rated him because Trent is living all our dreams now........it’s his choice to make it reality.

So you’ve named one player from the last decade who’s had one good year and now I’m proven wrong? Holy s**t your bar is low. Also, I specifically said it’s very unlikely, not impossible, so get back in your smarmy little box.
Jesus Christ, why do you always sound like you’ve just eaten a turd sand which??

In the AA team this year there were only 7 players selected in the first round. The highest pick in the backline outside of Shannon Hurn was pick 42 (Houli).

In terms of player ratings, the following stand out as elite players taken later in the draft:

Neale
Hunter
Sloane
Ross
Zorko
Merret
Kelly
Houli
Crouch
Kennedy
Gawn
McGovern